IGNORED

Scarlett Johansson to Headline ‘Ghost in the Shell’ Live-Action Movie

Braintree

Yeah it's too bad it wasn't a little more coherent. Or took some risks.

Like casting Japanese actors as leads.

Mamoru Oshii on casting ScarJo (basically he doesn't care).

Also interesting to see Jin-roh is being remade by a Korean director.

http://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2017/03/21/original-ghost-in-the-shell-director-mamoru-oshii-has-no-problem-with-live-action-remake

Jin-Roh basically ruined the whole anime shtick for me, as it was so well made and good looking nothing else ever came close. It makes Akira look like a children's saturday morning cartoon. I don't see a huge point of making a remake, but it's obviously in vogue these days...

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

only takeshi kitano and nobody else!

Are you saying he should direct Akira?! His version of Akira would have Tetsuo make a bad deal with the yakuza, so then there would be a Yakuza gun fight in China town, then Tetsuo's family would be revenge-murdered by a yakuza boss, so then Tetsuo would have to revenge-kill the yakuza boss, then Tetsuo would transform into a pile of yakuza and then yakuza would yakuza yakuza.

Perfect! :)

But his vision of Zatoichi was great imo

only takeshi kitano and nobody else!

Are you saying he should direct Akira?! His version of Akira would have Tetsuo make a bad deal with the yakuza, so then there would be a Yakuza gun fight in China town, then Tetsuo's family would be revenge-murdered by a yakuza boss, so then Tetsuo would have to revenge-kill the yakuza boss, then Tetsuo would transform into a pile of yakuza and then yakuza would yakuza yakuza.

Perfect! :)

But his vision yakuza of Zatoichi yakuza was great yakuza imo

I saw it. It entertained me while it was up on the screen.. I did check the time here and there. I would describe it as a mindless watch, the kind you throw on the TV as background noise to watch here and there, vs feeling the need to sit down and watch it if it's on.

The opening scenes and one/two of the last scenes are the best, imho, and if that level of quality was maintained then we'd have a good flick.

Besides that, wait till it's on vhs. The visuals are good, but not a 'you need to see this on the big screen' type of good.

well, ghost in the shell flopped so hopefully this means no more anime remakes

They need to give the projects to fans of the franchise who've made good movies before (the director is a new one who hasn't made any good movies according to rotten tomatoes)

It seems the director is better with visuals than story. The movie needed both and it only got one. Maybe he could have been a producer and focused on visuals, and a good storytelling director familiar with the material should have helmed the project.

It just depends how into visuals you are I guess. I've never been crazy into them. Though that one sequence in Doctor Strange was worth the ticket by itself. There's nothing like that here. The 'rebirth' sequence for the major is done better in the anime. And it's one of the best scenes in the movie.

Actually there are a number of scenes done shot for shot from the original 1995 anime and the tv series, and for the most part they're the best scenes. So if you've already seen the original movie and the tv series....well...

Like I said, the story is average. Not as good as almost everything else GITS related. The visuals are good, but to me, not good enough to pay however much for a ticket. I don't regret it or anything, but I may never watch it again.

saw this 3d in recliner seats last nite. the 3d was decent at masking some bad cgi (literally the only thing it's good for). the recliners were good for making me want to fall asleep after a long day at the office. story was meh. visuals seemed kinda cool. scarjo walked hilariously throughout the entire movie. not sure why they ruined the best shots of the movie by adding weird distortion effects (the glass breaking wall run shooting that was way overplayed in the traielrs). we all agreed that the first scene with the mother kinda came out of nowhere and was the highlight of the movie. somehow managed to conjure up some genuine feels. 

gladididn'tpaytowatchit/10

Watched it tonight, there were like 3 other people in the theatre. Pretty much what juiceciuj said. I did think the few scenes they did shot-for-shot were very well done. Story was actually not as bad as I feared, but wasn't great or anything like that. Also some of the acting was really pretty terrible. Kitano Takeshi though - still got it.

Also, the cityscapes were awesome. Though living in that city with all those holograms and shit floating around would be a little intense.

Anyways. Probably a 7/10 for me.

I might give this a go despite the gripes everyone else has about the miscasting and needlessness. Between my good friend telling me he loved it and some positive reviews here it seems decent.

I think I am just as pissed an Asian actress wasn't picked as I was that Scarlett Johansson was cast YET AGAIN for a sci-fi film. My same friend said she played the role well and I was like "what, as a robot? HIYO"

Archived