IGNORED

What video games are you currently playing?

Rubin Farr

Guest analogue wings

yeah the mass effects are not quite rpg enough for me either

it looks like an rpg - hey seem to have built all the bits an rpg needs - you can go to shops and carry items and buy stuff and find stuff...

buuuut its actually just your guns and armour

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah the mass effects are not quite rpg enough for me either

it looks like an rpg - hey seem to have built all the bits an rpg needs - you can go to shops and carry items and buy stuff and find stuff...

buuuut its actually just your guns and armour

Removing all the micro managing from Mass Effect is the best thing BioWare has ever done. Apperantly they're doing the same with Dragon Age 2. It's not that I don't like micro managing but I think the more streamlined RPG really benefited the Mass Effect universe

I just beat Dead Space.

I'm playing it on hard at the moment. It's impossible! I'm always running out of ammo but now it makes a lot more sense using the slow motion function on the monsters. You can beat the living shit out of them when they're slowed down...

i just finished playing mass effect 2. it was fucking amazing. my only issue was the length. way too short.

yea i loved that game. i dont know if it was too short... took me about 25 hours..

yeah, it took me ~25 hours too, which is too short for an rpg, imo. i mean, after playing beasts like dragon age and oblivion... i was left wanting more.

It's difficult to make time for any gaming, let alone investing 60 hours into a role-playing game.

the implications of your statement are lame. video game developers shouldn't be forced to make concessions in order to cater to more casual players. i think most people that buy rpgs are the type that don't mind investing 60+ hours into a video game, so what are developers accomplishing by trimming the game down? yeah, it becomes more accessible, but i don't think the halo/cod crowd would be into rpgs anyway. too much pressing x to skip through dialogue, not enough boom headshot.

that was a joke.

anyway, it really sickens me when rpgs sacrifice their complexity for the sake of boosting sales. i mean, have you played the original baldur's gate and then played the console versions? that right there shows you how bad it can be. i'm betting that trying to mainstream video games like that just ends up making the sales break even, because most "gamers" will simply shun these bastardizations.

Stop putting words into my mouth, you orange, cheeto-stained basement dweller. I didn't say anything about catering to casual players, but rather implied that the age demographic of gamers has risen to about 35 years old now (citation: http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_EF_2009.pdf) and that the majority of that demographic are most likely to be full-time employees, raising a family and probably have a couple of kids, giving them a very small frame of time to actually sit down and play these games. I been playing RPG's since Pool of Radiance and Bard's Tale and realize that the majority of people who were playing those games at that time period were geeks and kids with lots of time of their hands (hurr), with the games themselves also made by geeks and kids. Now that the demographic has changed, it is completely rational to see why developers are going that route: because they also represent that demographic and understand it as a business. Maybe if that 60+ hours of "complexity" wasn't wasted on grinding, pointless NPC banter, minute long loading screens, unskippable cutscenes and bosses that took half of an afternoon to kill I would be inclined to agree, but most of the time those hours are put into artificially extending the game time (exceptions to Morrowind-like sandbox games, which have their own separate set of problems) to meet a quota they can slap on the box to inflate the value of the product. Using your examples, Baldur's Gate and Fallout were both diamonds in the rough when they came out, as RPG's were in an absolute slump for being too complex with a changing demographic, and were pretty much considered to be as dead as adventure games and space simulators are now.

If you are really adamant about the issue, you should go visit the trolls over at http://www.nma-fallout.com

Guest beeb21

I'm playing the best game ever for the 20th time or sth: baldur's gate 2.

another one i like is psychonauts, which is cute. riven (myst2) has a very cool soundtrack by the way.

Now playing the two best Sega Megadrive (or Genesis) releases :

Flashback.png

and

anotherw.jpg

(love the motto about the creation of the earth :biggrin: )

Eric Chahi is god

anotherw.jpg

Fuck yes!

I remember being completely blown away by the fluid animations. Back then Prince of Persia was the had some of the best animations but then Another World came around and fucked that game up the ass and came all over it.

Guest ansgaria

Not much these days even though I've played the EA Skate games non-stop since the first one came out in 2007. I bought Red Dead Redemption when it came out, loved the fuck out of it, but I now can't even be arsed to put in the disc and finish the damn thing.

Gaming is so boring right now.

Anyone looking for a good portable DS game this summer, check out Dragon Quest IX. Old school Jrpg goodness without the fucking redesign on every game Final Fantasy does. Plus the local multiplayer and wifi downloads are great. Must have for planes, trains or automobiles.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

bought shooter and enjoying the 2 player same screen play very much

enjoying the different suits you can put on. fire,water,inverter etc. just wish the levels were harder/more puzzly . maybe it gets harder as you go along

and were pretty much considered to be as dead as adventure games and space simulators are now.

Well i dont know about "space simluators" since ive never even seen one of those be popular or fun... But adventure games are still alive and well these days with independent developers.

15 years ago I dreamed of playing Command&Conquer. I've been expecting it, at first it didn't work on my slowish pc, but then I sucked satan's cock and his hard cum made my autoexec.bat C&C ready. I loved Command & Conquer. Wow how great a game it's been.

Red alert was still good, then...then it was satan's turn to suck cocks :closedeyes:

i just finished playing mass effect 2. it was fucking amazing. my only issue was the length. way too short.

yea i loved that game. i dont know if it was too short... took me about 25 hours..

yeah, it took me ~25 hours too, which is too short for an rpg, imo. i mean, after playing beasts like dragon age and oblivion... i was left wanting more.

It's difficult to make time for any gaming, let alone investing 60 hours into a role-playing game.

the implications of your statement are lame. video game developers shouldn't be forced to make concessions in order to cater to more casual players. i think most people that buy rpgs are the type that don't mind investing 60+ hours into a video game, so what are developers accomplishing by trimming the game down? yeah, it becomes more accessible, but i don't think the halo/cod crowd would be into rpgs anyway. too much pressing x to skip through dialogue, not enough boom headshot.

that was a joke.

anyway, it really sickens me when rpgs sacrifice their complexity for the sake of boosting sales. i mean, have you played the original baldur's gate and then played the console versions? that right there shows you how bad it can be. i'm betting that trying to mainstream video games like that just ends up making the sales break even, because most "gamers" will simply shun these bastardizations.

Stop putting words into my mouth, you orange, cheeto-stained basement dweller. I didn't say anything about catering to casual players, but rather implied that the age demographic of gamers has risen to about 35 years old now (citation: http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_EF_2009.pdf) and that the majority of that demographic are most likely to be full-time employees, raising a family and probably have a couple of kids, giving them a very small frame of time to actually sit down and play these games. I been playing RPG's since Pool of Radiance and Bard's Tale and realize that the majority of people who were playing those games at that time period were geeks and kids with lots of time of their hands (hurr), with the games themselves also made by geeks and kids. Now that the demographic has changed, it is completely rational to see why developers are going that route: because they also represent that demographic and understand it as a business. Maybe if that 60+ hours of "complexity" wasn't wasted on grinding, pointless NPC banter, minute long loading screens, unskippable cutscenes and bosses that took half of an afternoon to kill I would be inclined to agree, but most of the time those hours are put into artificially extending the game time (exceptions to Morrowind-like sandbox games, which have their own separate set of problems) to meet a quota they can slap on the box to inflate the value of the product. Using your examples, Baldur's Gate and Fallout were both diamonds in the rough when they came out, as RPG's were in an absolute slump for being too complex with a changing demographic, and were pretty much considered to be as dead as adventure games and space simulators are now.

If you are really adamant about the issue, you should go visit the trolls over at http://www.nma-fallout.com

perhaps you should read your pamphlet more thoroughly. did you see what the top selling computer game in 2008 was? world of warcraft, with all its "grinding, pointless NPC banter, minute long loading screens..."

i mean, fuck, cod is one of the most popular console games and i know for a fact that multiplayer takes up waaay more time/money than a decent rpg would, except instead of npc banter, you shoot people for hours to get your rank up. i'm assuming that your assertion that older people have no time for video games is wrong, or at least exaggerated.

anyway, i see the most popular console games are wii sports and the like, which sell 20x more than most computer games anyway. do you see where i'm getting it? no way that "that crowd" is going to even touch an rpg... so why change them so much? why fuck over the fans that love NPC banter, storyline, inventory management, etc? yeah, you could try to get the people that like wii sports to play (for instance) mass effect 2 by dumbing it down, because it's such a huge potential source of profit. but i really doubt that they would be interested at all in controlling a space commander with biotic powers that bangs hermaphrodite aliens and it's a disservice to the people that actually do buy these games for the sake of all those "negative" things you had mentioned. shit, i love npc banter, because i love character development. i'm a fat, hopeless virgin though, so what do i know? maybe when i crawl out of my basement and get a job, i'll stop wasting my time with video games and understand.

Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 is still rocking my PS3

My neighbour gave me a loan of God of War 3 and it's never been out it's box. I should just give him it back and lie about it being brilliant.

Now playing the two best Sega Megadrive (or Genesis) releases :

Flashback.png

and

anotherw.jpg

(love the motto about the creation of the earth :biggrin: )

Eric Chahi is god

i fucking loved those games, by buddy had Flashback for the 3DO and it was the definitive version, i even bought the gold CD-ROM just to have one to preserve for the future.

Anyone looking for a good portable DS game this summer, check out Dragon Quest IX. Old school Jrpg goodness without the fucking redesign on every game Final Fantasy does. Plus the local multiplayer and wifi downloads are great. Must have for planes, trains or automobiles.

I just started a game in Dragon Quest IV. Pretty good so far.

i just got this indie game called Apple jack on XBLA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmjyicJ6_1M&feature=related

http://indiegameschannel.com/wp/2010/07/06/developer-spotlight-tim-sycamore/

its so mellow, deffo try it out for only 80MSP its a bargain!

Archived