IGNORED

Your favorite album of all time

Extralife

35 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

FSOL - Dead Cities

Phenomenal tracks, phenomenal atmosphere, spot on running order, and mixing that still holds up today ...... Just ?

yesss that would defo be an honorable mention on my list as well

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/25/2020 at 5:43 AM, 714681746476436 said:

I think David Bowie's Blackstar album is a work of high art. Really an exceptional and wonderful thing, the heights of which likely won't be reached again in my life time. It builds upon and concludes a lifetime work work in a tremendously unique way. It's the result of someone who has honed their craft over decades, and it stands as a very true artistic expression.

Of course there are a number of other album that I love, but I couldn't say anything was a truer or more clearly realised expression than Blackstar. 10/10 for me

It's not a desert island record for me, but I agree with everything you say here.  Still kicking myself for not buying the clear vinyl edition before it came out because I didn't like the cover art...  

On 7/25/2018 at 5:31 PM, usagi said:

yeah, you don't want to see them old skeletons. I probably would've said NIN's The Fragile or something, which to be fair is still a stellar album imo but when you broaden your horizons and get a taste of everything else out there it comes nowhere near #1.

it's a total gateway album though, in that it exposes the silly teenage ear to all these interesting production styles and ideas. that, Massive Attack's Mezzanine, and Radiohead's Kid A were all gateway albums for me in that sense - new sounds I hadn't heard before.

I'm started to be on the fence about whether or not Downward Spiral is my favorite or The Fragile.  The only weakness in The Fragile is some of the lyrics, but I acknowledge that I'm maybe just more forgiving of the lyrics in Downward Spiral because I was younger and more pissed off then.   

• 1 month later...

AFX- Analords

Miles- KOB

Coltrane- Live at birdland

Kettel & Secede- When can

Dave matthews band- Crash

Hendrix- Electric ladyland

Shpongle- Are you Shpongle?

The Beatles- The white album

AE- draft 7.30

Bvdub- Born in Tokyo

Dinosaur jr- Green mind or Where you Been?

Van Morisson- Astral weeks

Zappa- we're only in it for the money or Apostrophe

Pink Floyd- DSOTM

Kenny Burrell- midnight blue

Gil scott- Pieces of a man

On 1/25/2020 at 9:05 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

Any time I hear somebody's favourite of anything I think "really, of everything that exists in the entire world that's your favourite?  There's absolutely nothing better?"  Which is also how I react anytime I try to think up one of my own.

Same, I've gone through phases of having a favorite but in retrospect they've been pretty short-lived. I could definitely come up with a handful of favorites, but they'd probably be pretty predictable. Music is always about set & setting, time & place for me, so it's kind of weird to think about the one thing that's the best for any situation. I like a lot of the answers though.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5lL8N073N1d9ENpzM9Wtj5

T. Rex - The Slider is my desert island record.  

Here is my "survival kit":

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4d3BbLuvkEiAjZGLUPnJty

On 3/24/2020 at 10:39 PM, sweepstakes said:

Same, I've gone through phases of having a favorite but in retrospect they've been pretty short-lived. I could definitely come up with a handful of favorites, but they'd probably be pretty predictable. Music is always about set & setting, time & place for me, so it's kind of weird to think about the one thing that's the best for any situation. I like a lot of the answers though.

I take the favorite stigma as a record that a person most identifies with personally.  

On 1/27/2020 at 11:12 AM, thumbass said:

yesss that would defo be an honorable mention on my list as well

The version of Herd Killing off the Wipeout 2097 soundtrack is pretty phenomenal. 

1 hour ago, Aural Unrest said:

The version of Herd Killing off the Wipeout 2097 soundtrack is pretty phenomenal. 

Never listened to it before, will check out!

53 minutes ago, milkface said:

Loveless by My Bloody Valentine [...] it makes me feel a way no other album does.

Woozy and disoriented.

j/k I love that album

The Orb - U.F.Orb
Orbital - Brown Album
Global Communication - 76:14
Autechre - Tri Repetae
The Black Dog - Spanners
Ian O'Brien - Desert Scores
LFO - Advance
Biosphere - Substrata
Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children
Burial - Untrue

On 3/25/2020 at 1:16 AM, Ayya Khema said:

AFX- Analords

Miles- KOB

Coltrane- Live at birdland

Kettel & Secede- When can

Dave matthews band- Crash

Hendrix- Electric ladyland

Shpongle- Are you Shpongle?

The Beatles- The white album

AE- draft 7.30

Bvdub- Born in Tokyo

Dinosaur jr- Green mind or Where you Been?

Van Morisson- Astral weeks

Zappa- we're only in it for the money or Apostrophe

Pink Floyd- DSOTM

Kenny Burrell- midnight blue

Gil scott- Pieces of a man

wait, i forgot the orb- orbus terrarum

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Polytrix said:

Yeah, I'd say Loveless by MBV as well. I bought the limited repress when it first came out and it's now selling on Discogs for £250. Madness.

I was gonna get the record from their site in 2018 but it went down and has never gone back up since. Plus Kevin Shields took Loveless off of Spotify too ?

Never got into Loveless. An old friend of mine told me I need to keep playing it and playing it and playing it and magic things will happen! 

A skill similar and essential to being an Autechre fan.

Maybe I need to start spinning it again and seen if the Loveless Sonic Magic Eye will open.

Archived