IGNORED

Autechre - SIGN 16.10.20

NewSchoolScience

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I'm still 13 pages behind catching up on this thread but...

esc desc =

esc desc was stuck in my head just as i loaded the thread - this has blown my mind, i won't be forgetting this so soon (it's my fave duran track!)

• Like 1

I thought it was real interesting to discover in the New York Times interview that M4 Lema took around 3 months to make (tried to quote it here but can’t read the article anymore without subscribing) - and that it begun quite differently to how it ended up. No wonder that piece feels like an endless tapestry of details and sonic hints to discover. It’s amazing! 

Edited by Lianne
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Chabraendeky said:

Was this already shared here?
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/13/arts/music/autechre-sign-interview.html

NY Times interview with Ae abut SIGN. There are some pearls in it...

Hey, wait, what?? What is Sean doing here in Norway? Hiking in the mountains? Fishing? Rock climbing? Scouting after new venues for holding gigs in? Guess we'll never find out ?

Edited by naawRaybarn

16 minutes ago, Richie Sombrero said:

Isn't that where Squarepusher broke his wrist?

Stay safe Sean!

Maybe he goes there as its dark in winter like their live shows.

Oh, I didn't know about this story. What happened to Tom? 

Well, the winter and the dark polar nights isn't over us quite yet ? Autumn is in full gear here though, cold, grey and rainy, so not so unlike Manchester in that regard, I guess! lol

11 hours ago, ignatius said:

"It’s difficult to listen to because it’s too emotionally resonant. "

nail on the head. fuck. this is how i felt on first listen. so heavy. 

had an old page tab open and read this again so im just quoting it to say that i agree with it it feels emotionally like the greatest thing ever made

Pretty solid review that one, I think we’ll be quoting it for years. Excerpts/summarises the collaborative/artistic process, a bit on SIGN, and responding to ‘the critics’. I like how Pareles gently refers to the obligatory generative question as ‘some electronic musicians’ and Sean immediately confronts it. The answer info all complements well. 

13 hours ago, Chabraendeky said:

Was this already shared here?
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/13/arts/music/autechre-sign-interview.html

NY Times interview with Ae abut SIGN. There are some pearls in it...

SEAN BOOTH It’s strangely jarring. It’s sort of too real. All this Covid stuff has put me in a really different place from where I was when we were just compiling it. Back then we were saying, “This is totally right.” But now I’m wondering if it’s too right. And I’m really feeling a bit self-conscious if I’m being totally honest. It’s difficult to listen to because it’s too emotionally resonant. I was going for making something pure and new and sort of surprising, and now I’ve ended up with something that’s almost predictable. So I’m reluctant to play it too much because I feel like that place it puts me in is perhaps a little bit too cathartic.

@SEAN BOOTH

I agree, listened to it several times on digital. I'll put the vinyl into my shelf and open it 2022.

I weirdly have the same feeling for the noise stuff i did during covid.

Thank you anyways.

Edited by Psychotronic

9 minutes ago, kieselguhr kid said:

there seems to be a review in the latest issue of The Wire too, anyone got that?

5 minutes ago, Roo said:

*edit

yes I think someone left Wire & Stereogum links a page or two back

yeah thx; actually read it there and just forgot about it instantly  :blink:

1 hour ago, naawRaybarn said:

Hey, wait, what?? What is Sean doing here in Norway? Hiking in the mountains? Fishing? Rock climbing? Scouting after new venues for holding gigs in? Guess we'll never find out ?

WTF. I guess he wants to get away from all the fans, paparazzi and the British tabloid press linking him to Pippa Middleton and Katie Price. Now he has found solitude in some small Norwegian community, where he can walk around like a normal man, and spends his time hiking in the forest and mountains.  But then some day, a strange creepy looking guy (that's me), stands outside the small hobbit-like hut he is renting, screaming "SEAN PLS!" Neighbors notice my AE-covid mask, and starts googling. Suddenly people realize they have an international techno star living in THEIR village! Busloads of fans comes from towns from Hammerfest to Mandal, there are AE-tribute rave parties followed by riots, chaos and a second covid wave. Norwegian tabloid press starts linking Sean to Martha Louise and Rachel Nordtømme. People are hammering at Seans door all night screaming things like “will there be another Dual Purpose release?” and “do you know what Pule means in Norwegian?”. And then Sean thinks “fuck it”, goas back to Manchester and starts working on the follow up GNIS. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 7