IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

yeah i've found hardware samplers to be the one bit of kit that i cbf with in the face of modern computer studios. they were awesome for their time and impressive machines in their own right but just too cumbersome for me.

mpcs are a different story, and i can dig getting old 12 and 8 bit samplers for the quality but my s3000xl will be the first to go should i sell anything.

the S5000 and S6000 was alright, I had the S6000 and it was a dream to sample and edit on.

But that was essentially a soft-sampler in a rackmount case really...so you may as well go for something like HALion (at least at the time when it was released, anyways).

if you're going to go for hardware samplers in this day and age, I would personally only touch one if it were an S950, and even then I would only have that for the 12bit sound and analog filters (the 12bit you can do in software easy, and the analog filter can probably be surpassed by VSTs now too).

in any case, sorry....it sounds like I'm majorly ragging on hardware samplers and I don't mean to be!

That S2000 just brought back horrible horrible memories!

Also the S2000 uses linear interpolation which can make higher notes a little fuzzy. Good for pads, though. And I liked the "intelligent" time stretch on that thing. The S950 uses individual, variable clocks on each voice to alter pitch, so aliasing isn't an issue.

Overall I like my MPC1k better than any rack sampler I've owned, but I do miss the A5000 sometimes. Pretty unique sound and the FX are great. Horrible interface, though.

that last pic is all that remains of my studio as of today… the s2000 wouldn't sell. i acquired it off of a friend for next to nothing. Its definitely out dated in this "day and age" but I'm not going to complain about it. It does what its meant for well enough in my opinion. I don't do a ton of sampling, so something to do the job is all i need.

my studio has been disassembled, moved out of ex-gf flat... going travelling for a few months with an AR, A4, and sherman filterbank, diva, aalto & phoscyon. i'll miss my modular, but what can you do :]

What's you guys opinion on the higher end hardware samplers like the s6000 with the detachable screen?

I have still never found a softsampler that I like at all. Everything on the market is packaged with these shitty giant ass sample libraries that I will never use. I want the ability to hit record, sample something and assign it to a midi note in like 15-20 seconds.

I have an electribe esx and sampling on that thing SUCKS. There are like 6 steps involved and every time I do it I have to get out the shitty manual. Bah.

Software like kontakt is almost what I want, but I want it to be like 50% as complicated as it is. NI sucks at user interface. I go into rage mode everytime I touch something from them because it's so unintuitive.

The S5000 is the bee's knees. I have one with USB, which is handy. But I think the best feature (or at least my favorite) is that it uses DOS-formatted floppies, which makes it easy to load a few short samples without firing up ak.Sys. Pretty much the only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't seem to have cyclic time stretch, only more "intelligent" algorithms that I don't find particularly useful. But then, I mostly stick to a couple of drum kits which each fit on a floppy... Oh, dual MIDI I/O is kinda nice, too.

As for the S6000, I suppose the detachable screen might be handy, but it adds 1U of height to an already bulky unit. It might make sense if you keep the thing buried in a big rack, but in your typical bedroom setup the practical benefit might be slim to nil.

yeah i've found hardware samplers to be the one bit of kit that i cbf with in the face of modern computer studios. they were awesome for their time and impressive machines in their own right but just too cumbersome for me.

mpcs are a different story, and i can dig getting old 12 and 8 bit samplers for the quality but my s3000xl will be the first to go should i sell anything.

I've got a Emu 4xt ultra and i cant really fault it at all besides the bloody fan which is a little loud, pretty fucking loud actually. Some many filters, its pretty much a super synth, i use it for everything. Have a nice 15 gig HD in it too and picked it up for about 300$ aus which is a bargain, think they retailed at a few thousand when they came out. Plus using an mpc as its sequencer is perfect. I look forward to getting a akai sometime when the time is right.

i feel like it just sounds a hell of a lot better then any software sampler ive used but yeah, if you havent got the space..

Shabby_Road.jpg

The internet hates me so I cannot work out how to embed my picture.

Nice!

nice ufo turntable

I nearly put it up for sale the other day as they are fetching mad money these days (£1000+ from what I can gather) as I don't gig much with it anymore. I could grab a 2nd hand PDX2000 & a mixer and put the rest towards a Moog Sub37!!!

lol, my girlfriend talked me out of it!!! Remember your roots she said........

Thanks for getting it to display btw Gocab :)

how does it sound?

The vocoder? Hard to say so far, I've only had it a week and don't have a preamp yet, so I've only got a few squeaks and squawks out of it. I haven't even installed most of it (slewing, voiced/unvoiced detector) in the rack yet. :/

This sounds good though. :)

BuN_g8VIEAAB46H.jpg

Is it a synth as well or just a sequencer??

Looks cool, hope it sells well for you.

Thanks! It's just a sequencer, with CV, gate and accent outputs, as well as run/stop and clock pulse inputs and outputs. It has no oscillator, filter, attenuator or envelope generator, you have to hook it up to external ones. We're going for the modular / Unix approach of "do one thing, and do it well."

We gave away about 40 business cards last weekend at the meetup the above photo was taken at, and several shops have contacted us, so it looks like our biggest problem might be keeping up with demand, to begin with. The best kind of problem!

While not a studio, that meetup was good, by the way, check it out:

BwSDuz1IUAA6piZ.jpg
BwSeh8ZIEAA9aXk.jpg
BwSsKgyCEAEZ878.jpg
A Moog modular with a Minimoog mounted in the middle of it (he assured me he could put it back together again afterwards!), a well-built Oakley system, a sprawling DIY 5U system, a whole lot of Eurorack (we plugged our system's clock out into our neighbour's clock in, which was fun), I think some frac rack, and a Yamaha CS of some variety and a TR-808. Not to mention the pleasant company!

Is it a synth as well or just a sequencer??

Looks cool, hope it sells well for you.

Thanks! It's just a sequencer, with CV, gate and accent outputs, as well as run/stop and clock pulse inputs and outputs. It has no oscillator, filter, attenuator or envelope generator, you have to hook it up to external ones. We're going for the modular / Unix approach of "do one thing, and do it well."

We gave away about 40 business cards last weekend at the meetup the above photo was taken at, and several shops have contacted us, so it looks like our biggest problem might be keeping up with demand, to begin with. The best kind of problem!

Nice - I'm looking at probably getting a modular at some point so its cool that lots of cool people are involved.

Where was that meet? I noticed your Bandcamp say 'Stoke on Trent' - I'm in Cannock just down the road :)

Nice - I'm looking at probably getting a modular at some point so its cool that lots of cool people are involved.

Where was that meet? I noticed your Bandcamp say 'Stoke on Trent' - I'm in Cannock just down the road :)

It was in Leeds. Hopefully there'll be one in Liverpool soon. You can read about upcoming meetups on Muff's and a few relevant Facebook groups if you're interested. From what we saw last weekend, they're a friendly bunch!