IGNORED

Autechre - PLUS 20.11.20

Blir

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, danshoebridge said:

I was thinking of doing the same, maybe with a few edits on certain tracks. See if it could work as a single LP.

Ever since Elseq I can't seem to resist tinkering with AE releases. Blasphemy I know...

i'd call blasphemy over their older stuff maybe, but with the last ~10 years of releases, it seems too easy and in some cases almost necessary to do this. maybe not the editing tracks (blasphemy! jk) but tracklist > playlist edits is pretty acceptable/normal for everything since Quaristice era, imo. 

i wonder how long before they just start doing singles regularly. was expecting that with their own bleepstore but that seems to be going out now...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auxien said:

i'd call blasphemy over their older stuff maybe, but with the last ~10 years of releases, it seems too easy and in some cases almost necessary to do this. maybe not the editing tracks (blasphemy! jk) but tracklist > playlist edits is pretty acceptable/normal for everything since Quaristice era, imo. 

i wonder how long before they just start doing singles regularly. was expecting that with their own bleepstore but that seems to be going out now...

totally, Quaristice in particular felt very choose-your-own-adventure: do I want to hear the short Tankakern next or the long one? One Perlence or five Perlences?

With PLUS I haven't tried resequencing anything but I'll admit I often just listen to the run of ecol4 -> lux106mod -> X4 alone because those tracks are so fucking great

• Like 2

I couldn't possibly reorder any autechre release. I think they have always spent a ton of time sequencing things and they are amazing at it. Even their monster DJ mixes are perfect. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jules said:

I couldn't possibly reorder any autechre release. I think they have always spent a ton of time sequencing things and they are amazing at it. Even their monster DJ mixes are perfect. 

yeah, all true no doubt. if anyone had any doubts about this, the NTS series proves otherwise, the way they pieced together and edited hundreds of tracks down into those choice cuts designed to fit exactly in the 2 hour sessions. 

that said, they've obviously done plenty of playlisting/mixes/track editing of their own their entire lives so doing a bit of it too with their stuff only seems fair.  :emotawesomepm9:

24 minutes ago, Boxus said:

totally, Quaristice in particular felt very choose-your-own-adventure: do I want to hear the short Tankakern next or the long one? One Perlence or five Perlences?

With PLUS I haven't tried resequencing anything but I'll admit I often just listen to the run of ecol4 -> lux106mod -> X4 alone because those tracks are so fucking great

yeah! i still need to re-do a Quaristice playlist. had a good one years ago but i think i've lost it.

haven't played with the SIGN/PLUS stuff yet, still slowly absorbing them as they are...but could see doing that down the road

there is no doubt that each album is thought as a guided dive, especially from overstep onwards, but it is also true that if every time I wanted to listen to freuleaux I had to start from feed1, it would become a climb to Golgotha

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/9/2020 at 1:25 PM, jaderpansen said:

well at least on PLUS (to get somewhat back on topic) my bet's on sean. we know from his jam transmission that ecol and x4 are by him, which are the longest tracks by far, making up roughly 43% of the album alone.

What's the exact source for this? I know he shared a bunch of jam snippets at one point but is it confirmed that the fully released tracks didn't get any additional input from Rob? 

1 hour ago, toaoaoad said:

What's the exact source for this? I know he shared a bunch of jam snippets at one point but is it confirmed that the fully released tracks didn't get any additional input from Rob? 

no it's not, i was talking out my ass in a supposedly humorous way. all we semi-know is that he probably started those.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/23/2021 at 3:37 AM, toaoaoad said:

do you (or anyone) have a link to those snippets?

• 3 months later...

Relistening to PLUS now for the first time in one week short of five months.

DekDre Scap B flows so utterly seemlessly into 7FM ic. Both are full of the crunch and crispness I love in Ae's music. 7FM ic has, among other aspects a patch similar to one of those found in the classic early jungle tune by Nasty Habits, Here Come the Drums. The noise laden funky electro marhide is a jam and a half unlike anything else in their career and remind us that two of the most important influences on the 'chre (although admittedly at different points in their career) have been electro by the likes of Mantronix or Newcleus as well as musique concrete and tape music by the likes of Bernard Parmegiani. ecol4 is a jammy jamjam jammeroo jamming jam. No, it doesn't bang, but it covers a lot of ground and really shines, though at nine seconds short of 15 minutes can feel a bit long for when one is feeling short on patience. But though 15 minutes is fairly long for a song, Autechre are generally purveyors of music that one should always give full patience to, in order to reap the full rewards of the brothers' intricate sonic tapestries. There is a whole heck of a lot going on in X4, much much more than it may seem even after a handful of listens, even at the two and a half minute mark, which is not even yet a third of the way through this song. To me, this song feels like receiving data from an cartography mission carried out by a small fleet of satellites or probes. There is an overall uniformity to it but at every turn there is so much depth and shape. TM1 open is just incredibly lovely. A companion piece of sorts to SIGN's si00 and at times feeling like Autechrian acid house with some really rather 303-sounding bass squelches, it also sits nicely with marhide for some of that retro flavour. But then it's last 2 minutes recall n Cur, the closer of SIGN, which in turn recall the last two numbers of Oversteps.

The only tracks that feel like "outtakes from SIGN"* to me are ii.pre esc, lux 106 mod, & esle 0. But in fact these three, which together only make up six more seconds over 13 minutes, like a handful on the accompanying album, feel rather similar to Oversteps and Move of Ten, which is rather a welcome thing, if you ask me. In fact if you took those three along with F7, esc desc, Metaz form8, gr4, th red a, & r cazt from SIGN & column thirteen from NTS Session 4, you'd have 10 tracks, totalling 1:04:08, all of which would be rather akin to the sounds Sean & Rob first brought before us in the start of the previous decade, but rather more ambient. Almost one might say, the atmosphere of the planet whose surface is explored in Oversteps and Move of Ten.

p1p2, the Japanese bonus track, feels to me like the lads' darkest since Perlence Subrange 6-36

*This is how some attempt to malign PLUS.

• Like 5
  • Farnsworth 1

• 2 weeks later...

ecol4 is definitely my favorite track on the album at this point. beautiful sound design with all sorts of lovely stuff going on in the high frequencies offset by that smooth deep bass. it morphs in so many fascinating ways throughout its duration. and it's got that cool, airy, emotionally ambiguous vibe I just love.

• Like 3

SIGN has been out for over a year now.

psin AM still hits me in the feels hardest - a foreboding yet cautiously optimistic tone perfectly reflecting the time of release...with the end of COVID still nowhere in sight and the looming threat of a possible Trump reelection...

5 hours ago, auxien said:

what’s the crashing/breaking sound in DekDre Scap B at 2:28? someone jumping onto a deck chair?

maybe a literal mic drop?

it carries in the fine tradition of autechre songs with evident microphone sampling

Edited by markedone
  • Like 1

Really loving PLUS right now, when they came out I thought sign was by far the better album (still do think it's my fav of 2 tbh) but I actually ended up not listening to Plus much, so rediscovering it now is a bit like having a new Ae album to get into all over again!!

Listening to it without comparing it to its brethren has really opened up this album for me.

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

I put it on today and had a fresh experience with it, about a year since the last listen. Just on reading the last page I see a few are in agreement about the middle of this album being total standout material, beginning with ecol4 and (for me) coming down four tracks later with ii.pre esc. These tracks are mind-blowing and share so much detail and space together that were they actually a 4-track EP, I would find it flawless as Envane.

And after all of that, to end with TM1 open is a power move and an absolutely bonkers track and what I want more of from them. Brilliant in a nearly different direction. This album has realllllly sunk in for me and it's a new favorite. Glad others love it too.

Edited by alchemical
  • Like 3