IGNORED

What do you think of Godspeed You! Black Emperor?

beerwolf

4 hours ago, Lada Laika said:

I didn't know anybody liked yanqui

Ha, it’s probably my favourite. I vaguely recall hello spiral saying he was a fan too but could have imagined it.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 6:21 AM, Candiru said:

Tortoise is considered post rock, and they're one of my favorite bands. I'm not sure it's the best label for them, since they have a totally different take on it and have very different musical leanings than post-anything bands.

yeah, "post-rock" was a pretty big tent musically when it was coined, it wasn't until all of the bands after Mogwai doing the soft/loud crescendo stuff and the critical success of Sigur Ros and Godspeed that it was defined more specifically

Anyone else here discover them via 28 Days Later? That's inadvertently how I heard them, copied "East Hastings" from a friend's mp3 players when we were swapping files.

I revisit Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven on occasion. Saw them live in 2012-2013 (I think) - hell of a show. 

"Undoing a Luciferian Towers" is my favorite song of theirs, def listened to it more than any other track.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lada Laika said:

Like Autechre?

Funny. I was going to add “as opposed to Autechre” but decided not no.

GYBE! are much more limited than Autechre, IMHO

Seems as though this band has a similar effect to what I experienced when I watched Wolves In The Throne Room at ATP. This was also with Melvins and Sleep supporting Slayer playing entire Reign In Blood as encore, and was just a mind blowing day of awesomeness 

WITTR were so brilliant (it was like being in a eye of a storm of sound) and being swept away on a wall of sound. Just very minimal black set but with lots of dry ice and super bright green L.E.D. lights with their logo illuminated, you could hardly see the band, they were like shadows. Everyone was just stood mesmerized to the spot. The sound engineers that day did a grand job with all the bands.

Anyway I quickly set about getting most of their albums but to be honest the records never had the same effect as the experience of seeing and hearing them live. And I rarely play them.

Edited by beerwolf

With GYBE! it’s the other way around for me. Their albums (well, the first two or so) were quite good, with enough detail to keep things interesting. Live you miss out on the detail and it just becomes one half hour crescendo after another.

• Like 1

I went to see them in 2017 as they performed during a commemoration of the battle of Messines called 'Kraterfront'. The stage was set up in a field in Heuvelland ("hillland") where a row of giant spotlights stood on top of and behind the hills a kilometer or so away, illuminating the beautiful landscape and sky. They started playing when the sun was setting behind the audience. Brilliantly, as the music progressed a full moon was slowly rising over the hills in front of us. Powerful stuff...

A short video of the event

• 10 months later...

Didn't see this thread first time around, but the new album brought me to this thread.

Been listening to them since lift your skinny fists came out, saw them live once (after Yanqui came out) and agree that they're amazing live.

They can be pretentious at times IMO, but I think the first 2 albums are really amazing and the "filler" is not pretentious or obtuse at all.  I cannot find fault with lift your skinny fists, it's one of my favorite albums.  Later albums were kind of ho-hum for me, but there are still some great moments on them for me.  I still listen to Motherfucker=Redeemer from Yanqui all the time.

Also really got into Silver Mt. Zion.  I love their first 2 albums, but yeah Efrim kind of ruined it later with his singing.  ASMZ can be really pretentious at times, but I think the music and lyrics (when I can get through Efrim's vocals) are much more moving (sad / hopeful) to me than GYBE.  Could've Moved Mountains... might be one of my favorite tracks of any artist, and it became even more so to me after hearing Efrim's motivation for writing it.  Kollaps Tradixionales is my favorite of their newer albums.  I really love the lyrics that Efrim writes for ASMZ, it's just such a goddamn shame that he chooses to sing the way he does.  I think he prob can't sing well and also sees it as a sort of "punk" thing to do, to sing like that.  I was listening to ASMZ a lot during the weeks between the election and Biden's win; it was the perfect soundtrack to my mood of being in a fucked up state but still feeling somewhat hopeful.

Edited by randomsummer
  • Like 3

Just listened to Skinny Fists again for the first time in maybe a year or so. I remember liking this album a lot more but this time it felt very self absorbent and really indulged in its track lengths. Felt like the band set out to make >20 min long track without the material to really cover that time frame. There's just so much time spent on that album effectively doing nothing. There are a few spots that are really great that they sort of overshadow much of the drivel. But on relisten, much of it feels new because a lot of it is unmemorable. You have to wade through a bunch of muck to get at the parts you remember loving. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 6:31 PM, milkface said:

It was coney island ?? they called ??Coney Island ??the playground ????of the world ?there was no ❌❌ place ? like it ?? in the whole world ? like Coney Island ??when I was a youngster ??no place in the world ? like it ?????it was so fabulous ?????now it's shrunk down ?? to almost nothing ❌❌❌ you see ? and uh I still remember ??in my mind?? how things used to be ??and uh you know I feel very bad ???but people ?‍?‍?‍?from all over ? the world ? came here ?from all over the world ??? it was the playground ?? they called it the playground ?????? of the world ? over here ?anyways you see ?? I uh you know ?I even got when I was very small ??I even got lost ???at Coney Island ??❓ but they found me ???on the on the beach ?????and we used to sleep ???on the beach here ? sleep overnight ???they don't do that anymore ❌they don't sleep anymore on the beach ❌?❌??????❌??❓❓❓???

bruh all the emojis broke and the copypasta is ruined ?

On 4/26/2020 at 2:03 PM, Lada Laika said:

I didn't know anybody liked yanqui

I missed this thread first time around as well – I didn't know anyone didn't like that one. It's def the most jammy but why would you say that? I do remember something to do with Albini but this was forever ago and I can barely remember breakfast.

On 3/8/2021 at 1:19 PM, jules said:

I missed this thread first time around as well – I didn't know anyone didn't like that one. It's def the most jammy but why would you say that? I do remember something to do with Albini but this was forever ago and I can barely remember breakfast.

When Yanqui came out a lot of people were trashing it because they said that Albini's production destroyed GYBE's "sound".

On 3/9/2021 at 7:48 PM, randomsummer said:

When Yanqui came out a lot of people were trashing it because they said that Albini's production destroyed GYBE's "sound".

Yup. Big Albini and GYBE fan here but I did not care for it. Was eagerly awaiting it too.

I was at the Shellac curated ATP in 2002 and my pals and I were trying to get info off both Efrim and Albini in the pub.

The dropping of all the electronics and samples etc was a disappointment for me. Too po faced and austere.

On 4/27/2020 at 2:49 AM, joshuatxuk said:

yeah, "post-rock" was a pretty big tent musically when it was coined, it wasn't until all of the bands after Mogwai doing the soft/loud crescendo stuff and the critical success of Sigur Ros and Godspeed that it was defined more specifically

yeah tortoise were the band that a journo coined the term over. Because 'it's not quite rock and not quite jazz'

The quiet/loud thing came after.

It almost parallels with the distortion of 'dubstep' as a label/genre

Edited by hello spiral

• 10 months later...

I had no idea, or else somehow forgot, G_d’s Pee @ State’s End existed.  *jots it down*

I’ve always liked them since back in the day, but something about the production on Luciferan Towers rubbed me the wrong way and I’ve only listened to it a coupla times.  

Haha holy shit someone finally uploaded it

Edit: didn’t click on ilqx’s link before posting, soz

Edited by baph
  • Like 2