IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Well I think it's fantastic.

I agree that it feels a bit underwhelming and that the tracks lack some sort of progression or even structure, but this last part I see as something commendable, I think it's commendable that the tracks are cohesive despite not having sections, this was also a theme in rushup edge: constant flow.

Needless to say that the production and attention to detail is impressive, having so many shit happening without ever feeling overwhelming.

I also feel like it's a mix of tributes to a lot of genres and styles, it has everything from jungle to 303 acid bass to hippie bongo drums to 4 to the floor to break beat to ambient. And while it feels like aphex is not 'showing off' he's doing his take on a lot of diverse styles, even his own, and saying I can do it too and this is how I can do it.

RDJ: I've been doing loads of electro-mechanical stuff with drum robots and things like that. I've got four MIDI pipe organs and a Disklavier controlled piano and computer-controlled percussion. I've done loads of stuff with those, and none of that's on [syro], that's all for other projects. That other material is maybe even better than—well, I prefer it to this album, but I don't think it's as accessible. But it's more unique. Maybe these [syro] tracks are more pleasurable to listen to, but it's not that new for me. Maybe just the composition's changed, but there's no next-level beats on there. I've kept it like that on purpose. All the other stuff, which is kind of uncategorizable, is waiting to be fitted into another folder somewhere.

Oooooo, speculations! Nice!

So, if I mix the following stuff together:

-bigger than kickstarter

-watmm needs a new server

- rdj wouldnt be arsed managing his own bandcamp

- papa has experience setting up bandcamp and managing that shit

Than...

Wouldnt it be possible that papa bear is working to set up an alternative bandcamp on the watmm servers where rdj might be able to release some old archives shit. Wouldnt be surprised if Grant was involved himself as well.

Whats an interesting idea is that watmm already has some sort of income based on memberships. Classic recordlabels, or bandcamp miss that part of the economic equation. So this type of economic model might be interesting. Even if it's possible for non members to buy the music as well...

Ok, this is just a silly idea..

I love all this action at once happening lately. I wonder what Joyrex is talking about. Well he said it isn't MFM or anything music related (as in an Aphex Twin release), it isn't an AMA... so I don't see many options left.

My take is: Rephlex resurrection with kickstarter sort of thing/brand new label with Grant, Richard and Joyrex finally conquering the world with top quality braindance.

just listened to this on a nice hi-fi. you guys, find a way to listen to this on a good system. that's what it's meant for. aphex has evolved to a point where lesser speakers can't handle his real work. they crumple the resolution and release a distorted likeness. seriously. i've listened to drukqs and the tuss on the same system and it was not nearly the same revelation. there's so much in there. track 11 may be a better finale than ziggomatic was for drukqs. aisatsana the peaceful come-down from a frenetic journey. album's incredible.

Edited by very honest

Guest totemcrackerjack

Ok all you fuckers need to stop your boring talk, cause I hear something silly in that syro track ole afexcks put up. Listen carefully to the intro in your right ear. Hear that high pitch almost tinnitusesque pitch? I have one question and one question only: why?

Ok all you fuckers need to stop your boring talk, cause I hear something silly in that syro track ole afexcks put up. Listen carefully to the intro in your right ear. Hear that high pitch almost tinnitusesque pitch? I have one question and one question only: why?

Woah yeah wtf. It's in the right ear, but throughout the song totally pans to the middle a few times. It also sounds like it's ducking sometimes before the beat hits. Hmmmmm.

Listen to it at 0:29, it pans to the middle. :cerious:

Okay after doing some advanced mathematics I have the answer. He added it in to phase out his own tinnitus because he originally didn't intend to release the song. But only for this song. Because.

Edited by Brisbot

Guest totemcrackerjack

Okay after doing some advanced mathematics I have the answer. He added it in to phase out his own tinnitus because he originally didn't intend to release the song. But only for this song. Because.

If that's the case it's damn depressing. I have tinnitus and it isn't anywhere near that low a pitch. :sad:

Edited by totemcrackerjack

just read forward from 296

an AMA with Aphex Twin would make watmm implode

It will end badly. Corpses everywhere.

Would be awesome... but can the server space this is hosted on handle such a thing? Would be FLOODED.

Watmm crashed twice during the announcement of Syro and the release of Minipops, and that was just with 700 users being logged in, not to mention the lurkers

OK, just so nobody wastes their time...

Probably no announcement today - still in the works, no idea when things will be in a state to make any sort of announcement, etc.

It is NOT MFM - not even any new music - SYRO just came out!

An AMA would be nice, but not sure if Richard would be up for it or not - time will tell. But it's not an AMA, either.

We are planning a server upgrade to handle the increased load with these kinds of announcement - wanted to have it in place for SYRO's debut but things didn't work out, so we will hopefully have that in place before this announcement drops.

Edited by isaki

Joyrex, please tell me, does it have anything to do with the fuggin dropcards.

My guess is "no".

Joyrex mentioned 'other surprises' or whatever.... still haven't figured out the badger thing yet either...

I remain... titillated. Even if nothing on the immediate horizon. Seems pretty damn confirmed lots of cool things happening in Aphex-Land in the near future. In a small way I don't want something right away. My obsessiveness has made me neglect way too many aspects of my life this last week lol. Sad but true.

It makes me happy to hear I'm not alone on this. I haven't gotten SHIT done all week. It's actually kinda scary how obsessed I've been over all of this lately. I think there's a chance my wife may be genuinely worried about me.

No regrets at all tho! It's all so much fun :D

amazing album. i can't wait to listen to it tomorrow on my headphones at home. mercifully, i found/bought a bag of bomb. i remember the summer i "discovered" analord (because i began lurking watmm) when i got home and listened to phontacid, it was a holy shit moment. it sounded like the sound was coming right from my brain, but that was also my original amp (rip).

i can even be a snob a listen to the 24-bit .wavs, yay

Woah yeah wtf. It's in the right ear, but throughout the song totally pans to the middle a few times. It also sounds like it's ducking sometimes before the beat hits. Hmmmmm.

Listen to it at 0:29, it pans to the middle. :cerious:

i don't hear it. is it in the background somewhat?