IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

Guest Chesney

Yeah the comb filters get wild. Watch out when tweaking filters with FX drives as it can step the filters for some reason. I just stay away from the effects all together to be honest.

You'll have plenty of wavetables anyway just not user samples.

it will be are you'll use 16 mod routes, that's insane territory but fun trying it.

The extra loop able envs are really useful too. You could write a full length ambient album with one patch messing with these.

Edited by Chesney

I have both desktop and keyboard. There are many bugs yes but you pick and choose your battles. The insanity of the options far outweigh the bugs. Once you know where they are you just don't go near them when tweaking live and recording. Easy to make it work. It's an amazing synth but a real shame it never really got finished.

Do not load the sample option to the desktop version if you like using the Init patches or random patch generator for ideas. Scrolling through those saved patches made from those will crash it.

There is the bug, though, preventing Blofeld from updating parameters when "overwhelmed" by stuff. You tweak the sounds only to find out it sounds completely different after you press shift + play (to force refresh it) because only then it all got updated properly to the tweaks you did blindly. When that happens, it sucks very much. And it is a shame really because Blofeld's potential motivates you to use everything it offers (only to find out it is not ready for such load).

EDIT: And sometimes a constant MIDI input is enough for Blofeld to be "overwhelmed".

Edited by Jev

Xhw7ZcO.jpg

Just got myself a Blofeld, with the poly aftertouch and super good modulation routing I could really use a proper keyboard-esque input device now. All of the above looks p. amazing, especially the Rise.

Maybe a pressure sensitive pad controller would be neat to play melodic synths on, too, anyone here tried that?

That thing is REALLY pretty. I honestly have no clue what it does or doesn't do (it's a synthesizer obviously, but otherwise I'm ignorant of it entirely) but I'm already lusting for this thing.

Blofeld is great. Besides good Mod Matrix it has 4 Modifier slots with logic functions. Look at this paper for example. Also a good example of usage to get closer to MW1 character.

I sold mine though. Used it a year or so but wanted to buy NL2 Desktop instead (this didn't happened lol).

Blofeld is great. Besides good Mod Matrix it has 4 Modifier slots with logic functions. Look at this paper for example. Also a good example of usage to get closer to MW1 character.

Oh wow, I thought those binary modifiers would be just an on/off affair but this sounds v. neat.

thx jev didn't know about that force refresh thing, I'll try that when it goes wonky on me lol.

Also just found out there's a "unisono #" modifier, so you can determine which parameters are spread out in unison mode.

Edited by th555

Guest Chesney

Very true jev. although that has only happened to me once since it was released. It's true that it's maxed out so it cripples, but in a studio environment you can get around these things if you treat it as a hardware synth and do not overwhelm it with connectivity.

I did use it live once and it randomly scrolled through presets when controlled with the MD. Not sure what that was as it only did it once.

I certainly wouldn't use it live again, which is a shame. Also with the keyboard version I had the awful encoder trouble. Did the fix on all of them but the main Menu diver for scrolling patches still jumps about.

It is riddled of course but if you know them you can avoid them and still use it in amazing ways and there is not a lot like waldorf's stuff out there.

I have been a fan for a long time since getting the pulse. But I tend to use the MWXT more than anything right now.

there's a really nice/comprehensive editor for blofeld if you need one. not free though.

http://www.monstrummedia.com/product/feld/

there's also a less expensive editor that also works in maxforlive if you have it.. works standalone as well

http://filthyfilterz.com/

Edited by ignatius

There is a problem with encoders in the free editor though. Some of them have insufficient resolution. You can't set start phase of LFO's in less than 2 degrees steps. Sucks but you can alway set the param on the Blofeld itself.

nice foliage data.

Also, i wonder how many cleaning products this thread has shifted, "gotta clean this place up for my watmm studio pics debut". I suspect data's joint is pretty tidy all the time though, his music is so organised.

hehe, i bought the table in the second pic just yesterday. before that, all of the stuff in the second pic was crammed onto the desk in first pic.

yek - ESI near 05. i've had them for ages ..planning on upgrading but haven't gotten around to it yet.

how much did that mic cost you and do you recommend it, i need to get around to buying a mic, can't keep uploading random practice jam idea snippets off my phone forever (actually i deleted them all off sound cloud), gotta step up and some dudes on here said i should get a condenser mic and when i looked up what they do, it seemed like a reasonable suggestion. Last mic i had was an sm57, i think i've still got it around somewhere, but it's not the best.

that mic (JJLabs, swedish brand) is over 10 years old and is probably not being made anymore. can't remember how much it cost but it's definitely nothing fancy. does the job though. even a cheap condenser mic is definitely better for recording stuff than your phone.

After all my critique I have written about gear in general, I am currently experiencing a creative spark with JJOSed MPC 1000 and Blofeld. I commit every idea to WAV using Sony PCM D50 (because I have no license for the JJOS that supports patterns and better step sequencing). It forces me to move forward and discard any questionable ideas. I will edit the stuff in a DAW later. Will see what will come of it. Thanks WATMM.

Edited by Jev

After all my critique I have written about gear in general, I am currently experiencing a creative spark with JJOSed MPC 1000 and Blofeld. I commit every idea to WAV using Sony PCM D50 (because I have no license for the JJOS that supports patterns and better step sequencing). It forces me to move forward and discard any questionable ideas. I will edit the stuff in a DAW later. Will see what will come of it. Thanks WATMM.

Glad to see you're having fun with gear. It's a shame to see people limiting themselves because of silly ideas that one way or the other is the only way things should be done.

Glad to see you're having fun with gear. It's a shame to see people limiting themselves because of silly ideas that one way or the other is the only way things should be done.

I have not been thinking like that ("It's a shame to see people limiting themselves because of silly ideas that one way or the other is the only way things should be done.").

It is just that very often I was against the wall of creativity-limiting limitations while using HW. With vanilla firmware, I would not be able to use MPC at all. It sucked so much.

But I see myself transferring the workflow I have enjoyed on MPC JJOS today to PC soon (step sequencing workflow). After that it will be one less reason to go back to HW again. I will probably just program it in PD in a similar fashion. Will see.

Does anybody know any VST step sequencer which allows time offset of individual steps and is MIDI-map-able? I am trying to find one but without luck. I would love to move individual steps by just moving knobs.