IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Off the speculation train for a sec to share a personal story (still very much to do with Syro of course)

So I've been headphones in, full on obsession mode since the album was announced. Either listening to the live recordings, revisiting old releases, then when Syro came out, obviously wearing that out big time. The whole time, the GF wondering what EXACTLY have I been so crazy about. I would sort of pass it off with " oh its this crazy guy that makes really weird techno that I have loved for like 15 years, he is releasing a new album. I've been waiting for this FOREVER etc." The whole time thinking she would basically hate this music.

And even as "welcoming" Syro is I still though, well, it can't be THAT welcoming for someone that thinks if there is no singing and guitar it is immediately shit. So the LP came in yesterday and she is like "I'm listening to this, I've never seen you this way." I was actually weirdly nervous. So to make a long story short she listened to XMas Eve and LOVED it. And even the Circlon stuff which I basically warned her about, she would listen to it and just keep laughing.. and said it was really fun and entertaining. And with Aisatsana she got a little teary.. especially after I told her he made it for his wife. Now this morning she texted me saying "ahhh I just want to listen to more aphex twin, I can't get it out of my head, I see why you love it."

I guess part of the reason I'm sharing this is I thought it was pretty amazing this album has the ability to attract someone not into electonic music whatsoever. Its sort of a testament to how truly good Aphex is, despite it being "weird". No wonder so many of us got so damn into it back in the day. It is powerful music actually. This is his "fun light album" but if its the first time you have ever heard anything like this, it can open you up to this "world" just like RDJ album did for many of us or SAW1 did for the real old timers <- ;)

Ok I'm done now.

that's a cool story!

when minipops came out i actually sent the soundcloud link to my mom saying "i think you might like the sound of syro", she really enjoyed it! now that i've heard syro i'm kind of nervous cause from 180db onwards it gets quite weird (not as weird as other stuff by him, but for a first time aphex listener?). so i'm really excited what her reaction will be like, i'm hoping for "some tracks are strange, but somehow i listen to them again and again and now i really enjoy them" :-D...

i'm having a stupid problem with Syro. Like a good % on this board, I try my hand at IDM. Of course I'm not very talented and dont have the scratch for decent gear, but I try, I try. It's all slightly embarrassing.

Anyway, I can't stop trying to figure out tracks on Syro. This leads me to looping one measure at a time and breaking it down and trying to rebuild it Reason or something like that. I wake up in the middle of the night with basslines in my head like a fever dream. I imagine others here have encountered this problem-- should i take a few days off from Syro? I realize this all sounds silly but it's making it hard for me to just enjoy this thing.

i'm having a stupid problem with Syro. Like a good % on this board, I try my hand at IDM. Of course I'm not very talented and dont have the scratch for decent gear, but I try, I try. It's all slightly embarrassing.

Anyway, I can't stop trying to figure out tracks on Syro. This leads me to looping one measure at a time and breaking it down and trying to rebuild it Reason or something like that. I wake up in the middle of the night with basslines in my head like a fever dream. I imagine others here have encountered this problem-- should i take a few days off from Syro? I realize this all sounds silly but it's making it hard for me to just enjoy this thing.

your avatar is a perfect companion to your post. just stop it and you are good to go. if there's one thing that syro is all about is being yourself artistically, so there's no use in trying to replicate that. Enjoy yourself, fall in love, feel good. Music will follow.

your avatar is a perfect companion to your post. just stop it and you are good to go. if there's one thing that syro is all about is being yourself artistically, so there's no use in trying to replicate that. Enjoy yourself, fall in love, feel good. Music will follow.

word!

Believe in yourself! Get inspired by Syro, but follow your own path. And remember that not every bit of kit on the lp is costs a fortune, there's stuff on there that just about everybody could afford.

Engage!

just found my invite to the NYC listening party in my spam folder.

:cerious:

That's what happened to me too with the london event :( but I discovered on the same day of the event just 8 hours before it was due and I couldn't find a reasonably priced airiplane ticket to go there... I was mad about it for two days in a row

Edited by pierlu

I just woke up had a dream last night that Joyrex's big news was that he was going to exclusively host the new Aphex Twin video on WATMM.

In my dream, I woke up, logged on to watmm (after marching through a field of black quicksand with some soldiers, naturally) and found the video had been posted. In the thread, Joyrex had described the video as a "Parliament-inspired funk piece" but the video was just a shitty, handycam clip of a midget in a Windowlicker mask messing around on some playground equipment.

"The Aphex Twin"

Good though. I like Alexis.

I thought it was surprisingly good too. Also I noticed "the old timers" always call him 'THE aphex twin'. He must have went by that back in the day. I sort of like it. Seems not human or something ha. Like 'the alien aphex twin has landed' (not far from the truth)

lol basicly he shares my point of view about syro cool

I just woke up had a dream last night that Joyrex's big news was that he was going to exclusively host the new Aphex Twin video on WATMM.

In my dream, I woke up, logged on to watmm (after marching through a field of black quicksand with some soldiers, naturally) and found the video had been posted. In the thread, Joyrex had described the video as a "Parliament-inspired funk piece" but the video was just a shitty, handycam clip of a midget in a Windowlicker mask messing around on some playground equipment.

cool dream

Edited by pierlu

I HAD THE SAME DREAM

I HAD THE SAME DREAM

I dreamed that you guys dreamed that... Aphexeption

If Fantano's reading, this is how you do a video review

(just a shame he pronounced Autechre as 'Awwtekrah' WRONG WRONG WRONG)

I pronounced it that way for years.. and my bad habit carried over to my friends. doh. The right way still sounds wrong to me.

I don't see anything other than new music being worth being excited about. Unless WATMM becomes the official portal of everything RDJ related.

No, trust me - this will be very exciting - when (if) this comes to fruition, it will blow peoples' minds - it blew mine!

giphy.gif

Guest jasondonervan

I pronounced it that way for years.. and my bad habit carried over to my friends. doh. The right way still sounds wrong to me.

0:10

I don't see anything other than new music being worth being excited about. Unless WATMM becomes the official portal of everything RDJ related.

No, trust me - this will be very exciting - when (if) this comes to fruition, it will blow peoples' minds - it blew mine!

And you thought druqks was quite good!... I wonder if my mind will explode lol

And you thought druqks was quite good!... I wonder if my mind will explode lol

no, but you'll be able to do this

tumblr_mkk3vgy6OV1s9qyxvo1_400.gif

+1 on both counts. When I heard Syro I thought there was no point in me making anything ever again but a few days later I'm making desperately average tunes the way I want to make them without thinking whether it will sell/be popular with people.

0:10

Rob and Sean are wrong. (wish I heard this many years ago)