IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

Guest bitroast

what kind of gear do you see here?

SH 101, NORD MODULAR, JUPITER ... what else?

i'll tell you what i DONT see. a big fat mess of cables everywhere. :catrage:

i'm outraged / how do you do it ?

VSjw9xe.jpg

Elektron Analog Keys, obv

Are those API channels?

I can't tell what any of that rack stuff is

Ah missed the analog keys thx

studio_2016.jpg

this is basically my dream set-up and it took me over a year to complete through trial and error. which isn't that long but i went through, like, 30 different machines, constantly buying and selling.

hardest part was buying a cheap multiple outs analog mixer, so that i wouldn't have to go directly into the soundcard.

Edited by kinski

VSjw9xe.jpg

Elektron Analog Keys, obv

Are those API channels?

I can't tell what any of that rack stuff is

Ah missed the analog keys thx

I don't know why i thought it was the Analog Keys

it's an Akai midi keyboard (as someone corrected me above)

Guest Chesney

Nice setups the pair of you. I'd love to have a blast on a JP8, one of the biggies i'll never be able to own.

How is the SSL X mixer treating you?

...it took me over a year to complete through trial and error. which isn't that long but i went through, like, 30 different machines, constantly buying and selling.

Wow. I wouldn't have energy for that.

I love microscopic details and brutal honesty when making music because it pushes me to try harder. And knowing the balance between nitpicking and not caring at all is part of the work imo. The test is to play music you adore on your detailed speakers and try find something to nitpick. If there is nothing to nitpick it is your level of production to aspire to. At least that is what I do. If "they" can do it, I can do it too (hopefully, even if it takes me my whole life lol).

What is it in your opinion that causes your speakers to be so "microscopic"? Speed? Mid-centric response? Too much highs?

A mix of what you're suggesting: phenomenal transient response, fantastic mids and highs, and the relative lack of lows is compensated by their accuracy right from 60Hz... so even if a kick doesn't make the Earth shake on those, I've never got the kick/bass relation wrong on those.

They're absolutely stunning for sound-design... but when mixing they might sometimes convey so much information that you (well, I) get distracted by all those details. But I know that it's also a matter of fluctuating confidence in my own work, absurdly high expectations and a difficulty to let things go rather than real proper audio related skills. A whole different topic.

It's all so subjective really.

I can pick stuffs to nitpick on music I adore (I listen to everything on those). But I don't care much then, these are not my tunes and I can't change anything to them. Agreeing with your whole post anyway.

I love the K702 but they can be misleading and confusing for production duties.

Can you elaborate what confuses you? I own K701 and love them for most of the work (I am cross checking with my Focal speakers, notebook speakers, and variety of low-end headphones to get the best perspective). I love how intolerant they are to badly mixed material.

Actually I'm perfectly fine with those, but I've heard/read many times that their highs are too precise (some would say hyped), and if not used to them mixes can sound darker than expected. I can totally get that.

Which Focals do you own? Never been that much into the sound of the CMS ones, but loved the SM9s.

I love microscopic details and brutal honesty when making music because it pushes me to try harder. And knowing the balance between nitpicking and not caring at all is part of the work imo. The test is to play music you adore on your detailed speakers and try find something to nitpick. If there is nothing to nitpick it is your level of production to aspire to. At least that is what I do. If "they" can do it, I can do it too (hopefully, even if it takes me my whole life lol).

What is it in your opinion that causes your speakers to be so "microscopic"? Speed? Mid-centric response? Too much highs?

A mix of what you're suggesting: phenomenal transient response, fantastic mids and highs, and the relative lack of lows is compensated by their accuracy right from 60Hz... so even if a kick doesn't make the Earth shake on those, I've never got the kick/bass relation wrong on those.

They're absolutely stunning for sound-design... but when mixing they might sometimes convey so much information that you (well, I) get distracted by all those details. But I know that it's also a matter of fluctuating confidence in my own work, absurdly high expectations and a difficulty to let things go rather than real proper audio related skills. A whole different topic.

It's all so subjective really.

I can pick stuffs to nitpick on music I adore (I listen to everything on those). But I don't care much then, these are not my tunes and I can't change anything to them. Agreeing with your whole post anyway.

I love the K702 but they can be misleading and confusing for production duties.

Can you elaborate what confuses you? I own K701 and love them for most of the work (I am cross checking with my Focal speakers, notebook speakers, and variety of low-end headphones to get the best perspective). I love how intolerant they are to badly mixed material.

Actually I'm perfectly fine with those, but I've heard/read many times that their highs are too precise (some would say hyped), and if not used to them mixes can sound darker than expected. I can totally get that.

Which Focals do you own? Never been that much into the sound of the CMS ones, but loved the SM9s.

I see.

I have a pair of CMS 40s.

They are not spectacular (a bit boomy around 100 Hz to my taste) but I needed something portable and I use them only for level balancing and panning, overall tonality checks and mono-related stuff. For critical work I use K701 (EQ, microdynamics etc.) and check on Focals, notebook speakers and cheap headphones regularly.

Guest bitroast

...it took me over a year to complete through trial and error. which isn't that long but i went through, like, 30 different machines, constantly buying and selling.

oh man. "over a year" doesn't sound too bad!!! nice work man

I would be nervous about re-selling those stuff. Definitely a nice work.

I would be nervous about re-selling those stuff. Definitely a nice work.

thanks. it was kinda fun, but also frustrating because i was always so close, yet also kinda far.

most expensive synth i had was a roland mc202, which was fairly disappointing for the inflated nostalgia price (the cv/gate latency was just unbearable sometimes), althought i do miss the amazing melodic filter. other than that - i kept the prices rather low, and usually knew pretty much off the bat if the synths gonna work. i ain't no collector so if it didn't fit it had to go. i basically made an initila investment of about 400 quid and kept selling and buying until it was done. kinda like the paperclip for a house thing.

It's nice to look through this thread and get ideas for my next setup. I'm downgrading to a smaller room, so I'm going to have to get creative.