IGNORED

Björk - Utopia

cear

Homogenic, then Vespertine.  The only album of hers I haven't been able to get much out of was Vulnicurna.  Somehow it always sounds emotionally flat to me, even though it was born out of heartbreak.  I just don't hear that in the music for whatever reason.  Maybe she was emotionally drained.  Anyway...

I really like the new single/video.  Very cool arrangement.  The iphone lyrics hurt the vibe a bit, but other than that it's a fine slab of beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHWAZNkqwN4

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also can't get into anything post vespertine, which I think is the highpoint. (apart from the live bootleg with the brodksy quartet, and selmasongs is pretty good too)

hoping ill dig this one

Homogenic, then Vespertine.  The only album of hers I haven't been able to get much out of was Vulnicurna.  Somehow it always sounds emotionally flat to me, even though it was born out of heartbreak.  I just don't hear that in the music for whatever reason.  Maybe she was emotionally drained.  Anyway...

I really like the new single/video.  Very cool arrangement.  The iphone lyrics hurt the vibe a bit, but other than that it's a fine slab of beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHWAZNkqwN4

I don't like this at all. Also I think Plaid did this type melancholy plonky harp shit best on Not For Threes and I don't need to hear any more meandering versions of it like this.

I'm probably not the target audience but the specificity of the lyrics is alienating as fuck.

The thumb-miming makes me uncomfortable and coming from someone like Bjork it's really disappointing.

Fuck this.

wha>??? first four are nearly fucking flawless and are a beautiful crescendo of an ambitious artist challenging herself to improve and succeeding.

just finished debut and it holds the fuck up. no "bad" songs just no fantastic ones

post is beauttiful if you skip its oh so quiet

homogenic is standard

and then vespertine is "the most important electronic album of the 21st century"

it's volta where it gets hard to sustain interest

this is completely correct

yep

Never got into this artist despite repeated attempts. I never liked her voice, that's probably the problem.

I like her voice and what she can do with it (Medulla was a neat album for that reason) but I swear, it seems like he does the same phrasing and loud/quiet dynamics, at least on every big song/single.There's a set routine of when she goes quiet and whispers and when she then screams and when she stretches out a word or lyric. So like after a while it was kind of like here's her doing the same old same old but with different producers. I kind of liked Volta because it was poppy at points but I'll be honest Vulnicura was an album I listened to and literally can't recall anything memorable from. Utopia is supposed to be the opposite vibe wise but I'm not going to jump into it any time soon.

i like volta  :catsob:

You know, it's actually a really good album.  But crazy vibrato guy hurts it so much for me.  If those two songs were replaced with two where she were the sole singer, I think it would be a classic for me.  But he just butts in right on the third track, which goes on forever.  Even if that song were tacked on the end instead of right up front, it would be a much better album.  Earth Intruders, Wanderlust, Innocence, Vertebrae, Declare Independence... all fantastic songs.  I guess the other thing that hurts the album somewhat is a lack of cohesion.  The production from track to track is often at odds with itself, though each song sounds great within its own context.

Homogenic is such a grand slam I haven’t been able to absorb any later albums as much but I’ll investigate Vespertine fo sho.

Youll probably dig it - homogenic was my first favorite but I listen to vespertine much more these days.  Pretty lush golden-era-idm vibe that works super well with her voice.  Debut is also fantastic, when Like someone in love hits mid album, I can get all  :cry: 

Sorry to turn this into general-bjork-thread (I have yet to pick up or listen to Utopia) but what do people think of Biophilia?  I remember being put off by the app/marketing nonsense upon release but listening back to it again, that album has loads of personality and memorable moments.

Homogenic is such a grand slam I haven’t been able to absorb any later albums as much but I’ll investigate Vespertine fo sho.

Yeah the Mark Bell production is damn near flawless. I love the story about Hunter being done on a 909 in one take.

Yeah the Mark Bell production is damn near flawless.

It may actually my favorite album of all time in terms of production... despite some clipping on the strings in Bachlorette that kind of bug me.  So many great ideas.

I agree with others that Vespertine is the strongest album, although Homogenic is pretty damn close.  But I really like all of them except Volta - that one was a letdown for sure.

Archived