IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

Oh wow, that's the nicest cable arrangement I've ever seen. Super clean.

4 hours ago, Silent Member said:

Oh wow, that's the nicest cable arrangement I've ever seen. Super clean.

Thanks!  I took this photo just after putting the studio back together, before using it again...  I've got the two modulars patched up again now, so it's somewhat messy again, heh...

1 hour ago, psn said:

Are those the IKEA shelves made 19" racks?

Nah, they're Canford.  Much nicer than the previous ones I had too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZoeB said:

Nah, they're Canford.  Much nicer than the previous ones I had too.

was gonna say.. they look way nicer than the ikea conversion hacks. i have a couple of the ikea hacked racks which are not in use now and they don't kook nearly as nice as those racks you have. 

1 hour ago, Wunderbar said:

What speaker are those ?

Yamaha HS5s.

18 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

Drum Station or Super Bass Station on the upper right?  I can't tell for sure.

DrumStation, the yellow first revision kind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 10:04 AM, ZoeB said:

Nearly there revamping the studio...

1944074308_2021-06-0310studio.jpg

What did you use to hang your patch cords? I made a wooden rack attempt and it was fugly.

On 6/15/2021 at 4:07 PM, thawkins said:

You might get better bass response if you stuff those monitors in the underwear drawers, seeing as they are halfway down there already anyway.

Also is that a cutting board?

Otherwise nice and neat setup, I hope you get to do that computerless EP.

Sometimes you gotta MacGyver a studio space together ?

On 6/16/2021 at 5:47 AM, kakapo said:

He's going to use it for reverb.  Turn it on and he's also got a leslie speaker emulation.  Put a pair of shoes in and it's a polyrhythmic techno rumble kick.    

I remember NIN used to record drums in the bathroom for reverb. 90s.

On 5/12/2021 at 4:39 AM, thawkins said:

Post pics of the drawer. Not even joking, my biggest respect goes to people who post a pic of their janky cheapo laptop or some small setup that looks like you can't really do much with it until you check out their bandcamp/soundcloud and go "huh I have all this gear and how come my stuff sounds so boring and bad compared to theirs".

IMO you think "yeah when I have a Proper Studio all will be cool", but honestly it never fucking ends. Whatever gear you get, however nice the space is, there is always something missing. It still sucks; highs are too aggressive on your $texas monitors; if you have a view to something nice - people/dogs/birds/trees/the sun will come and make noise and piss you off because you can not concentrate while making music; if you don't have a view, you can't concentrate because you are going insane staring at a dumb wall.

At least that is how I have discovered my brain works - no matter how good I have it, I guarantee I will find a way to make myself think it sucks.

Quarantine motivated me to work on mixtapes again, and I was trapped at my Father’s house when lockdown began, so I had his janky PC and nothing else. That forced me to design an aesthetic around what software was available to me at the time. Once I left, I decided to keep that limitation, and it has forced me to be more improvisational and resourceful. Focusing all your attention on a limited palette, can be more rewarding than losing focus on a million bits of gear or plug-ins. ymmv

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Quarantine motivated me to work on mixtapes again, and I was trapped at my Father’s house when lockdown began, so I had his janky PC and nothing else. That forced me to design an aesthetic around what software was available to me at the time. Once I left, I decided to keep that limitation, and it has forced me to be more improvisational and resourceful. Focusing all your attention on a limited palette, can be more rewarding than losing focus on a million bits of gear or plug-ins. ymmv

Yeah that's the real shit. I have felt it so many times when I am away from my regular setup and there is just a guitar or some weird toy synth or something really minimal, but you can still get into making music on whatever "setup" you have and it's really not half bad even. Feels good when it makes the creative juices flow too.

Then I come back to my regular setup and immediately lose that minimalism feeling again. I think the main reason really is that if I already need to have good monitors, an interface for recording anything acceptably, then it's really easy to lose yourself from that point on and chuck on more and more gear-plugins-whatever.

• Like 1

I also compartmentalize completing songs and playing with gear. If I want to finish shit I just need a laptop and some headphones. If I want to play around with gear, so be it, but usually nothing comes from those sessions.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

I hear Skrillex records his basslines in the bathroom

it's the best way to record the shitting flatulence. 

9 minutes ago, brian trageskin said:

that speaker placement though  :trollface:

oh I know, I know. usually the right speaker is turned more to the left but it's still abysmal, need some speaker legs ? that being said this setup goes harddd, like a small dancefloor at home

Edited by chronical