IGNORED

Are you totally happy with the Blackbox Life Recorder 21 f EP Release so far?

cern

Are you totally happy with the Blackbox Life Recorder 21 f EP Release so far?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Are you totally happy with the Blackbox Life Recorder 21 f EP Release so far?

• Yes of course, freaking love it all give me it already!
    • Yes sure, but could have been a little bit longer or more tracks!
    • Yes, but I was expecting an Album or something bigger and not a EP only!
    • No, it feels lame with all QR-campaigns for only a short EP!
    • No, After waiting many years Im so disappointed at this release!
    • I don't even care about this Aphex Twin Dude!

Just now, DavieAddison said:

Why is it almost twice the price of the Collapse EP when it's half the length?

Indeed, that is why I released this morning I need to cancel the vinyl purchase. 

It is too expensive for that length of a EP ?

It's very lacklustre for an artist of his calibre. But I guess it's part of his shtick putting out boring shit every now and again, like Cheetah. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 1

18 hours ago, jules said:

i’m a little to old to give a fuck about chasing qr codes and tracking down random clues. Is it fun to read about? Sure - it’s silly stuff and it’s classic watmm.

I’d say if the 3 EP rumor is true and I have to pay $37 x 3 for 45 minutes of music, I’m def gonna be annoyed. But I don’t see them doing that at this point.

At the end of the day, it’s new music from Aphex - so fuck yes - I’m happy.

I think insane physical prices is the direct result of music being essentially free via streaming these days... I was in a record shop the other day and couldn't believe Depeche Mode's latest LP on vinyl was 45.00 USD...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, cern said:

Indeed, that is why I released this morning I need to cancel the vinyl purchase. 

It is too expensive for that length of a EP ?

Collapse = pre-pandemic pricing

We gotta fund Richard's retirement!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chim said:

It's very lacklustre for an artist of his calibre. But I guess it's part of his shtick putting out boring shit every now and again, like Cheetah. 

Yeah, it seems to be a thing. I know not everyone will see certain releases that way, and genuinely happy for them if they enjoy all the material - but I kinda have to periodically play his best / most beloved tracks again to reminded myself how good he can be. I also circle back to something like Cheetah to try to get into it again; I hope it'll hit the spot in a different mood or place but it's always underwhelming. Even with chill stuff you want some detailing, development, a bit of mystery or a slight bit of harmonic tension. I'm getting so tired of hearing certain sequences and drum sounds from Richard in this era, for eg...over and over again. Collapse was very cool though, an unexpected consistently high effort work across all the tracks involved! I forget about Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 sometimes too; it has three amazing tracks (the first and last especially) but some of the others feel a bit underdeveloped and throwaway too imho. 

OK enough negativity lol. He's totally loaded and has many, many adoring fans so all is well. The hype will live on no matter what he does. And I know I genuinely want to enjoy all these new efforts by Mr. Twin. His best amaze me, but he's not the most consistently quality guy around these days.

Edited by Lianne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Lianne said:

Yeah, it seems to be a thing. I know not everyone will see certain releases that way, and genuinely happy for them if they enjoy all the material - but I kinda have to periodically play his best / most beloved tracks again to reminded myself how good he can be. I also circle back to something like Cheetah to try to get into it again; I hope it'll hit the spot in a different mood or place but it's always underwhelming. Even with chill stuff you want some detailing, development, a bit of mystery or a slight bit of harmonic tension. I'm getting so tired of hearing certain sequences and drum sounds from Richard in this era, for eg...over and over again. Collapse was very cool though, an unexpected consistently high effort work across all the tracks involved! I forget about Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 sometimes too; it has three amazing tracks (the first and last especially) but some of the others feel a bit underdeveloped and throwaway too imho. 

OK enough negativity lol. He's totally loaded and has many, many adoring fans so all is well. The hype will live on no matter what he does. And I know I genuinely want to enjoy all these new efforts by Mr. Twin. His best amaze me, but he's not the most consistently quality guy around these days.

Honestly, music is so subjective and interpretive, it's really hard to say if an artist has "done their best" on any of their works... from the artist's perspective, they released something they like and are proud of (one would hope) and whether or not us, the fans/public like it is a whole other matter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

This is the problem, imo

The explosion of hype via the internet and getting sucked into a swirling mass of opinions isn't a positive thing. As I said before, and call me old fashioned, I'd just prefer to buy the record and hear it myself, totally isolated from all that. I think it's what's known as a 'double edged sword'. 

LYING SNOWBLIND IN THE SUN

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joyrex said:

I think insane physical prices is the direct result of music being essentially free via streaming these days... I was in a record shop the other day and couldn't believe Depeche Mode's latest LP on vinyl was 45.00 USD...

I dunno - the new Sigur Ros preorder is only a few more dollars for 45 minutes and 2 12" records. New Aphex is insta-buy and Im not really complaining. I was just saying that if there really is 3 EPs (I think you alluded to that) and they are all this pricing, it will be over $100 for that and that just seems like gouging to me. I also don't see that happening but Id be happier complaining about more than less lol. Either way, Im happy to have new music from him and will support without question.

10 hours ago, o00o said:

Cheetah was really cool

Yup, my absolute favorite of the ep's (so far). Also cool that the (main) cheetah tracks were first part of the sc dump and ended up getting an own themed release since Rich got so excited of them in a same way as we did. Cheetah is chill af.

Imo, as huge as T69 Collapse was, Blackbox is even bigger. Tickles just the right spots. I've already listened to it a ridiculous amount of times within these two days. Also loving how deep the end part of the ambient mix roars.

Happy with the new tunes - really want those Unreleased Live Tracks 2016-2019 as we all must!

As for the price - with spotify artist-stealing, Vinyl basically being a luxury good these days, his SC dumps, all these nuggets over the years including 100's of juicey live sets. Rich can get rich off us no probs in my mind

23 hours ago, cern said:

I was just thinking how this AFX+Weirdcore+Cirklon direction has never clicked with me, and how that's fine. His love for that sequencer made the music sound a certain way. That hyper digital and flashy visual art style, which at this point I can't help but associate with the tracks when I listen to them, made the music sound a certain way, and it's not really my vibe.

I identify myself with this...

• Like 1
  • Burger 1