IGNORED

Stream Damogen-Furies in full

behindthebeats

Saw him on Saturday in SF and much preferred these tracks live. I expected this to be much more experimental after that set.

The lack of dynamics is what makes the melodic cheese so bad at times, its not like cheese is a new thing for squarepusher. The synths sound samey for much of the album and the particular buzzy sound he goes for is just not that interesting to me.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw him on Saturday in SF and much preferred these tracks live. I expected this to be much more experimental after that set.

The lack of dynamics is what makes the melodic cheese so bad at times, its not like cheese is a new thing for squarepusher. The synths sound samey for much of the album and the particular buzzy sound he goes for is just not that interesting to me.

He's always had a pretty limited synth palette though. In his early stuff the complexity in the rhythm programming probably distracted from that, he seems to have gotten bored with that now though, he's more into lots of different fx edits now.

After the two previewed tracks my expectations were rock bottom for this, but some of these are actually pretty solid.

Should make a pretty decent EP I reckon.

I never, ever want to hear kontenjazz again though...

Guest bitroast

Had a quick listen but this pretty bullshit migraine kicked in around track 5 and i had to go to bed with a splitting headache and eventually vomit. I assure you none of this had anything to do with trying to listen to the new album lol.

Was kind of enjoying what i was hearing. First, scattered half baked listen reminded me of zappa's Jazz from hell. The melodies sounded fucked up and saweet.

All the people who hate this album - have you heard any Squarepusher before?? It's truly fucking awesome Tom Jenkinson sonic, melodic carnage! I'm digging this more than Ufabulum.

Was kind of enjoying what i was hearing. First, scattered half baked listen reminded me of zappa's Jazz from hell. The melodies sounded fucked up and saweet.

Funny you said that. Totally had that impression on a few tracks. Like Zappa made a fully electronic album as it were.

Really enjoying this album. Ufabulum had too many soft parts and filler in my opinion, and this album kind of takes what I like about Ufabulum and stretches it over the whole album. It's not really that awesome (in the classic sense of the word) or anything though, but few SP tracks are, to me personally. I think part of my enjoyment comes precisely from not really expecting anything in particular from Squarepusher like I do from other artists.

I can see myself playing this album over and over for the next couple of weeks. All in all, I'm satisfied with this.

I can't say I hate it and I can't say I love it. I respect the dude though, he's clearly trying new things. Just not my favourite Squarepusher vibe.

After all that nicety, Kontenjazz....oh dear. What!

The middle section of Kontenjaz sounds like euro disco stuff, but the beginning and ending are worth it for me. I can bear that one minute or so for the start and outro of the track.

Overall, sounds good! Sonically more interesting than Ufabulum, absolute mind fuckery in places. Also, BALTANG ORG... :cattears:

first thing that sp has done that is actually listenable, that is from those 10 secs i skipped trough the whole album, might even pirate this.

this is way better than ufabulum, even in regard to eventual cheese

or should remind you of UNREAL SQUARE? geez i prefer rayc fire a million times sorry

also, if you think that each sp album borrows themes from their predecessor it was obvious there was going to be ufabumbum palette on this one. already anticipating what's coming after (tending to a darker and more complex approach to composition and getting rid of shobaleader leftovers). but anyway i respect the man's experiments, he should go on the direction he wants wth

First, scattered half baked listen reminded me of zappa's Jazz from hell. The melodies sounded fucked up and saweet.

:O

I need to hear this

just finished listening to kontenjaz, so far this is pretty much ideal electronic jazz fusion, I can totally understand what he was going for on this album, and I'm not really sure I get the eurodisco comparison?

oh wait wait I mean.. he should just churn out endless amen break acid jamz, or something, I mean I can't see how that'd ever get boring, am I doing it right guys?

I quite enjoy Just Like Stor Eiglass. maybe Tommeh should go for the mascara/smudged lipstick/spiderweb hair look.

He's definitely a closet goth.

Had a quick listen but this pretty bullshit migraine kicked in around track 5 and i had to go to bed with a splitting headache and eventually vomit. I assure you none of this had anything to do with trying to listen to the new album lol.

thats the worst album imaginable for a migraine

the only thing I really dislike at the moment is the lack of space during the melodies, they sound epic but too much interruption

the only thing I really dislike at the moment is the lack of space during the melodies, they sound epic but too much interruption

yeah, I agree, altho I think Ufabulum was worse. def doesn't help with the low quality stream

Guest skibby

streamed at NPR last night, and I was really charged hearing this. I've always had great respect for Tom Jenkinson's work. Most of these recordings sound timeless, and shred genres. The rawness and playfulness are astonishing for having been made by a geezer, but possess wisdom that only one could impart. No less a geezer who in a large part built his own genre, but that goes without saying if I'm posting this in the SP forum.

Guest bitroast

yeah, I agree, altho I think Ufabulum was worse. def doesn't help with the low quality stream

lol yeah agree 100% that it was bad migraine music (wtf is good migraine music tho lol).

i think the lo-quality stream actually helped. kind of softened up the mix a bit :)

Archived