IGNORED

Your favorite album of all time

Extralife

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rifts 2012 edition

both selected ambient works

a bunch of other stuff & most of it's even not as blatantly stereotypical watmm poster picks, but those two are almost always the first to spring to mind

honestly my own albums by far, but that may be in large part because they're able to send me to very particular places that no other music can for obvious reasons

1. OK Computer

2. Vespertine

3. Untilted

4. Here, My Dear

5. Confield

6. Dark Side of the Moon

7. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

8. On the Beach

9. Mezzanine

They've all been in my top 10 for several years now, so regard them as my trusty top tier.

I wonder why people are obsessed with picking favourites. More realistic is to say a certain album is the favourite within a certain set of circumstances but in the end they all have a different feel which can be just about right or not fitting at all depending on the situation

I wonder why people are obsessed with picking favourites. More realistic is to say a certain album is the favourite within a certain set of circumstances but in the end they all have a different feel which can be just about right or not fitting at all depending on the situation

It's not about picking, it's about knowing. The bulk of my record collection fits into your definition - albums that fit the bill perfectly on certain occasions - but there are at least a handful of records which I've had far more pleasure from over long term listening than others. Ones I'd be devastated to lose, ones that affect me on a deeply profound level, ones that specific and important memories attached, ones that I can listen to in just about any situation, ones I can put on repeat and never get sick of. 

Lifeforms by FSOL is my favourite album. There's genuinely been another album that even comes close for me. I can't begin to put into works how it affects me on a totally different level to any other piece of art I've ever experienced. After that...

Selected Ambient Works Vol II

100 Broken Windows by Idlewild

Pale Ravine by Deaf Center

Laughing Stock by Talk Talk

76 14 by Global Communication

Hergest Ridge by Mike Oldfield

A Bell is a Cup Until it is Struck by Wire

Laughing Stock by Talk Talk

Good call. This is the only album I could listen to a few years ago when I had chronic nerve pain and was awaiting a root canal.

Also never fails to get rid of a headache.

1. OK Computer

2. Vespertine

3. Untilted

4. Here, My Dear

5. Confield

6. Dark Side of the Moon

7. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

8. On the Beach

9. Mezzanine

They've all been in my top 10 for several years now, so regard them as my trusty top tier.

Love On The Beach.

As much I've tried to answer this question, I really cannot. My favorites change on a regular basis, but I feel that nothing really outweighs the other, so there's no absolute #1 album for me. I mean, there are records that I find timeless and some that I can listen to all the way through without skipping, but even in those, I wouldn't be able to pull out an all-time favorite. Here are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head:

Aphex Twin - Richard D James Album

Madvillain - Madvillainy

Radiohead - Amnesiac

Wu-Tang Clan - Wu-Tang Forever

Squarepusher - Hello Everything

Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights

Really impossible to choose.

Guest Chesney

Impossible but I know there are some in the top 10-20

The seaside - Cardiacs

Spokes - Plaid

Songs from the big chair - Tears for Fears

MHTRTC/Geogaddi - BoC

post/homogenic - Bjork

Countdown to Extacy - Steely Dan

Two Pages - 4 Hero

Dirt - Alice in Chains

Radiator - Super Furry Animals

Sgt Peppers - Beatles

Forever changes - Love

Apostophe - Zappa

11 - zoomthelineandeye (haha, half serious actually and not in a CMOAC way)

Lift your skinny fists - GYBE

etc etc etc

Here are a few random favourites off the top of my head. Apologies for some painfully obvious choices.

Aphex Twin - Drukqs

BoC - Geogaddi

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

GY!BE - F#A# infinity

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats

Bowie - Heroes

Pink Floyd - Animals

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing

Viet Cong - S/T

The Avalanches - Wildflower

Even though those last two records are fairly recent, I have zero qualms about classing them as all time favs

Archived