IGNORED

Bandcamp IRL - First Physical Record Store to Open in Oakland, CA

Joyrex

That's really easy to get to. I look forward to checking it out!

I wonder if I get anything for being a member for 10 years.

The internet is leaking!

Guys, if you're going to shop there, keep an eye out for Rick Astley. And if my connections are accurate, a Guy Fawkes mask will give you an extra discount. But only if you pay in bitcoin. Dressing up as the nya nya cat might get you a pop-tart. Or killed. Or both.

Good idea and I like that they have a setup for in-store performances, but I'm not convinced about that shelving...

They're only stocking around 80 releases maximum in the store, according to the article...

They could also try what Norman Records does, order online and then pick up in the shop.

That seems to be growing in popularity with shops (not just record stores) - order online, pickup for free in stores, and hope they might walk away with more than just their online order...

They already had their soft opening (which I missed cause I had no idea this was happening). I’ll be attending on 2/1, but I’m betting its going to be packed! Walked by the other day and its super close to 19tn St BART.

Good idea and I like that they have a setup for in-store performances, but I'm not convinced about that shelving...

Are those photos of Bandcamp headquarters or one of their record stores? Hopefully they hold more than 15 records lol

This is really cool though either way

Ah just saw joyrexs post. 80 records.

So it's like the tiny vinyl section at a Best Buy, only much better selections. Hmm

• 4 months later...
13 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

How so? If it gets more vinyls in the hands of fans...

It's like if Netflix started a cable TV channel or something lol. It's just the complete opposite of their entire model.

I'm not sure how the physical store will help any sales tbh, especially if they're only stocking >100 records. The online algorithm (IE "other artists/releases you may like" features) will likely do a much better job of linking you to music you'll enjoy (and purchase).

I mean... what are the chances you're going to like even one out of the 80 albums they have in store? For me it would be a pretty low chance.

:shrug:

What would be cool if this actually succeeds (which, lol) is if you could order records on Bandcamp for in-store pickup and waive some of the bonkers shipping fees that occasionally happening when getting stuff through BC from labels abroad. That being said, it’s doubtful that Bandcamp would eat that cost and it would probably lead to pricier records and lesser artist cuts, so it’s probably a total shit idea. 

2 minutes ago, Lada Laika said:

What would be cool if this actually succeeds (which, lol) is if you could order records on Bandcamp for in-store pickup and waive some of the bonkers shipping fees that occasionally happening when getting stuff through BC from labels abroad. That being said, it’s doubtful that Bandcamp would eat that cost and it would probably lead to pricier records and lesser artist cuts, so it’s probably a total shit idea. 

lol yo flying to Oakland to pickup my records is more expensive than shipping though. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, StephenG said:

It's like if Netflix started a cable TV channel or something lol. It's just the complete opposite of their entire model.

I'm not sure how the physical store will help any sales tbh, especially if they're only stocking >100 records. The online algorithm (IE "other artists/releases you may like" features) will likely do a much better job of linking you to music you'll enjoy (and purchase).

I mean... what are the chances you're going to like even one out of the 80 albums they have in store? For me it would be a pretty low chance.

:shrug:

I think the goal here was to curate a more collector's experience, where you can pick up limited quantities of select artists (which I would assume is the point) in an interesting environment, giving customers that "old skool" record store shopping experience.

Archived