IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Sounds fine to me. If you have a problem with it then you'll be disappointed in like a fourth of the RDJ album jees. :cerious:

I'll steer clear of that one, then. Thanks for the warning.

I'm tempted to put the chartreuse sticker which was on the plastic directly onto the outer sleeve of the album - that might end up being really awful in a year or so but the cover looks so empty without the little green circle :sad:

I advise against this. I did this with my cd, and when I was smoothing out the sticker on the cover the chartreuse AND black ink smeared all over. Ended up getting all over the white. Tried to get it off and shredded the paper cover.

what the fuck man

I'm tempted to put the chartreuse sticker which was on the plastic directly onto the outer sleeve of the album - that might end up being really awful in a year or so but the cover looks so empty without the little green circle :sad:

I advise against this. I did this with my cd, and when I was smoothing out the sticker on the cover the chartreuse AND black ink smeared all over. Ended up getting all over the white. Tried to get it off and shredded the paper cover.

what the fuck man

stickers printed out at home on inkjet: confirmed

I'll steer clear of that one, then. Thanks for the warning.

And I'll skip those 10 seconds for you every time by now on. Cheers :beer:

You'll be my #1 DJ from now on! :biggrin:

Guest HokusPoker

I like 4 bit 9d as well, but… at 1:24 there's this lovely melody, which is repeated at 1:31 but altered in exactly the way 90% of mediocre producers would do. It makes me cringe everytime. That has never happened with Aphex so far.

Funny, I noticed this as well. I think I can safely say it's the first time I disagree with a compositional choice of his.

Sounds fine to me. If you have a problem with it then you'll be disappointed in like a fourth of the RDJ album jees. :cerious:

Oops, sorry, was wrong then. Better start liking it RIGHT. NOW.

You may be right that this isn't the first time a melody was transformed in a foreseeable way, but this is the first time it bothered me.

Aphex Twin usually means: I don't hear the creator, the music just *is there*. With this melody I heard the process, “Hm, what are we gonna do here, let's cut this note and stretch the others and… yeah, that's alright”. It takes me out of the mood (a mood I never reach with most other musicians).

Sure, sounds nerdy or exaggerated, but it's sort of the standard of way of listening I've come to love so much with his music and it's a bit of a disappointment here.

Guest Abstract Daddy

Just got back from the pub after a hard days drinking and my neighbour has a flat, square package for me. Wonder what it could be?

Yeah dude, first impression was that it was nice enough but a bit meh.

3 or 4 listens in with the aid of alcohol and sleep deprivation opened it up to me.

There's just as much constant but minimal modulation going on here as an autechre album. It's fucking awesome.

I got a package from Bleep in the mail and thought it was Syro..... but it was the other stuff I ordered. I assume the other CD will come later.

However, one of the discs I ordered was the Ventolin EP. I didn't have it after all these years and thought it was strange that Bleep had it in stock. Well, what I got was Ventolin EP 1 inside of the Ventolin EP 2 case... It wasn't sealed and in the wrong case. Strange!

I like 4 bit 9d as well, but… at 1:24 there's this lovely melody, which is repeated at 1:31 but altered in exactly the way 90% of mediocre producers would do. It makes me cringe everytime. That has never happened with Aphex so far.

Funny, I noticed this as well. I think I can safely say it's the first time I disagree with a compositional choice of his.

You may be right that this isn't the first time a melody was transformed in a foreseeable way, but this is the first time it bothered me.

Aphex Twin usually means: I don't hear the creator, the music just *is there*. With this melody I heard the process, “Hm, what are we gonna do here, let's cut this note and stretch the others and… yeah, that's alright”. It takes me out of the mood (a mood I never reach with most other musicians).

Sure, sounds nerdy or exaggerated, but it's sort of the standard of way of listening I've come to love so much with his music and it's a bit of a disappointment here.

I would agree with you if the melody in question was the backbone to the entire tune, but you're talking about a melody that is repeated once with a variation on the original theme and then thrown away

Guest HokusPoker

My opinion so far: Syro is good, but not as good as The Tuss. Melody and sound wise, the Tuss is simply superior.

Yes. So far I think The Tuss is ©leaner and still 'deeper' (I'm talking about the tracks that can be compared).

I would agree with you if the melody in question was the backbone to the entire tune, but you're talking about a melody that is repeated once with a variation on the original theme and then thrown away

I didn't say it ruined the entire track, I still like 4 bit, and it doesn't even ruin that part, I still like that melody, but it was and is a disappointing moment in a good track.

Went out for business without the music player to give Syria a rest. Instant earworms callbacks: Syrobonkus (dat pseudo-guitar hook) and 4bit, two tracks I didn't care much for when actually listening to them.

I'm not implying disappointment in the least here, but I still feel that MiniPops is the most 'developed' song on the entire album, and so it was a bit odd being the first thing we were given in context of the rest of the album. It has absolutely everything I could ask for in a RDJ release - rhythmic complexity, slightly odd chord progression that actually Develops, and the haunting out-of-tune melodic fragments. It's like the rest of the tracks are FUCKING AMAZING but definitely favour only one or two of the aforementioned components, whereas Minipops has them all!

Just my 2cents, might change minds after another 10 listens!

-Ferro-