IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

currently reading thomas ligotti's The Conspiracy against the Human Race: A Contrivance of Horror" and loving it. it's darkly funny at just the right times and i've lol'd while reading it but it's also super dark at times if i think too hard. 

https://www.amazon.com/Conspiracy-against-Human-Race-Contrivance/dp/0143133144/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6ZN5ZFY361177J38KN1P

here's a snippet i posted to instagram. 

oh, a while back i read another Nikola Barker book.. "wide open" and liked it a lot. i just like her style a lot and  so far just enjoy whatever story she's telling. i loved Darkmans.. should read that again when i can. 

Edited by ignatius

Room to Dream

This is enticing!

I'm reading the fathermucking Bible because I never read the whole thing. I'm at Judges.

Deuteronomy had an interesting bit with God talking through a donkey. A lot of brutal genocidal battles commanded by God himself. Also a lot of really boring bureaucratic distribution of spoils and territory to a bunch of two dimensional characters who you know absolutely nothing about.

Joshua is pretty much the same as Deuteronomy except with Joshua as the conduit to God instead of Moses. There was a decent spy action sequence involving a prostitute and the city of Jericho though. Generally, Old Testament God is a MASSIVE asshole if you're not an Israelite. And he keeps reminding everyone about how he saved their asses in Egypt every third paragraph.

I'm reading the fathermucking Bible because I never read the whole thing. I'm at Judges.

Judges is my favorite; it's like Bible superheroes. Essentially: the Jews are being naughty, God has some guy do some magic to set them straight, they behave for a while, but later start acting up again, so God… tries the same trick a dozen more times? Yeah okay, that's cool, God. You do you.

Judges is my favorite; it's like Bible superheroes. Essentially: the Jews are being naughty, God has some guy do some magic to set them straight, they behave for a while, but later start acting up again, so God… tries the same trick a dozen more times? Yeah okay, that's cool, God. You do you.

Repetition is so common in these stories. It makes it a slog to read for the few interesting bits.

• 2 weeks later...

Grateful Dead Gear - Blair Jackson.

you don't have to enjoy the band to get a kick out of the way the author profiles developments in equipment, electronics, recording & PA's that moved live performance sound work forward light years. Whole instruments get biographies, the maker/brand origins nerd spaz is worth the ride, recording evolutions, good section on MIDI & new software, the counter-cultural freak show is left well in the background.

Mirror of the Marvelous - Pierre Mabille

the surrealists on myth is lush brain jizz, beardy mumblings crew alert & excellent brexit-bs poultice

i've a question for anyone into mark fisher's stuff: i want to read his Capitalist Realism book - is it collected in the 900-ish pages long "k-punk" volume? or is it a standalone book?

No, it isn't included. k-punk is a collection of his blog posts and while some of them were later reworked into what became Capitalist Realism, the latter is a lot more refined. Go for that if you haven't read any of his work. 

• 2 weeks later...

Borges_2.jpg

Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges. For years his writing has seemed right up my alley, but I always got turned off by the endless barrage of details and names. While I still find the prose a bit of a clunky read, it could very well be a translation issue. Nevertheless, "The Library of Babel" is one of the greatest short stories and concepts I have ever read. Recommended for that one alone.

interviews-with-Francis-Bacon.jpg

Interviews with Francis Bacon. This had some really fascinating insights into the artist. There is a moment where he claims he wanted to paint a mouth full of teeth as beautifully as others can a sunset.

41CbAYuvmsL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Speak, Memory by Vladimir Nabokov. While I don't 100% love any of his books, the perfectly crafted writing aways leaves me impressed. As far as autobiographies go, this one did something unique by recollecting seemingly unimportant impressions and moments from childhood.

Borges_2.jpg

Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges. For years his writing has seemed right up my alley, but I always got turned off by the endless barrage of details and names.

weird, Borges is one of the most straight to the point writers there are. Maybe it's just one particular story that sticks in your mind or something

I'm reading 'Patria', the de facto book of the year here in spain, sold a gorillion copies. A story about two families and basque separatist terrorism. As expected, it's pretty shit

Edited by span

Was worn out after reading the fascinating and disturbing, but grinding of Helter Skelter (how many Christian names, surnames, various nicknames of people involved depending on who's being quoted or reported by whom wtf)

Pulled myself out of limbo by reading Killing Floor by Lee Child, just enjoyed the book tbh, took me 4 days to finish. I've got access to borrow the whole collection so I'll think I'll read a few more.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not reading this (yet) but I will probably have to at some point. Always been intrigued by this guy's art, and it sounds like this book is, basically, something pulled out of my dreamworld. 

I'm not reading this (yet) but I will probably have to at some point. Always been intrigued by this guy's art, and it sounds like this book is, basically, something pulled out of my dreamworld.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sRKEgyZgW8

Damn. I should get this, always dug his work.

You're right, it's something coming straight from what I imagined as a kid when reading synopses of sci fi films I wasn't allowed to watch in TV guides.

I also saw that there's some video game to be released soon that basically steals his style. Sad.

5067570.jpg

The Gertrud character is an inspiration of mine. This book's take is quite different than mine on the decisions and fates of the character but I still like the book. It's an interesting background on Dreyer's meticulous research practices and his interest in trying to get past an author's own potential biases in an biographical take on a subject and trying to find more direct evidence of behavior from the subject themselves.

image.jpg

Just finished this and absolutely loved it. Easily the most interesting take on first contact I've read, although completely depressing. Brilliantly illustrates how quickly things could go wrong when entering a completely alien situation with an anthropocentric mindset. Loads of interesting detours on AI, reanimation, the nature of scientific progress etc, as well. This is only the second Lem I've read after Solaris but I'm completely hooked on his work now. Anyone else read this?

no, but you've sold me on it with the concepts

The Incal - re-reading/visually absorbing. Pure distilled joy.

The Tain - crimbo present of a different translation to the version i had as a kid visiting family in Armagh. Anarchic, surreal, utterly baffling at times & echoes of human mannerisms that transcend the centuries. That the whole farce starts as a "pillow-talk" matrimonial row, the outlandish feats by "your man" Cu Chulainn, the mnemonic maps of the Irish landscape & location name biographies, underpinned by a succinct & thorough interpretative intro that i wish i'd accessed earlier in life.

41vrA1F-ccL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

You're right, it's something coming straight from what I imagined as a kid when reading synopses of sci fi films I wasn't allowed to watch in TV guides.

I also saw that there's some video game to be released soon that basically steals his style. Sad.

Yeah, heard the same thing (about the video game). Which is shitty shit shit - dude's stuff is so very unique/particular. . . and incredibly well done. Already decided that I'm going to ask for this for my birthday, pretty stoked. . . 

image.jpg

Just finished this and absolutely loved it. Easily the most interesting take on first contact I've read, although completely depressing. Brilliantly illustrates how quickly things could go wrong when entering a completely alien situation with an anthropocentric mindset. Loads of interesting detours on AI, reanimation, the nature of scientific progress etc, as well. This is only the second Lem I've read after Solaris but I'm completely hooked on his work now. Anyone else read this?

Yes, it's great alright. You should read The Futurological Congress next, has a cool thing where governments bomb each other with hallucinogenic weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sRKEgyZgW8

Yeah, heard the same thing (about the video game). Which is shitty shit shit - dude's stuff is so very unique/particular. . . and incredibly well done. Already decided that I'm going to ask for this for my birthday, pretty stoked. . .

Thanks for this recommendation. This is phenomenal.

Thanks for this recommendation. This is phenomenal.

:beer: 

james bridle - new dark age

it's an interesting collection of anecdotes that illustrate how unsubstantiated our conception of technology, the internet and our place in the world is. it's about how 'big data' isn't resulting in 'big understanding' and actually swamping us with more information than we can effectively use. the internet as an out of control hyperobject of our own creation extending its tendrils into every facet of our reality. good tonic against techno-utopian jagoffs.

ordered David Keenan's (of England's Hidden Reverse) "For the Good Times" after a few decent reviews this week

Cyprus Avenue did a supreme job skewering the psychopathology of Orange loyalism & hoping this does a similar high quality take on my own tribe's Provo inclinations

nearing the end of John Varley's Gaea trilogy..

tumblr_m4gu2u6KVP1qgr1oxo1_500.jpg

scifi. these got pretty good as they went on! some unexpected directions.. lots of centaur sex.. quite reminding me of Terry Pratchett's stuff in some ways, though these are much less explicitly humourous..

The Tain

The Tain! The Penguin edition is the only one I've read. What's the other you mention, & would you recommend it?

I gave up on Book of the New Sun shortly into #3. Nothin doin. Read a bunch of Yeats prose after that. Tldr: ghosts & spirits are maybe real, but faeries are ABSOLUTELY among us, hide ya kids, hide ya wife.

Thought I knew what was up next, but now I wanna hunt down the Lem with the hallucinogenic bombs