3 minutes ago, sweepstakes said:

Man, I didn't think I had anxiety, but I get this too. This happens on a daily basis. It's like I'm overthinking everything but my brain has limited storage space, so I'll just express the details that were significant for me but usually don't mean jack shit for the poor person trying to understand me.

This is actually worse when I talk to people whom I think are smarter than me, because I'll assume that all the context is something that's already well-worn ground for them.

Yep, it gets extreme any time I’m questioning my confidence - holding meetings for executives, speaking to really diverse groups etc. I think it’s social anxiety at least in my case it certainly is. ?

10 minutes ago, randomsummer said:

Fair enough, but a stammer isn't a static thing, it evolves.  Perhaps when he was in the Senate for so long, he was at a comfortable, low-stress frame of mind where it was minimized.  It is often maximized in high-stress situations like what he's going through now.  Instead of speaking just before Congress as he's comfortably done for years and years, he's speaking in front of the whole world in one of the most watched elections ever.

Of course it's possible that you're right to some or the entire degree, all I'm saying is I didn't know he has a stutter before he ran for president, and once I sat down and watched him speak, I could tell instantly.

It's not the stuttering, it's the stuff like being at a rally and confusing his granddaughter with his late son. Holding his granddaughter, looking at her, "This is my son Beau..." I won't keep listing all of these out (there are a lot of them recently) because I don't want to get accused of thought crimes!

Anyway, buckle up for the next four years. It's going to be interesting.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

2 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

I think one thing this election has shown, is that free community college for all is a necessity.

I live in a red state that actually did this a few years ago and I didn't even mind that I had paid my way through college on my own as an adult just a year before this went into effect. Glad to see it and happy to pay taxes to fund it. Educated population is a rising tide that lifts all boats.

• Like 5

saw that word again, in a couple significant places. 

andrew weissmann was a top prosecutor on the mueller investigation. he worked the manafort case. his prior experience includes taking down major organized crime families. 

and here's mary trump, in a recent interview with katie couric, describing some of trump's recent actions as an attempted coup. i'm not sure what other interpretation trump's behavior is consistent with. maybe he's just trying to make it look like he is going along with a plan for a coup, so putin won't be mad at him?

people must insist on absolute civility, should some series of events result in civic demonstrations. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, very honest said:

andrew weissmann was a top prosecutor on the mueller investigation. he worked the manafort case. his prior experience includes taking down major organized crime families. 

This is concerning, for sure, but I think he lacks the fortitude and the strategic finesse to successfully pull this off. He's a showman, not a strategist. What's that Clockwork Orange quote about how violence takes a lot of energy?

I don't have any facts or figures, but unlike most recent GOP candidates, I don't think he got the bulk of the military support. If this is really what he's got up his sleeve, it could hugely backfire.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hijexx said:

lol ok, every time Biden does this it's just a speech impediment then ? No offense to people who struggle with that problem, not trying to throw shade on you at all or even bring you into the conversation (even if you're doing so yourself) but please just keep an open/critical mind over the next four years on this one.

That isn't my opinion. I don't know Biden. I am just going off of what his family has said whenever asked if Biden is mentally fit for president, that is it. For now I am taking them at their word.

Edited by Brisbot

14 minutes ago, ignatius said:

it's crazy how easy indoctrination is. All you need is the semi-frequent repetition of the idea to citizens, and then after a while they will forget where they heard it from and think it's something they reasoned out at some point. Then when they have internalized the lie into their belief system, they agree with whoever is creating the propaganda as if it was their belief all along.

Then you start taking different propaganda ideas, and stringing them together in an abstract fashion, to create a kind of "lifestyle" out of the propaganda that the person may never be able to escape from - such as tying together conservatism and religion. 

It takes a lot of work to undo the damage.

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 4
  • Farnsworth 1

4 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

it's crazy how easy indoctrination is. All you need is the semi-frequent repetition of the idea to citizens, and then after a while they will forget where they heard it from and think it's something they reasoned out at some point. Then when they have internalized the lie into their belief system, they agree with whoever is creating the propaganda as if it was their belief all along.

Then you start taking different propaganda ideas, and stringing them together in an abstract fashion, to create a kind of "lifestyle" out of the propaganda that the person may never be able to escape from, as it takes a lot of work to undo the damage - such as tying together conservatism and religion.

it's what he's done constantly. just repeat the lie long enough and it becomes true. or it becomes true for his followers. the narrative is not random. sure, he throws stuff out to see what sticks but then he goes w/it and doesn't stop. i mean.. it's what's happened all the time but he does it effectively. 

• Like 1

The only way for humanity to truly progress as a whole, is to somehow stop people from falling for it. Then you won't get fascist govt. and all that.

5 minutes ago, ignatius said:

it's what he's done constantly. just repeat the lie long enough and it becomes true. or it becomes true for his followers. the narrative is not random. sure, he throws stuff out to see what sticks but then he goes w/it and doesn't stop. i mean.. it's what's happened all the time but he does it effectively. 

It's not random at all. People think it's because Trump is an idiot... and he is.... but he knows how to create a narrative and he knows how to play his base like a fiddle.

He also does this thing where he will agree with someone on a topic, and then disagree the next day... agree the next... etc. Allowing gullible people watching him to pick and choose what version of Donald Trump most appeals to them.

It is crazy how obvious it is with a million red flags, and yet....

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 2

https://www.axios.com/barr-voter-fraud-investigation-doj-official-resigns-402d05f4-f913-48bc-a0fa-503159216543.html

Richard Pilger, a Department of Justice official who oversees investigations of voter crimes, stepped down from his role Monday after Attorney General Bill Barr authorized U.S. attorneysto probe alleged elections fraud, the New York Times first reported.

• Pilger states in his email to colleagues, also obtained by the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, the new DOJ policy is "abrogating the forty-year old Non-Interference Policy for ballot fraud investigation in the period prior to elections becoming certified and uncontested."

For the record: Pilger stated, "Having familiarized myself with the new policy and its ramifications … I must regretfully resign from my role as Director of the Election Crimes Branch."

• He has been director of the Election Crimes Branch of the Department of Justice since 2010 and will now "move to a nonsupervisory role working on corruption prosecutions," per the NYT.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ignatius said:

I'd also argue that the social distancing rules have proved stressful. he's been going through withdrawal since he hasn't been able to sniff the hair of random women since january. 

Loves some little girl sniffing too but that’s fine because he’s not trump, right

• Facepalm 5

Cognitive decline or not, the US won't stop killing thousands of people around the globe because he is president. Maybe these things aren't the president's decision anyway and the really important matters are never decided by elections. In the end the election just decides which elite group is allowed to rule, which saves them the money and ressources of having to fight it out with weapons. Biden was a strong advocate of the Iraq war where the US used nuclear radiation on civilians. A lot of kids now are born with deformities and genetic defects there. I think the US never had a good president. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

I think one thing this election has shown, is that free community college for all is a necessity.

Democracies can be both powerful and fragile because everybody has a voice in their vote.  IMO the two necessities for an enduring democracy are a reasonably well educated public and a news media system that is not motivated by money.

• Like 2