IGNORED

Scarlett Johansson to Headline ‘Ghost in the Shell’ Live-Action Movie

Braintree

I think it's been close to fourteen years since I've seen the GitS anime. I'm guessing this move wouldn't be that different from Hollywood attempting a live-action Akira, hypothetically speaking.

ScarJo and I are only five days apart in age, but I'm not sure that alone justifies having a celebrity crush lol

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think it'll be an awful film but that just means there's room for a surprise. she's all wrong for the part imo.someone a little taller, more athletic with fewer soft edges would be more convincing imo..

scarjo.. she's not terrible or anything.. i just think we won't see the major.. we'll see scarjo. it's hollywood so yeah.. we're fucked form the gitgo but it'd have been nice to see it go all indie dark and 'real' gritty etc.. but we'll get some shit sandwich.

in the mean time there's this behind the scenes look at the VFX sessions ;) - also it's not set in japan

apparently the studio is changing her face to be more japanese using the "benjamin button" guy.

tumblr_o5qlcxCRgX1ql8t12o1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_o5qlcxCRgX1ql8t12o2_r1_500.gif

I'm disappointed that anime isn't appreciated more outside hardcore Pocky-nibbling weeaboo culture, and it would've been great to do another full-length GitS. But Ghost in the Shell was from the golden age of anime, and although I like some of the more recent stuff, pretty much all of it now has this squeaky clean, CGI-heavy aesthetic that doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as the gauzy, organic, hand-painted stuff. I did like the Stand Alone Complex series tho, which definitely falls into the former category.

I think it's been close to fourteen years since I've seen the GitS anime....

Y'all know a new movie came out last year right? Should check it. Quite good, as they say.

I only watched the original once when I was around 19 and it bored me to tears. I was surprised by it ending because I'd completely zoned out and waiting for something interesting to happen.

Guess I'll watch it again...

You know, I'm more conflicted on this than I expected.

I'm disappointed that anime isn't appreciated more outside hardcore Pocky-nibbling weeaboo culture, and it would've been great to do another full-length GitS. But Ghost in the Shell was from the golden age of anime, and although I like some of the more recent stuff, pretty much all of it now has this squeaky clean, CGI-heavy aesthetic that doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as the gauzy, organic, hand-painted stuff. I did like the Stand Alone Complex series tho, which definitely falls into the former category.

As far as ScarJo, yeah she's fine as hell, but she was pretty lame in the Marvel movies. But so was everyone else. I didn't watch Under the Skin or Lucy so I can't attest to those. It's sad and frustrating that Hollywood whitewashes everything they touch, but I can't think of one Japanese/Japanese-American actress that would fit the Kusanagi role. The only Japanese actresses I'm aware of do pretty stereotypically feminine, submissive roles. Maybe this is a chicken-egg situation, both in the case of Japanese cinema's portrayal of women and in Hollywood's homogenization of everything they do. I'm starting to think they made the best casting choice they could for this project.

And that picture is pretty cool, actually.

There is a new full length feature, it just hit DVD last week:

65111646-CE3A-49B4-B8ED-E5CD35CCBE57_zps

This one takes place in the Arise continuity

I think it's been close to fourteen years since I've seen the GitS anime....

Y'all know a new movie came out last year right? Should check it. Quite good, as they say.

there's actual 6 episode mini-series that came out.. they're prequels of a sort.. the "movie" that came out i think is a combination of all the episodes of the miniseries plus more content.. or at least that's what gathered from the torrents last year.

the original movie is still my favorite. it's very dialogue driven at times but i think that's why i dig it.. i remember it being the first thing i encountered that was questioning AI as humanity etc etc.. what does it mean to be human etc.. the 2nd movie is good too.. stunning animation really and it's kind of trippy at some points. a scene that loops back to the beginning and plays out differently each time.

it's not to everyone's taste but i dig the "talkiness" of it. and the major is a great character

they released two movies recently, the first one was edited together out of the previous episodes, apparently badly and confusingly, then they did an original movie.

Stand Alone Complex is the best GITS, hands down, not a massive fan of the original movie.

Takeshi Kitano is playing Aramaki, which is kind of cool (he's great) but also not that cool (he's not very Aramaki-like). With him cast they're presumably keeping the story at least somewhat in line with the original geographical setup, he doesn't speak much english AFAIK.

that is actually great news, love takeshi!

btw, i compiled this list, if there's anything left out give me a hint...

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls071067237/?start=1&view=detail&sort=release_date_us:desc&defaults=1&lists=ls071067237&scb=0.11873047543743809

The movie last year is the conclusion to the arise series. There were originally 5 2 hour episodes, they split those into two parts each and added another 2. My favorite after SAC 1st gig.

they released two movies recently, the first one was edited together out of the previous episodes, apparently badly and confusingly, then they did an original movie.

Stand Alone Complex is the best GITS, hands down, not a massive fan of the original movie.

Arise was re-edited and released as Alternative Architecture, which included a new two-part episode titled Pyrophoric Cult, which leads into "New Movie", the full length feature.

Arise was re-edited and released as Alternative Architecture, which included a new two-part episode titled Pyrophoric Cult, which leads into "New Movie", the full length feature.

that's what I just said.

that's what I just said.

That's what she said

uh at least they gave her the hair streak thing that they give a lot of asian females in movies:

tumblr_ndb2e7u1va1tfj13io1_500.png

21 jumpsteet and lego movie did it too

This costume gives her some serious mom hips

DD0497DF-5FE6-4F85-936D-D0D42C61034D_zps

The costume makes it look like her boobs end where her waist starts.

And what's with the electricity around her right fist?

It's her psionic blade omg how can you not know that. :catrage:

I'd just like to make a post in defense of Scarlett Johansson's nose. It's a fine nose. There's nothing wrong with it.

I'd just like to make a post in defense of Scarlett Johansson's nose. It's a fine nose. There's nothing wrong with it.

From the Japanese perspective, the archetypal "gaijin" has a big nose. Not necessarily big by Western standards, but by Japanese standards, likely so.

yeah but it's hypocrisy to be calling that out when so many anime characters are Western-oriented anyway.

I don't want to pay attention to this thing.

can't really wrap my brain about how this movie is going to be, a lot of the concepts in the anime are understood via the fact that it is so detailed and imaginative.

definitely my favorite anime if not one of my all time favorite films.

I'll be attending on opening night.

I really question how they are going to pull this off, doesn't matter, hope GITS merchandise isn't embarrassing.

the sequel, "Innocence" that just seems fucking impossible to make into a movie, but the Sin City movie was pretty rad I thought,

so if it's more like that, I think it could work out.

also, barely related, but there was a really great CGI film called 'Summer Wars' I recommend checking out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxsejPwWf70

From the Japanese perspective, the archetypal "gaijin" has a big nose. Not necessarily big by Western standards, but by Japanese standards, likely so.

That's a bit ironic since, when I was in Japan, I was captivated by some of the ginormous schnozes.

Archived