IGNORED

AE_Live 2022

YELLOW

1 hour ago, jaderpansen said:

yeah, amazing set. falls somewhere right in the middle of 14's full frontal dance assault and 16's psychedelia imo.

not gonna rank these (yet...), but yeah, somehow the later versions (bergen/turin) seem a tad more restrained, which actually helps in terms of dynamics. like, i think, around helsinki they start turning "pads" completely off when that clanky part comes in around the 40 min mark, just to let them resurface slowly, great dramatic effect.

and yo, don't even get me started on the b side, that final droney hip hop part is quite something, innit? the sound of determination.

That b set is insane good. 

Only heard Milan and London B yetsofar. Going to listen to Turin next. Very glad to be able to type again!

• Like 4

Listening to Turin and just as I was thinking "There are few surprises in new Autechre these days, not that it's a remotely negative thing since I love this vibe/sound", I got a surprise around 12 minutes or so in with some stop-then-start type action. The continuity from Quaristice through to and including AE_LIVE_2022 is palpable. This in turn seems to cast Chiastic Slide through to and including Untitlted in another continuity. For the moment, it seems equally likely ae will continue from where they are sonically or this may be the send off to the current chapter in their discography. Around 18:50something and past that, there is a good deal of  percussion I'm really digging the vibe and feels fairly different from that which proceeded it even in the context of the set, an elaboration of a sort I wasn't totally anticipating.

• Like 1

I'd be really remiss (and just plain incorrect) to call any of this conventional but I am enjoying very much the section of this that might be called an Autechrean hybrid of industrial, techno, dub, and trap, there's something evoking a robotic duck I'm enjoying a lot, not its quack but its gait

• Like 3

Return of some Oversteps era sounds around the half hour mark, or am I thinking of something from Exai? Fuck, can't remember

Edited by splesh

I could be imagining things, and talking shit as a result, but I think Athens is a highlight for me so far.  I really like Bergen and Turin's lighter touches and more diffuse feel, they are kinda psychedelic in places, but Athens spends a long time just being funky with lots of really strong bassline like elements, lots of strong rhythmical stuff underpinning the warping and shifting sounds that fill all the sets.

• Like 2

Loving these new lives!! Only listened to each one once so far but seemed lots more variation between sets then other batches.

Far to early to pick a fav but the 2nd half of London B did particularly blow my mind! 

Looking forward to playing these all loads more...thx Robby & Seany ❤️

• Like 6

Instabought as a principle. But. IDK, didn't connect with any of those and past Ae_Lives. What I hear is a lot of warbling,

noodling at the bottom of a filter buried swamp.

Enlighten me. I really want to like this. I will continue with London B because of praise ^^

Edited by WurstPLUS

45 minutes ago, WurstPLUS said:

Instabought as a principle. But. IDK, didn't connect with any of those and past Ae_Lives. What I hear is a lot of warbling,

noodling at the bottom of a filter buried swamp.

Enlighten me. I really want to like this. I will continue with London B because of praise ^^

You also didn't like Quaristice for a good while, so give it time, Wurstwasser. You'll either get there in time or you won't, it's okay. Is there any live Autechre you like, from any tour?

and here i am thinking the clanky part +addendum in london a might be the best iterarion of the lot.

these are all so damn good in their own right.

bergen features that sleazy slow hop stuff towards the end that's in london b, too somewhere in the first 3rd.

and yup, being baked helps.

pls.

Edited by jaderpansen
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, splesh said:

You also didn't like Quaristice for a good while, so give it time, Wurstwasser. You'll either get there in time or you won't, it's okay. Is there any live Autechre you like, from any tour?

Parts of Helsinki from the 2020 AE_LIVE. What I really loved was some old bootleg, 90s, IDK "Manchester BOTW" something. Which had insane Left Blank and Liccflii. But that's probably the point, they played fleshed out (album) tracks, today they're doing that kind of template based freestyle mixing.

• Like 1