IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

Someone please explain how free speech works in the US. Is intimidation allowed? Like militia shouting jews will not replace them? Having a hard time believing that shit is legal.

Someone please explain how free speech works in the US. Is intimidation allowed? Like militia shouting jews will not replace them? Having a hard time believing that shit is legal.

Here's what the law says:

https://www.loc.gov/law/help/peaceful-assembly/us.php

and I'm sure back before electricity, torches were the defacto method of night time lighting, but they became a symbol of racial intimidation, along with burning crosses thanks to the KKK. Supposedly they had a permit to protest, and if it hadn't gone violent, were they breaking any laws? I believe hate crimes laws are a more recent development in American law, but the ACLU has taken up the cause of these people somewhat, so who knows WTF is going on. It also has to do with public vs private property for demonstration locations, i.e. pro-life protesters, Westboro Baptist Church, etc.

I'm not sure it's cut and dried. I know that if you're straight up threatening someone specifically with actual violence then that could deemed a crime. Generalities often aren't though. Basically it errs on the side of say absolutely anything you want, but know that if you cross a line and the right person (private citizen, cop, anyone who wants to waste vast amounts of time on it basically) is watching and has proof and wants to do something about it, they can make a case in court.

I'm no legal historian so I'm speaking generally here, but iirc there are cases of threatening presidents with violence or whatever where the person got a slap on the wrist if anything, and others where people were hauled in before publicly speaking a word but had detailed plans to do things...

You can say pretty much anything you want, but there could be consequences if you cross those very blurry lines.

and I'm sure back before electricity, torches were the defacto method of night time lighting, but they became a symbol of racial intimidation, along with burning crosses thanks to the KKK. Supposedly they had a permit to protest, and if it hadn't gone violent, were they breaking any laws? I believe hate crimes laws are a more recent development in American law, but the ACLU has taken up the cause of these people somewhat, so who knows WTF is going on. It also has to do with public vs private property for demonstration locations, i.e. pro-life protesters, Westboro Baptist Church, etc.

I noticed this at the bottom of the page which might be relevant:

"The First Amendment does not provide the right to conduct an assembly at which there is a clear and present danger of riot, disorder, or interference with traffic on public streets, or other immediate threat to public safety or order.  Statutes that prohibit people from assembling and using force or violence to accomplish unlawful purposes are permissible under the First Amendment."

I anticipate a lot of triggered alt-right butthurt at the end of October.

check out the game's official Facebook page comments for a neverending train wreck

lol I stopped using Facebook a week ago for that very reason

People might have read this a while ago but even on seemingly apolitical stuff like interest in science, the US is pulling in two

Anyone want to make a long bet on a second American civil war before the end of the century?

i'd bet the country will just go SnowCrash and split up into regions and separate entities if a civil war happens. it'll be ugly.. people will run out of stuff.. bombs will go off.. 

we'll see. really depends on who the president is at the time and the strength of federal institutions which are currently being ravaged by this administration.. it's a goal steve bannons to destroy the federal adminsitrative state.. 

"The First Amendment does not provide the right to conduct an assembly at which there is a clear and present danger of riot, disorder, or interference with traffic on public streets, or other immediate threat to public safety or order.  Statutes that prohibit people from assembling and using force or violence to accomplish unlawful purposes are permissible under the First Amendment."

link doesnt work for me. :(

the assembly thing seems covered, i guess, because they had a permit.

what i don't get is that it's allowed to have an armed assembly and collectively shouting hate speech and having lots of signs of aggressions towards groups of people (kkk and nazi symbolism and all that). to me that looks like something which goes beyond free speech.

yeah people should be allowed to be able to say what they think. individually. but collectively and basically armed and in a uniform, that's another level in my books. that goes beyond free speech of an individual. that's basically threatening and bullying other us citizens. acts of aggression. ultimately leading into an actual act of terror with the car thing. imo, the free speech didnt end with that guy using his car as a bowling ball but way earlier.

as far as i'm concerned it ended the night before when the protesters were threatening those people in the synagog. even without any physical violence, the threat must have been real/palpable enough for it to have been illegal. imooo

basically, free speech says you can express things you like/dislike about religion or government without government inference as long as you don't stop those establishments from operating. so if you're an american, you can gather with fellow law abiding americans and make signs that say "i disagree with the practices of X religion" and cops won't come and stop you (obviously as long as you're not on their property or blocking traffic to and from their places of worship and/or business)

the problem is that today, the world has become a little more complex so we're always stretching this meaning. eg: here in los angeles, there has been a lot of grievances filed by women - and marches done by women and their supporters- to allow them to go topless. now technically, this isn't something that would be protected under the traditional freedom of speech act, by in 2016+ it's something the council takes seriously considering their making said grievance under the terms of allowing equality for all genders and the marked interest in american citizens peacefully rallying together with a common request: may i freely show my boobs whilst in venice around the beach areas

now had the women made threats to either show their boobs in those areas (currently not allowed) or threaten members of the council or public with disrupting businesses or such, then you'd be hearing of court cases or some jail time (or both?).

so i hope that answers the 2nd part of your question: are you allowed to make threats/intimidations: answer- no.

what do you mean? the entire world has run on slavery and racism. if not now, at least in the past.

to me, the us at the moment looks like a cat coughing up a hairball. looks awful now, but once the hairball (trump) is out, all will be ok (ish) again.

the entire world has run on slavery and racism.

no man it ran on heritage and freedum and now theres this and a war on christmas and sharia law in mall found courts

:cry:

jk, when the world gets absurd i get sarcastic

to me, the us at the moment looks like a cat coughing up a hairball. looks awful now, but once the hairball (trump) is out, all will be ok (ish) again.

the is a great metaphor

link doesnt work for me. :(

the assembly thing seems covered, i guess, because they had a permit.

what i don't get is that it's allowed to have an armed assembly and collectively shouting hate speech and having lots of signs of aggressions towards groups of people (kkk and nazi symbolism and all that). to me that looks like something which goes beyond free speech.

yeah people should be allowed to be able to say what they think. individually. but collectively and basically armed and in a uniform, that's another level in my books. that goes beyond free speech of an individual. that's basically threatening and bullying other us citizens. acts of aggression. ultimately leading into an actual act of terror with the car thing. imo, the free speech didnt end with that guy using his car as a bowling ball but way earlier.

as far as i'm concerned it ended the night before when the protesters were threatening those people in the synagog. even without any physical violence, the threat must have been real/palpable enough for it to have been illegal. imooo

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

thisfuckinguy.......only teasing.....

it looks very blurry where the lines between something constitutional and an ultra-right convergence merge and then completely take the piss with an onslaught of organized abuse

as for the police, as a foreigner if this had been a domestic incident, where some cuntish foolery ultra-right group like the English Defense League/EDL had targeted anything Islamic/Semitic or whatever their unflavour of the month was, the filth/police here would have been lining up as an excuse to A) kick fuck out of everyone and B) get paid double time for the privilege.

i also dont quite get the whole open carry militia presence, these "Light Foot" (you gotta chuckle at the old military allusions) brigade militia blokes, guns sprawling, that adds a powder keg element if they perceived a threat on their members at some moment of madness

the thing that made another impact about Charlottesville (sp) was the age of the vast majority of these cunts, all looked like they spent their teens online/20's online, reaching ideological cul-de-sacs where the ideology demands action from its membership....more violence

the DC march lined up soon could be nasty with so many black residents who will mos def make their presence felt

Edited by cwmbrancity

the DC march lined up soon could be nasty with so many black residents who will mos def make their presence felt

black people in dc aren't going anywhere near that shit

In Germany it is pretty popular to doubt US citizens sanity due to some lawsuits which have made it into German folklore. Goes like this: "Haha they are even surprised coffee is hot and go to court with this". Should one care about the output of dumb, uneducated folks...?

I lived with some US guys for 4 months and it was a great time. They were different human beings. Oh what a surprise. Today, I know quite a few (former) russians, I have some love for the russian people as well (enriched by my positive clichee thinking). All despite politics teaching me since 45 years: US=Good, Russia=Evil and german people thinking US-People=stupid. They shall all f*** o***!

Really, who do they think they are, those Journalists - wanting to teach me, an adult with an own brain, about what's right and wrong. Media criticism is pretty popular today and I can understand why. I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable with media criticism because it is shouted out pretty often in an insanely stupid uneducated and embarassing manner (e.g., american President, german right wing, all their "fake news" babbling).

Edited by Guest

No one has really reported there was a candle light vigil in Charlottesville denouncing these hateful bigots.

https://www.google.ae/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/08/17/us/university-of-virginia-vigil/index.html

was on the evening news but didn't go viral because it's not as sexy as a terrorist attack. 

If what I hear about Bannon is true, I get the feeling that he's an aspiring Trojan horse. He's like Emperor Palpatine while Forty-Five is like Darth Vader. Not as charismatic, tends to act more in the shadows, but is the de facto wielder of power.

Maybe this comment should be in the Now That Trump's Prez thread, but there is a lot of overlap between that one and this one.