IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Off the speculation train for a sec to share a personal story (still very much to do with Syro of course)

So I've been headphones in, full on obsession mode since the album was announced. Either listening to the live recordings, revisiting old releases, then when Syro came out, obviously wearing that out big time. The whole time, the GF wondering what EXACTLY have I been so crazy about. I would sort of pass it off with " oh its this crazy guy that makes really weird techno that I have loved for like 15 years, he is releasing a new album. I've been waiting for this FOREVER etc." The whole time thinking she would basically hate this music.

And even as "welcoming" Syro is I still though, well, it can't be THAT welcoming for someone that thinks if there is no singing and guitar it is immediately shit. So the LP came in yesterday and she is like "I'm listening to this, I've never seen you this way." I was actually weirdly nervous. So to make a long story short she listened to XMas Eve and LOVED it. And even the Circlon stuff which I basically warned her about, she would listen to it and just keep laughing.. and said it was really fun and entertaining. And with Aisatsana she got a little teary.. especially after I told her he made it for his wife. Now this morning she texted me saying "ahhh I just want to listen to more aphex twin, I can't get it out of my head, I see why you love it."

I guess part of the reason I'm sharing this is I thought it was pretty amazing this album has the ability to attract someone not into electonic music whatsoever. Its sort of a testament to how truly good Aphex is, despite it being "weird". No wonder so many of us got so damn into it back in the day. It is powerful music actually. This is his "fun light album" but if its the first time you have ever heard anything like this, it can open you up to this "world" just like RDJ album did for many of us or SAW1 did for the real old timers <- ;)

Ok I'm done now.

Afx needs to live forever so he can make music forever, and needs to make a philosophers stone to do so. We get the once in a lifetime chance to enter into a 400 person ballot in the hopes we'll be chosen as a sacrifice. He will forever tell interviewers that he was touched that his fans sacrificed themselves for the chance.

if i dont live forever whats the point

you live forever as a part of afx, like liquid snake

Off the speculation train for a sec to share a personal story (still very much to do with Syro of course)

So I've been headphones in, full on obsession mode since the album was announced. Either listening to the live recordings, revisiting old releases, then when Syro came out, obviously wearing that out big time. The whole time, the GF wondering what EXACTLY have I been so crazy about. I would sort of pass it off with " oh its this crazy guy that makes really weird techno that I have loved for like 15 years, he is releasing a new album. I've been waiting for this FOREVER etc." The whole time thinking she would basically hate this music.

And even as "welcoming" Syro is I still though, well, it can't be THAT welcoming for someone that thinks if there is no singing and guitar it is immediately shit. So the LP came in yesterday and she is like "I'm listening to this, I've never seen you this way." I was actually weirdly nervous. So to make a long story short she listened to XMas Eve and LOVED it. And even the Circlon stuff which I basically warned her about, she would listen to it and just keep laughing.. and said it was really fun and entertaining. And with Aisatsana she got a little teary.. especially after I told her he made it for his wife. Now this morning she texted me saying "ahhh I just want to listen to more aphex twin, I can't get it out of my head, I see why you love it."

I guess part of the reason I'm sharing this is I thought it was pretty amazing this album has the ability to attract someone not into electonic music whatsoever. Its sort of a testament to how truly good Aphex is, despite it being "weird". No wonder so many of us got so damn into it back in the day. It is powerful music actually. This is his "fun light album" but if its the first time you have ever heard anything like this, it can open you up to this "world" just like RDJ album did for many of us or SAW1 did for the real old timers <- ;)

Ok I'm done now.

Same happened with my girlfriend. Played it to her last Saturday and she liked nearly all of it.

Theory - Richard's next album will be a brainmelting fuckfest due to the increase in interest from the mainstream.

Guest BunnyRabbit

A book?

A documentary.

A studio tour video?

A Sound On Sound interview?

Saw2 repress?

Rephlex back catalogue all online?

Guest LoveRhino

Fresh is such a subjective term when it comes to anything except food or time since death (and even then only depending on the perceiver's sense of taste or smell). I would consider this music fresh, then again that is my opinion.

I am happy opinions are divided on this album: if people didn't dislike it then whom would I feel more superior then? Hmm?

Reviews only really ever indicate the ability of the writer to convey his own opinions (whether blinkered, well informed or blinded by rage/love/hate) about the subject under review. Reviews would be better served with a simple "yes" or "no". They'd be just as useful in the end and would leave more paper/data for the rest of us to fill with pointless bile/bilge.

Why are you even reading this? My opinion doesn't matter to anyone. By the way, I love this album and have been thoroughly amused by the rants of others on this subject. Thanks.

Ok I'm done now.

Same happened with my girlfriend. Played it to her last Saturday and she liked nearly all of it.

Theory - Richard's next album will be a brainmelting fuckfest due to the increase in interest from the mainstream.

I got my mom into aphex beat that

my sister likes it, but she has good taste unlike your pleb gfs lmao

there's a lot of internalized misogyny going on right now

xD

Yeah we get it, ironic shitposting, totally hilarious, you can stop now

Someone had to say it

I got my mom into aphex beat that

got my grandma into aphex. not just the piano stuff either, she impresses me.

My grandma only likes Venetian Snares unfortunately.. just can't get her into Aphex.

The spirits of my Ancestors have sent Crow their messenger to tell me that new Aphex Twin pleases them. Many moons have they waited for this.

Edited by baph