IGNORED

bandcamp acquired by epic games?!

species8472

4 minutes ago, species8472 said:

best we can hope is for things to stay the same I guess.

Epic is rumored to be super chill to work with and have no interest in intervening with people's businesses - even the ones they acquire. I bet it's a way for them to make sure Bandcamp stays around and grows bigger in service of both their users and artists. Epic has been all for giving the majority of their income to the creators of skins, models, and other assets sold on their marketplace.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Squee said:

Epic is rumored to be super chill to work with and have no interest in intervening with people's businesses - even the ones they acquire. I bet it's a way for them to make sure Bandcamp stays around and grows bigger in service of both their users and artists. Epic has been all for giving the majority of their income to the creators of skins, models, and other assets sold on their marketplace.

After years of stealing dances without paying people

• Farnsworth 1

I hope this at least means when you click a bandcamp link on your phone, it takes you to the app instead of the in-browser bandcamp app. And be able to make playlists. And I hope Squee is right too. 

So, a lot of hoping.

3 minutes ago, cern said:

SOULSEEK FOR LIFE :music:

BAN FOR LIFE :music:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am so behind the times on the video game front, not sure what bad things will happen exactly because of epic. 

the main thing that stood out to me on the blog statement, was a slight hint of BS coming from the bolded part:

I’m excited to announce that Bandcamp is joining Epic Games, who you may know as the makers of Fortnite and Unreal Engine, and champions for a fair and open Internet.

hints of web 3.0, which means crypto world is coming for bandcamp?

if NFTs start popping up on bandcamp, then yes, the end is nigh...

Hoping this brings some nice platform improvements. I don't need it to turn into a streaming platform or anything, but there are lots of improvements that could be made on the site and app. 

52 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tencent

seems like these guys half-own Epic Games lol

so much for indie music

RIP bandcamp spirit

Fuck this

i am so fucking disgusted at this sell out

Does this mean bandcamp artists will be famous in china? Absolutely. Yes. 1 billion Chinese people will buy my nft fart jar music. 

• Haha 1