IGNORED

Forum Features - Hated, Wanted, Pie In The Sky

Joyrex

As some of you know, we are going to be upgrading the forum to the latest version of the software sometime this year, and in preparation for that, I'd like to know your thoughts on:

Forum Features You Like

List anything you really like feature-wise we currently have (a LOT of things have changed in the latest forum software), so in case the new version no longer has that feature, we can see about a workaround or possibly an addon to restore that feature.

Forum Features You Hate

Is there anything on the forum feature or function-wise you just can't stand? Hopefully the new forum will bring solutions (the replacement for View New Content is awesome, IMO - seriously - mind-blowing stuff), and if it doesn't, again - there might be an addon that solves that issue.

Pie In The Sky

What would make the forum even better? Yes, WATMM Radio (yes, it's coming - that's part of the reason we are upgrading the forum), but what other features would make the forum even better than it is now? One thing I know for sure folks who hate Tapatalk will like is the new forum is mobile friendly and employs a responsive design so it works on desktops, tablets, and phones. Of course, not everything is practical or feasible, but you never know.

So please take a moment, and let me know your thoughts - I know the inclination will be towards humour, and that's fine, but this is YOUR community - let's make this major upgrade the best it can be and make WATMM an even better place to endlessly spend our hours on instead of making music or other pursuits that are probably better uses of our time.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. 75% less delet

a script to replace rubin farr posts with a random pic from dank memes thread

lifetime achievement award for jedy

declassify LTM forum archives

declare an official, annual watmm day of mourning to commemorate the departure of John Ehrlichman (aka Awepittace).

Like: Current search function is great.

Want: An ignore thread function, for those long-running threads that I don't read or post in (or hot new ones that are just kinda shit).

So each page in the thread as a 25 post limit, if I'm not mistaken?

One of my biggest pet peeves is getting hit with a page break unexpectedly when I'm posting. So my thought was, what if there's a counter for the number of posts on each page? Example; when the post count per page is nearing capacity, they can be numbered 21/25, 22/25, 23/25, etc.

Hopefully that wouldn't be too much hassle to set up. Just thought a feature like that would be nice.

One of my biggest pet peeves is getting hit with a page break unexpectedly when I'm posting.

lol jesus, why does this give you so much buttache???

Mine: PLEASE offer a less crowded, more minimal layout, there is so much shit on the front page.

Chatmm app for Android/iphone/samsung galaxy.

Personal peeve but General Banter is nice to read for news, arguments and whatnot but the amount of absolute trash posts in there is becoming bloated to the point that I'm having to look through 3-5 pages of shitposts before I get to anything meaningful or important. The shitposting, flamewars and bawwwww threads could use another forum with more lax moderation.

Personal peeve but General Banter is nice to read for news, arguments and whatnot but the amount of absolute trash posts in there is becoming bloated to the point that I'm having to look through 3-5 pages of shitposts before I get to anything meaningful or important. The shitposting, flamewars and bawwwww threads could use another forum with more lax moderation.

This is a great idea. Maybe some kind of community voting feature could assist with flagging threads as mostly shitposts so they could be filtered out or automatically moved to some kind of shit-dungeon area of the forum.

Get all the best biorobotic and transhumanist scientists available to try and turn the SYRO Forum Theme into a real person, wait until it sleeps and put a pillow on its face until it stops kicking its legs

Ability to like a post (everyone else probably would hate that but I would use it).

Auto-folding up of nested quotes...as in when quoting a quoted quote and huge swaths of blocks of text fill the screen, only the most recent one or two quoted are immediately visible, but with an expandable older-quoted-posts option. I've seen this on other forums.

The current system of redundant notifications is flawed. If I log in at 7:00 and there's been a rolling lol in a thread I'm subscribed to, from the drop down menu it shows seven notifications for that thread instead of just one, but it only shows about 10 total in the drop down...I know I can open the notifications tab in a new window for a full list, but I'm lazy. This is obviously very nitpicky, probably more of a pie-in-the-sky thing.

Multiple sizes for Bandcamp embeds :)

Maybe some way to highlight the New & Upcoming Releases and EKT New Releases sub-forums? They both feel underutilized/appreciated...I know EKT will likely always stay that way to some extent, but it really feels to me that the new releases sub-forum isn't as active as it could be.

Maybe a temporary featured artists sub-forum? I know it's a mission statement essentially of WATMM to keep the featured artists forum lean, but maybe there could be a Featured Releases sub-forum for the bigger/newer IDM/whatever releases from artists who don't have their own forum? Maybe just a sticky-ed section for this in New & Upcoming Releases? I dunno, spitballing here.

That's enough for now. :)

sent using magic space waves

autism score as a profile stat.

or just ban everyone with autism so the rest of theo's dupe accounts can chat in peace.

edit: a feature that checks new users for any irl autism diagnosis would be good so that people know all their posts will be shit

I'm not really geek enough to have any complaints. I'm quite happy with everything tbh, as long as I limit my time out of General Banter watmm is cool.

*group hug*

Though a live webcam stream to Hexagon Sun would be a grand idea :tongue:

Like: Well since I see 'em mentioned above, I also browse the forum via View New Content then Mark Community Read, so I hope those stay but I doubt such basic functionality would be removed. I like the auto-embedding for Soundcloud, YouTube, Twitter, et cetera, if anything these features should be expanded rather than reduced.

Hate: I keep repeating this and I think it was dismissed as a Firefox bug but the themes introduced after WATMM Classic are still slower after upgrading my computer and having double checked using different browsers, operating systems, and devices.

Pie in the sky: A more modern fast and light/minimal skin, for those of us who just want a basic forum without too many bells and whistles that doesn't look like we're still living in 1999.

one thing that annoys me is when people do that thing where they post/quote the same picture 97 times and you have to scroll past it all just to get to a new post. incredibly amusing though it is, a way to prevent it would be good. same goes for ridiculously long posts that serve no purpose.

Archived