IGNORED

What Do You Guys Think of the Corona Virus?

dingformung

What Do You Guys Think of the Corona Virus?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Is it good or is it whack?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, goDel said:

Mild flu like symptoms: you can count coughs per hour? And measure temperature. Thats an easy one. Pretty smart.

Whoops, should have read the official announcement and not the media rendition of it. You’re right, RIVM itself is indeed very specific: “inhabitants with a cold, inhabitants who find themselves to be coughing and inhabitants with a fever”.

”inhabitants with a cold [verkoudheid]” and “who find themselves to be coughing [die hoesten]” seems to me overly broad, but ok.

Desired outcome:

None given. On the one hand they state something hand-wavey about wanting to map the “potential” spread of the virus in the province, on the other hand they say something about diminishing the chance that you “spread the virus without noticing you’re doing it [onopgemerkt het virus te verspreiden]”. Which is it?

And finally: they say nothing about how this measure (which isn’t a measure at all, just an excuse for people to stay home if they so much as feel their throat itch) is supposed to achieve either the mapping of the potential spread of the virus (again, what does that even mean?) and / or a stop to the accidental (seriously) spread of the virus.

I retract my first point but stand by the two others: this is not the sort of rigor we’ve come to expect from the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (whom I normally hold in very high esteem)

Source: https://www.rivm.nl/nieuws/covid-19-nieuwe-aanwijzing-voor-inwoners-noord-brabant

I think you're being too stubbornly pedantic about this. And not particularly sympathetic toward the position of an authority trying to contain the virus from spreading. Which is the obvious desired outcome, as we're in the so-called containment phase. Not sure, but are you even looking for an argument? (there isnt any, imo) Or just downright contrarian for the sake of it? 

Do you live and teach in that southern part of the Netherlands? I can understand the resistance, if you do. But it's not the kind of resistance with a strong, rational argument, imo. The authorities don't just push these kinds of measures if they don't have a good reason for it. We don't want things to evolve into the stuff taking place in northern italy. Please agree that we don't want to head in that direction and need some kind of preventive actions and all that. Even if you might feel we're still way off from being close to that situation. (that's the deal with being proactive about it. if you're reactive, it is too late)

Oh, I don’t disagree the authorities are right in wanting to slow the spread of this as much as possible (not “contain it” as that is, according to a professor who studies the spread of infectious disease, impossible), and you’re right that Ikm being a bit flippant, but I do stand by my main point which is that this announcement is sloppy and poorly thought out. It’s not *actual* lockdown (which would probably help stop the spread of the virus, albeit at tremendous social and economic cost) but it will give enough people enough reason to withdraw from public life that it will cause severe disruptions - and not in an organized way.

So I’m guessing they were panicking or something and decided they had to send something out but couldn’t agree on something substantial. Typical Dutch compromise material.

We’ll see how it turns out.

2 hours ago, cwmbrancity said:

It has provided a platform for the Dutch members in this thread to illustrate they have a better command of English than most Brits, even if 50% of the argument is a tad pedantic.

And that, ultimately, is what it’s all about.

I think this thread getting more posts than mine despite mine being posted earlier is a sign of watmms decline and decreases the possibility of a new boc album :sad:

Worlds collided today when my internet life of lolling at Australians getting into fights over toilet paper met my irl when I went to Aldi and Savers (a discount toiletries store) and observed all the toilet paper was gone. Also nearly all the pasta was gone in Aldi. 

People are fucking stupid.

44 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

Worlds collided today when my internet life of lolling at Australians getting into fights over toilet paper met my irl when I went to Aldi and Savers (a discount toiletries store) and observed all the toilet paper was gone. Also nearly all the pasta was gone in Aldi. 

People are fucking stupid.

Even here in Canadaland the stores have no TP. There are 57 cases in the country and hysteria buying is already rampant. le-sigh

48 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Even here in Canadaland the stores have no TP. There are 57 cases in the country and hysteria buying is already rampant. le-sigh

here in los angeles there is virtually no hand sanitizer, but we're good on tp. 

Not to spoil the movie or anything, but in the end it turns out humans are the virus.

You can make your own hand sanitizer by combining two thirds isopropyl alcohol and one third aloe vera gel. The alcohol should be between 60% and 99%, so you could technically use something like Everclear if you have it available. The best alcohol mix to use is 70% because it needs a bit of water to permeate the outer layer of the virus.

57 minutes ago, Nebraska said:
2 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

here in los angeles there is virtually no hand sanitizer, but we're good on tp. 

At least hand sanitizer makes a bit of sense!

Not sure why the hysteria on toilet paper lol it's not the stomach flu...

soap and water is always better than hand sanitizer anyway. just go to a sink ffs
this is true, but you can't always get to a bathroom sometimes to wash your hands until either at the office or at home. I have always had a small bottle of hand sanitizer in my cars glove compartment and just restocked with another small bottle.

not sure why there is a TP shortage; I'm guessing people are assuming if the world industries collapse they can at least have a fresh wipe while we rebuild society up again.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

If TP is going to be the post-apoc currency, it isn't going to be convenient carting that around. Easy to get high on your own supply as well with a lot of bad food about.

In all seriousness, it's no bad thing to have a few weeks supplies of essentials, in case 

a) you need to self isolate

b) you need to help someone else

c) everything goes to shit

Archived