IGNORED

What reverbs are y’all using?

Limo

Hi all,

@Nil‘s post in the GAS thread got me wondering: which reverb plugins / hardware are guys using? Both for weirdness and for bread and butter?

(there’s once again some money in my music making fund and maybe an upgrade to Ableton’s built in reverb is in order, hence the question)

For me it’s a spring tank for the lolz and Ableton reverb for bread and butter (and the free TAL plug-ins for when I’m using Renoise). I also have some Lexington impulse responses but I’m too lazy to use them.

Surely there’s something better. Thoughts?

all of them. more reverbs the better. layers and layers of different reverbs. in-synth reverbs, outboard reverbs, mixer reverbs. can't have enough. i reverb my reverb. they're all just different flavors and no rhyme or reasoning really ever. just fucking get that reverb on everything except the stuff you don't want it on. :tongue:

• Haha 1
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 3

1 hour ago, d-a-m-o said:

Valhalla vintageverb for software.

Oto machine Bam for hardware.

That vintageverb thing seems to be crazy popular. Wonder why ...

42 minutes ago, auxien said:

all of them. more reverbs the better. layers and layers of different reverbs. in-synth reverbs, outboard reverbs, mixer reverbs. can't have enough. i reverb my reverb. they're all just different flavors and no rhyme or reasoning really ever. just fucking get that reverb on everything except the stuff you don't want it on. :tongue:

Wouldn't that just create a big smear? :puzzled:

ValhallaVintageVerb is a fantastic, affordable all-rounder. You can't really go wrong with it. I especially love its Dirty and Chaotic modes.

If I need anything gorgeously dirty, I'll go for Goodhertz Megaverb. They say they wanted to offer the best bad reverb they could, and they did. Seriously, it's pretty amazing. There's even a Polynomial C preset ❤️

I've recently added Relab Sonsig to my plugin folder. This one is absolutely stunning. It sounds expensive as fuck, and is basically an astonishing collection of sweet spots. Once you start using it, you realize that they fine-tuned it in the most tasteful way, it's impossible not to make it lush. I'm now using it 99% of time (otherwise I'll pick VVV or MV). Oh and it's so easy to mix. Stellar plugin really.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rhmilo said:

Wouldn't that just create a big smear? :puzzled:

a big L U S H smear. :D

but yeah, of course it can be overdone, i was slightly exaggerating with my tone there (much like a well-placed reverb can do.... :dadjoke:). i'm sure there's moments when i'd prefer to have dialed it back on some portion of a track, but in general i really am using lots of reverbs of varying tonality and quality on different parts of tracks. i bought a Quadraverb a few years ago just so i can utilize those more huge quality sounding reverbs when i want to, though of course the Q does more than just that.

regarding what you specifically asked about, Ableton's stock reverb is plenty powerful (as it seems you're well aware) and i was running plenty of hardware through it when i first started doing a hybrid hardware/software studio, and was using it almost exclusively for reverbs when i was just doing software-based writing. using it in varying ways multiple instances in the same track usually, similar to how i'm doing now with hardware reverbs.....it has more to do with spacing and gluing parts of tracks together than just trying to get a particular reverb onto a particular sound. even with how drastically i use reverb sometimes, i really doubt i could tell you which reverb got used on what sound in any track once i've done it: it's just whatever worked with that routing and setup i had at the time.

i say all that to illustrate that it's great to have the best reverbs and all but imo it's more important to be familiar with the ones you have at your disposal than just buying 'the best' one....perhaps 'the best' is what you're most familiar with and is still useful and doesn't leave you feeling that it's lacking? and you're looking for software only from what i gather so not sure i can offer much help there beyond saying i think the Ableton stock is plenty useful. plenty of other quality software reverbs out there being suggested ^^ by others! :)

Oto Bam, Behringer V-Verb Rev2496 and Dark Reverb in the Octatrack cover about 95% of my bases these days.  In software, pretty much exclusively Valhalla stuff at this point (mostly VVV) but ever since I set up a patch bay and track templates in Reaper to make it almost as easy to use hardware inserts as plugins, I find myself mainly using hardware for mixing.

It doesn't see much use these days because of lack of desk space but the Alesis Wedge is still a personal favorite, too, and really cheap if you just set up an eBay alert and wait (mine was around $18). 

Edited by TubularCorporation

for a pedal you might want to look into the H9 Max- 

https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/stompboxes/multi-effect-processor/h9

Richard Device uses one pretty extensively in his setup.

My main reverbs right now are the SSL Flexverb, UA BX 20 Spring reverb and Eventide's Blackhole. 

I would recommend buying a cheapo pedal, like a hall of fame 2, or even a behringer. Just see how much mileage you can get. I’ve gotten tons out of my HoF 1.

said this before in here many a time, but the Roland DEP5 is my all time favorite reverb.

also, the nyx v2 has an excellent reverb on it that you can use with outboard gear. 

mostly valhalla but also fabfilter verb, Flux ircam verb3 (got in a bundle one year for super cheap holiday price. really great verb), also use logic reverbs and convolution reverbs space designer. 

for sound design weirdness there's nothing that comes close to 2caudio B2. it can do all kinds of metalic pseudo granular bendy type reverbs

https://www.2caudio.com/products/b2

hardware pretty much just the tiptop audio Zdsp w/valhalla cards and the mariana trench feedback network. 

will throw in unfiltered audio BYOME for multiFX type verbs. it's really excellent for endless type lush reverbs with other things going on. 

^i played with an Earthquaker Avalanche Run a couple times and it was very nice quality. not cheap tho. heard lots of good about the Zoom MS-70CDR (and seen plenty of good videos showcasing it) but haven't picked one up yet. runs under $100 generally, can do a lot with it.

- reverbs in Monomachine, Machinedrum and Octatrack //for hw and sf synths bc they’re too special to avoid them 

- Reason’s RV7000 reverb //lushest lushly lush

- lexicon sf reverbs // lushest creamy cream 

- Zoom CDR70 pedal //for hw synths 

Meris Mercury7

Ensoniq DP2

Midiverb 2

Spring reverb in Moog GM

Tiptop Zdsp with Valhalla, Mariana Trench and Vertigo cards

Make Noise Mimeophon (sort of delay/reverb combined. I've not tried this yet as need to re-arrange one of the modular cases)

Never understood Valhalla hype. Like, they sounded good when I used them but not sure what sets them apart.

most vintage sounding reverbs can be achieved by using smaller size parameters and lowpassing the diffusion  

xox, forgot about the RV7000—amazing one. Definitely lush right out of the box.

i pretty much learned how to get stuck ableton to do anything I want, for the sake of streamlined workflow, but way more open to plugins nowadays.

Been using that tal reverb, the basic free one. 

Edited by sheatheman