IGNORED

What video games are you currently playing?

Rubin Farr

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I returned to Braid to see if I was in a better mood for it and I sure was. Some of the puzzles are absolutely insane and very well planned, but every now and then there are some puzzle solutions that seem so absurd that you start to wonder if you solved it the way it was meant by the developer.

I also started on Dead Space again last night. All this talk about it in this thread made me want to play it again. It's been around two years since I last played it but it still holds up. Not as scary as I remembered but still scary enough.

played pb winterbottom on a friends xbox but it's not on the PSN! batsrdas!

very braid like

this game is great fun, and really original. it looks great and the soundtrack is the tits too!

best indie game i've played since braid really. also reminescent of portal in ways

and also the bitmap brothers classic magic pockets, for me anyway. which is a good thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDxX3AQHogk

definitely scratches that itch for really messed up 2d platform/puzzle games that hasn't been properly scratched since braid.

very braid like

this game is great fun, and really original. it looks great and the soundtrack is the tits too!

best indie game i've played since braid really. also reminescent of portal in ways

and also the bitmap brothers classic magic pockets, for me anyway. which is a good thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDxX3AQHogk

definitely scratches that itch for really messed up 2d platform/puzzle games that hasn't been properly scratched since braid.

Whoa! That game looks insane! Cheers! Checking it out for sure.

very braid like

which pixeljunk game should i start with? i'm thinking shooter

Shooter

Eden

Monsters

All of them. Except Racers, which is a love/hate affair with most people.

Yay, I finished Braid.

What did you think!? All the Braid talk made me play it again, it's definitely in my top 3 all time best games - just a sublime piece of art.

Yay, I finished Braid.

What did you think!? All the Braid talk made me play it again, it's definitely in my top 3 all time best games - just a sublime piece of art.

I loved it. Some of the puzzles were extremely frustrating though, but most of the time it turned out that you just had to start over and see if there were any platforms moving around that could get stuck due to all the time travelling.

lost.jpg

I love how the story got turned upside down at the very last level which is all thanks to some of the best level designs in a looong time. But suddenly everything made sense in a whole different way ...

It's very rare that I go "Ahaaa!" while playing a game, but when it turned out that it was actually Tim who was hunting the Princess I was really... no, extremely surprised! I was pretty sure when I started playing the game that the story line was going to be very naive, because the way the text in the books were phrased made it seem as if it was supposed to be almost like a childrens book.

Then I started reading articles about the game and then all of a sudden people were talking about nuclear bombs, the Manhattan Project, and so on. To be honest, I had not thought of it like that, but it makes sense when you see the burning buildings in the background once you finish the game - or start a new one.

Yay, I finished Braid.

I loved it. Some of the puzzles were extremely frustrating though, but most of the time it turned out that you just had to start over and see if there were any platforms moving around that could get stuck due to all the time travelling.

lost.jpg

I love how the story got turned upside down at the very last level which is all thanks to some of the best level designs in a looong time. But suddenly everything made sense in a whole different way ...

It's very rare that I go "Ahaaa!" while playing a game, but when it turned out that it was actually Tim who was hunting the Princess I was really... no, extremely surprised! I was pretty sure when I started playing the game that the story line was going to be very naive, because the way the text in the books were phrased made it seem as if it was supposed to be almost like a childrens book.

Then I started reading articles about the game and then all of a sudden people were talking about nuclear bombs, the Manhattan Project, and so on. To be honest, I had not thought of it like that, but it makes sense when you see the burning buildings in the background once you finish the game - or start a new one.

Hell yeah, it's one of the most inventive ways of telling a story that I've seen. You're right, the ending is awesome.

I knew there was a nuclear subtext because I recognised how the story started twisting at the end with that quote "Now we're all sons of bitches" - which if I recall was said by one of the scientists right after they tested the first atom bomb.

Also as a side note I really loved the way it played with the Mario theme - specifically the bit where the dinosaur says "Actually, I've never seen your princess, are you sure she exists?" It kind of added a heartbreaking tinge to the love loss story.

I could babble on about Braid forever to be honest. Might be worth mentioning that there's still more of the game if you like it enough to really dig deep. On the title screen you can see a constellation in the sky, each one of these starts can be collected. But really, finding them without a guide is near enough fucking impossible - I haven't started collecting them yet but it changes the ending a bit if you get them all. I know a hint to getting one of them...

on the level where you have to use the jigsaw pieces as a bridge, there's a cloud that appears to not be moving on the far right of the level. It actually is moving, just extremely slow. It takes about an hour and a half to get where you want to be. You get the star by using that somehow.

I'm keeping an eye on Jonathan Blow's next game The Witness, I'm interested in game design anyway so the blog is good reading. If he's anywhere near as inspired with this game as he was with Braid then it should be amazing.

http://the-witness.net/

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

bought shooter and enjoying the 2 player same screen play very much

still annoyed no pb winterbottom on ps3 :(

Guest HerculesCzar

Just finished playing Earthbound. Easily one of the best games I've ever played and I think the only JRPG I've had the patience to see through to the end. Really brilliant.

Does anyone know where I can find a good translated ROM of Mother 3?

I picked up Demon's Souls last weekend...

HOLY FUCKING SHIT THIS IS AWESOME

Gah! Don't tell me that! I'm trying to finish all the games I currently have!

Just finished playing Earthbound. Easily one of the best games I've ever played and I think the only JRPG I've had the patience to see through to the end. Really brilliant.

Does anyone know where I can find a good translated ROM of Mother 3?

Erm, the Internets?

Guest HerculesCzar

Erm, the Internets?

Derp. Well, every one I've downloaded so far has been in Japanese, otherwise I wouldn't be asking.

Dante's Inferno, is pretty fucking fun. I like it more than God of War 3, better combat system and cooler demons. Looking to try Heavy Rain or Red Dead Redemption next

Dante's Inferno, is pretty fucking fun. I like it more than God of War 3, better combat system and cooler demons. Looking to try Heavy Rain or Red Dead Redemption next

I would rent heavy rain rather than buy it. Its definitely a cool experience on the first couple playthroughs, but its kind of one-tracked and more of a "show your friends" kind of game, not something I really have a desire to keep playing.

I would rent heavy rain rather than buy it. Its definitely a cool experience on the first couple playthroughs, but its kind of one-tracked and more of a "show your friends" kind of game, not something I really have a desire to keep playing.

yeah, i figured that after playing the demo... i'll probably stick to renting it, RDR looks worth the buy though

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I had a lot of trouble trying to install braid on PC without steam a while back and gave up sorry sneaks

Archived