IGNORED

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Guest absolu

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pretty good after a few listens, I always wondered where Nude came from, I remember hearing it live a long time ago. What took them so long?

i keep thinking of an extremely gay analogy that probably only wattem would understand;

in rainbows is to radiohead what the campfire headphase is to boc, if we say that ok computer is like mhtrtc (generally the most popular and influential album), kid a is like geogaddi (darker, more experimental, somewhat less popular, but equally good), and then if we skip over amnesiac/httt: the campfire headphase and in rainbows both came after too long of a wait; both are slightly random in their tracklisting and don't flow like proper albums; both have a weak handful of tracks just before the end; both don't really break any new ground for the band; and yet both have a few really really good tracks that make the album worth buying

it reminds me of the beatles' let it be: a nice record, but tame, stripped-down; less interesting than the band's previous departures but still very well-crafted, with a few great songs and some filler moments.

Guest catsonearth

after many many listens, i've decided that this album definitely suffers from the amnesiac syndrome. a few really great songs and a lot of 'what were you thinking?' moments. its better than amnesiac, but there are some songs on here that i just can't understand. with such a large back catalog of great unreleased songs, i just can't fathom why they'd release some of these tracks. the album sounds like a logical progression from httt, but the songs on httt were much stronger all around.

15 steps and bodysnatchers are both awesome. great start. nude is disappointing. doesn't live up to the song's potential at all. shit, i even like my own cover from a few years ago more than this version and i can't even sing! weird fishes is a good one, but after this is where the album really starts to get shaky. videotape is incredibly annoying as is house of cards. all i need is alright, but not really up to scratch.

all in all, i think its a decent release, but i'm a bit disappointed with the song selection. some of these songs i've been waiting for recorded versions of for years and they just don't hold up. i'm definitely a fan of the sound though (much more raw, low budget, self produced sound...i hope they keep up this kind of thing and keep releasing stuff on their own on a regular basis). some of the songs may grow on me as time passes, but i dunno...a few are just annoying and grate on my nerves. i'd like to hear the second disk though. some good tracks on there, hopefully they're not butchered.

radiohead album ranking, according to me:

ok computer

kid a / hail to the thief (tied)

bends-ok computer era b-sides

the bends

in rainbows

amnesiac

pablo honey

i like it more with each listen

a lot of people seem to be confusing mellowing out and laying into a groove in the middle with sagging. the middle section of the album is very laid back and in some places sad, but it certainly doesn't sag imo. i love this album.

...videotape which is really boring, like a pyramid song b-side...

If you ask me, Kinetic, Amazing Sounds of Orgy and Transatlantic Drawl are the best songs they've ever done. I thought the b-sides to amnesiac were better than amnesiac... Fog is awesome too

radiohead album ranking, according to me:

ok computer

kid a / hail to the thief (tied)

bends-ok computer era b-sides

the bends

in rainbows

amnesiac

pablo honey

i completely agree with what you said about in rainbows ... though i think i'd rank the albums more like

ok computer + b-sides

kid a

in rainbows

the bends

httt

amnesiac

pablo honey

the great tracks on 'in rainbows' are good enough that i think it pushes it into 3rd place

Guest Deep Fried Everything
Awwww... :sick:. That review is complete rubbish, too.

in that, you might say, it's a return to form for the Pitchfork reviewing staff!

nyuk nyuk nyuk

Guest awkward
just not the radiohead i want to hear. boring.

zzzz totally...this album is dull as a butter knife.

hhm i was refering to just the first two tracks.

i love how catsonearth says the exact opposite to what i said.

Kid A

OK Computer

Amnesiac

In Rainbows

The Bends

Hail To the Thief

Pablo Honey

I dunno though, after Ok Computer and Kid A, I really only like a song here and there from the other albums. Don't really like any other of the albums as a whole.

cant bother to sift through what all the pundit chin strokers are saying but this album is really fucking nice, i could put house of cards on repeat for a week. and the rest of it too, why not. top shit. i'm really glad that radiohead are not in my top 5 bands so i dont have any expectations and dont have to worry about what's coming out and i dont listen to bootleg spoilers 2 years in advance. but this record is refreshing to hear, to be certain. best one i've gotten for 2 bucks anyway. i might order the disc box because i like collecting nice records and packages.

House of Cards has to be the dullest Radiohead song ever! Dull dull dull, it justs drifts along and doesn't warrant it's length, let alone inclusion on the album at all.

All I Need, Jigsaw Falling Into Place, Videotape, Bodysnatchers are all up there with their best work... the rest I feel a little 'meh' about. Faust Arp is good in a Beatlesy way I suppose.

Guest awkward
"catchiest"

is that a dig at my lack of coolness

no it is what it is. its the song i'm singing after the album finishes. one of my favorites

Archived