IGNORED

People who hold their phone like this while telephoning

post-7821-0-15717500-1471535168_thumb.jpg

I don't get it - I see a lot of people doing this with their phones, why?

is this common? maybe only here?

why would you talk to someone on the phone like this....?

cause the mic is down there. I can see the logic but it's completely unnecessary. I like to imagine if you gave those people an actual microphone that actually needs to be held up close to your mouth they'd use it incorrectly. hypesters these days....

I do this. It's more comfortable than holding it to my ear, especially if the phone is a huge Galaxy Note type joint. Also no sweaty ear grease on your touch screen in 100 degree august weather.

Think it's the fault of reality TV - That's how they always hold it on those shows so the audio editor hasn't got to bother syncing up dialogue from the phone and the person holding the phone ...

Think it's the fault of reality TV - That's how they always hold it on those shows so the audio editor hasn't got to bother syncing up dialogue from the phone and the person holding the phone ...

YES. OMG. The apprentice is the first time I saw this.

i like to shout at ppl and also enjoy having everyone hear the conversation while i have a caller on speaker phone. So this method of phone holding really speaks to those preferences.

I've only done this recently cuz my phone dropped and the glass is all shattered on the screen, so i don't want to cut my ear. The plastic slip things i keep replacing keep bunching up from all the broken glass segments, and I'm not looking forward to going to the Apple store and paying like 80 bucks for a new screen so I'm just being a weirdo.. it's starting to look pretty cyberpunk/dystopian though.. the glass pieces are falling out lately and leaving the black / silver motherboard thingy showing little by little. its pretty rad but I'm also shedding glass shards everywhere i put my phone lol

I've only done this recently cuz my phone dropped and the glass is all shattered on the screen, so i don't want to cut my ear. The plastic slip things i keep replacing keep bunching up from all the broken glass segments, and I'm not looking forward to going to the Apple store and paying like 80 bucks for a new screen so I'm just being a weirdo.. it's starting to look pretty cyberpunk/dystopian though.. the glass pieces are falling out lately and leaving the black / silver motherboard thingy showing little by little. its pretty rad but I'm also shedding glass shards everywhere i put my phone lol

FFS, get that fixed! I get so triggered when I see somebody with a cracked screen...

My theory is that this makes you seem more important. People are more likely to notice that you're on the phone and it makes you seem like a high achieving person who's super busy. To me it's also body language saying "i'm too important for this call, I'm not even going to bother lifting the phone all the way up to my ear". Dunno, maybe some of my best friends use this technique and I don't even know about it. And to be fair doublename has some good points as well.      

My theory is that this makes you seem more important. People are more likely to notice that you're on the phone and it makes you seem like a high achieving person who's super busy. To me it's also body language saying "i'm too important for this call, I'm not even going to bother lifting the phone all the way up to my ear".

this is plausible imo - had vaguely the same hunch. It's certainly something which came to be kind of recently...? if it's a meme, does it have a name..?

A bit related: people who listen to (shit) music through their phone speaker in public. Sitting there, in the metro, holding their phone in front of them, looking around, fully aware they're being twats.

(not offended by the phone holding thing, just curious...)

Archived