IGNORED

Will BOC Release A New Album?

fumi

i wonder if anything will happen to the mountains of unreleased tapes, old tunes etc.....

4 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Do you honestly believe that Boards of Canada after 11 years and many unfulfilled mentions of it’s coming soon are going to finally in 2024, release an album?

I would put odds on this website shutting down before the end of the year before I would see a Boards of Canada album by the end of this year - and that’s in writing. 

OK, being a little little less cantankerous, I would be very, very surprised at this point after all this time, that suddenly they would have a release ready to go. I honestly think that at this point, their priorities have shifted away from releasing music and their focus on other things. I’m not saying they have stopped making music, but I think possibly it’s come full circle and now they’re back to making music just for themselves and their friends rather than trying to be a commercial entity, which they never wanted to be to begin with.

I believe it, yes. Unless there’s concrete evidence that they’re done, I have no reason to think they’re not continuing their work, even if it’s at a slower pace. 

Bleak point to make there using the site as a bargaining chip. Why be so negative?

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

i wonder if anything will happen to the mountains of unreleased tapes, old tunes etc.....

they will degrade. maybe that's what they're waiting on. the tapes to go bad so they can bake them to be played one time into a 2nd tape machine or computer. 

"there's nothing quite like the sound of a multitrack tape playing for the last time.. as the oxide comes off the tape onto the tape machine heads it turns to goo and ruins the tape machine.. the sound is incredible though"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1

2 hours ago, Dragon said:

Maybe they'll borrow Mike and Lara's hammer…

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Do you honestly believe that Boards of Canada after 11 years and many unfulfilled mentions of it’s coming soon are going to finally in 2024, release an album?

I would put odds on this website shutting down before the end of the year before I would see a Boards of Canada album by the end of this year - and that’s in writing. 

OK, being a little little less cantankerous, I would be very, very surprised at this point after all this time, that suddenly they would have a release ready to go. I honestly think that at this point, their priorities have shifted away from releasing music and their focus on other things. I’m not saying they have stopped making music, but I think possibly it’s come full circle and now they’re back to making music just for themselves and their friends rather than trying to be a commercial entity, which they never wanted to be to begin with.

Please list the “many unfulfilled mentions of it coming soon”. You can’t.

It’s only MDG who literally said in 2022: “a new album is on its way”. Please don’t accuse the band of something that wasn’t said, and only occurred in your head apparently. 

MDG nor I said 2024. According to MDG it’s on its way, that alone is splendid news. And personally I love to think it will be this year indeed, but I thought the same of 2023 and I will think the same of 2025 if it won’t be this year. But that’s not the point, is it. The fact is that is coming and I have no reason to believe that it won’t. I like to keep positive and not cantankerous (thanks for learning me a new word here).

Do you really think the band and/or Warp would’ve made the “follow us here for news and future announcements” post on their newly created Threads account last year if that was 100% meaningless? I think even a kid for today can read between the lines here.

Have. Some. Patience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Fredd-E said:

Please list the “many unfulfilled mentions of it coming soon”. You can’t.

It’s only MDG who literally said in 2022: “a new album is on its way”. Please don’t accuse the band of something that wasn’t said, and only occurred in your head apparently. 

MDG nor I said 2024. According to MDG it’s on its way, that alone is splendid news. And personally I love to think it will be this year indeed, but I thought the same of 2023 and I will think the same of 2025 if it won’t be this year. But that’s not the point, is it. The fact is that is coming and I have no reason to believe that it won’t. I like to keep positive and not cantankerous (thanks for learning me a new word here).

Do you really think the band and/or Warp would’ve made the “follow us here for news and future announcements” post on their newly created Threads account last year if that was 100% meaningless? I think even a kid for today can read between the lines here.

Have. Some. Patience.

The Boss also said the same thing about Aphex before Richard returned with Syro, so a lot of us at Watmm HQ don't take much notice of Joyrex's predictions. Let's hope he has to eat more humble pie 😜

• Like 3

You simply can't predict what they're going to do. I have to admit that, because of the fact that it has been 11 YEARS, I have little hope for us boc fans. Iic if they do release something one day it'll be a joyous moment for all. I love your optimism @Fredd-E! let's hope you can manifest it into a release 🙂 I personally think that the creation of the threads account could mean two things. It either means that Warp thinks that there'll be updates to give in the future or they made the account to prevent the creation of fake accounts (just like aphex twin with the fak Instaphex account that now has 100k followers).

every single time the BOC insta posts something my heart skips a beat lol

1 hour ago, thumbass said:

You simply can't predict what they're going to do. I have to admit that, because of the fact that it has been 11 YEARS, I have little hope for us boc fans. Iic if they do release something one day it'll be a joyous moment for all. I love your optimism @Fredd-E! let's hope you can manifest it into a release 🙂 I personally think that the creation of the threads account could mean two things. It either means that Warp thinks that there'll be updates to give in the future or they made the account to prevent the creation of fake accounts (just like aphex twin with the fak Instaphex account that now has 100k followers).

every single time the BOC insta posts something my heart skips a beat lol

We, on our own, can't predict, but MDG gave us a hand and literally told us we will get a new album (just like he did in 2009/2010). I assume everyone knows who MDG is, right? If not: https://bocpages.org/wiki/MDG

And yes my optimism is still grounded. And if it could manifest into something bigger, sure why not?

Your Threads logic is flawed alas. They could have just claimed @boardsofcanada without posting the "follow us here for future news and announcements" if it was only to stop name squatters claiming their handle. But instead they (Warp and/or BoC) did both: 1) claim the handle, and 2) post that lovely unambiguous message on which we can feast on at present, if you're not too salty.

Come to think of it: they didn't even have to claim the handle because their official Instagram handle is automatically tied to the Threads account. This makes it even more noteworthy they deliberately chose to post that lovely message in 2023.

Edited by Fredd-E
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thumbass said:

I have to admit that, because of the fact that it has been 11 YEARS, I have little hope for us boc fans.

PS: What does this 11 year gap even mean? Nothing tbh. For all we know they only started working on LP5 after a 7 year break. Maybe in a future interview they will give us some details about this gap. "We were off to the pub actually."

You have the right to say "I told you so" when they do release something Fred hahaha

Good point on the Threads thing

Nothing is simple or straight forward with BOC is it? 98% of other artists that I know of just let their fans know what's going on straight from the horses mouth. In the normal realm of music there's not all this covert, cryptic, clandestine, secret friend of a secret friend horseshit going on. Would imagine most fan bases would find this behaviour rather peculiar and a bit odd 🤫😀

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Nothing is simple or straight forward with BOC is it? 98% of other artists that I know of just let their fans know what's going on straight from the horses mouth. In the normal realm of music there's not all this covert, cryptic, clandestine, secret friend of a secret friend horseshit going on. Would imagine most fan bases would find this behaviour rather peculiar and a bit odd. 

I think it's rather peculiar and a bit odd that people have expectations of them.  They don't owe anyone anything.

Just relax.  If it happens, it happens.  If it doesn't the world isn't going to end.

Edited by NewSchoolScience

2 minutes ago, NewSchoolScience said:

I think it's rather peculiar and a bit odd that people have expectations of them.  They don't owe anyone anything.

Just relax.  If it happens, it happens.  If it doesn't the world isn't going to end.

It’s hard not to have a fair expectation of a new album when their spokesperson MDG literally told us so. Go figure. I don’t think we have other weird expectations to be honest. Nothing odd. Nothing peculiar. Just common sense.

17 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Nothing is simple or straight forward with BOC is it? 98% of other artists that I know of just let their fans know what's going on straight from the horses mouth. In the normal realm of music there's not all this covert, cryptic, clandestine, secret friend of a secret friend horseshit going on. Would imagine most fan bases would find this behaviour rather peculiar and a bit odd 🤫😀

Well maybe because BoC ain’t a dull mainstream band. That’s part of their appeal.

Edited by Fredd-E

4 minutes ago, Fredd-E said:

It’s hard not to have a fair expectation of a new album when their spokesperson MDG literally told us so. Go figure. I don’t think we have other weird expectations to be honest. Nothing odd. Nothing peculiar. Just common sense.

I was talking about having expectations that artists keep fans fully abreast of the timeline for future releases.  That is rather peculiar and a bit odd.

An expectation that a band are going to release an album, at some point, when a known friend of the band says there's one in the works isn't peculiar or a bit odd.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewSchoolScience said:

BoC themselves set expectations with all their breadcrumb tomfoolery from their social media like liking tweets asking for a new album and posting weird stuff like pioneer plaque and the I feel good video. If they hadn't done all that, then no, they wouldn't owe us anything. But they set expectations. Especially with their "Stay tuned for future updates" post and the babylulu message. Like c'mon, expectations have 100% been set by them, they owe it to us to eventually follow up.

Edited by demo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, demo said:

breadcrumb tomfoolery 

Perfecto 🥇

Just hit the nail on the head with a sledgehammer. That's what gets my goat.

Edited by beerwolf

1 hour ago, demo said:

But they set expectations. Especially with their "Stay tuned for future updates" post and the babylulu message. Like c'mon, expectations have 100% been set by them, they owe it to us to eventually follow up.

agree. they know they are playing into the mystique/aura that has built up naturally around them when they dangle these little carrots. they could be more forthright if they wanted to, but choose not to on purpose. it sorta comes across as a weird marketing ploy.

I know the whole they "owe" us something is up for debate. the word "owe" has somewhat of a transactional vibe to it that I think some people don't like. I mean it'd be cool if they would share a little more BoC news with the fans that love their music and have supported them over the years. but if they're not gonna do that then there's nothing we can do about it...  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zero said:

agree. they know they are playing into the mystique/aura that has built up naturally around them when they dangle these little carrots. they could be more forthright if they wanted to, but choose not to on purpose. it sorta comes across as a weird marketing ploy.

Not so much a weird marketing ploy, but rather being more cautious this time. Remember in 2008 MDG already hinted at the new album and in 2009 he posted that the new album had some delays due to reasons outwith the band's control and that it was finally coming out in 2010. Well 2010 turned out to be 2013 as we all know. 🤷‍♂️

I don't think this is his fault. I honestly believe that at that point in time the album was slated for release in 2010 but apparently something delayed it again.

And now MDG is just being cautious. A 2022 message stating: "a new album is on its way" is hardly going to upset anyone. On the contrary.

All these quotes can be found here: https://bocpages.org/wiki/Statements_from_Hexagon_Sun 

Edited by Fredd-E

59 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

It's amazing how much discussion about this people can make out of absolutely nothing lmao

Fantasizing about new music releases from the most esoteric bros of the music industry, is always a decent enterprise, cause that is the salt of it... we are trying to figure out the ways of this elusive nothingness hiatus, this incognito X files of IDM, this Romeda enigma, as BOC is, gaddamnit