IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

touchingvoid_poster.jpg

8 / 10

fucking nuts. got exhausted just from watching it.

I enjoyed it but I feel zero sympathy for these people, if they were kidnapped and put at the top of a mountain I'd care but to willingly put yourself in that situation then possibly die is to be expected.

Them-5/10

French horror/suspense movie.

Had potential to be fantastic, atmosphere and locations were brilliant...but the suspense seemed too forced most of the time. The 8-9 min intro scene is perfect, almost Hitchcock level. But then as it settles down for the main course, there isn't enough time to settle in with the characters, motivations, why they would react the way they did in that situation. Not to mention there are tons and tons of plot holes, and the ending was a bit too contrived.

But overall i am glad that there are still some horror/suspense filmmakers that focus more on the tension before seeing the monster/killer than throwing "BOO!" scares at you. I was so hyped to see Silent Hill when it came out, but it relied less on the suspense that characterizes the game series SO, SO well.

Agh, disappointments. Dunno if anyone has anything to recommend me?

Persepolis - 8/10

Moving animated drama about a girl's journey to adulthood during the Iran Revolution. I first saw this film air late at night on Channel 4 and I remember being amazed at how good it was. Marjane's story is rich with detail, every aspect of her life is portrayed with the greatest sense of direction. The current of empathy that runs through the film is very riveting indeed.

The animation is beautiful. Most scenes are drawn in solid black and white, and the minimal art design seems to bring every detail to life.

Recommended.

was so hyped to see Silent Hill when it came out, but it relied less on the suspense that characterizes the game series SO, SO well.

was never a fan of the game series, but i'd gladly welcome more big budget horror movies like Silent Hill over poorly done supernatural spectacle films like Insidious or the Haunting of Molly Hartley. Yes silent hill was pure spectacle, but jesus christ if the spectacle aspect of it wasn't pretty hard worked on and genuinely good looking CGI work for a horror film.

I enjoyed it but I feel zero sympathy for these people, if they were kidnapped and put at the top of a mountain I'd care but to willingly put yourself in that situation then possibly die is to be expected.

it's interesting to me that extreme sports and this type of mountain climbing is looked at as heroism or bravery but being a heroin addict is not, when essentially you're cheating death on a regular basis to get a 'rush'

was so hyped to see Silent Hill when it came out, but it relied less on the suspense that characterizes the game series SO, SO well.

was never a fan of the game series, but i'd gladly welcome more big budget horror movies like Silent Hill over poorly done supernatural spectacle films like Insidious or the Haunting of Molly Hartley. Yes silent hill was pure spectacle, but jesus christ if the spectacle aspect of it wasn't pretty hard worked on and genuinely good looking CGI work for a horror film.

it's interesting to me that extreme sports and this type of mountain climbing is looked at as heroism or bravery but being a heroin addict is not, when essentially you're cheating death on a regular basis to get a 'rush'

i guess the defense would be it doesn't require nearly as much skill or athleticism?

so i just got back from seeing Drive, wow that was a surprise. I really didnt know what to expect, and i was really into it.

Basically the entire premise of the movie ( i know its based on a book but) seems to be inspired by Kavinsky's (yes the ed banger musician's) aesthetics, the whole zombie driver thing seemed to be a direct inspiration for the Ryan Gosling character. This is even before i read that Kavinsky's tracks were featured on the soundtrack, basically i am convinced that this is not a coincidence and this movie is probably the best thing Ed Banger has ever put out thats not officially by them

it's also refreshing for a movie these days to start out with a bombastically cheesy pop song like this in the intro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7az3_-lvmNk

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

drive :facepalm: /10

Avoid. go see the lion king 3d instead. if it hadn't ended so badly I would have said it was ok. shame as i liked bronson too. don't believe the hype. very boring

C'mon.. Just enjoy Drive for what it is.

drive :facepalm: /10

Avoid. go see the lion king 3d instead. if it hadn't ended so badly I would have said it was ok. shame as i liked bronson too. don't believe the hype. very boring

Maybe the ending wasn't good... but.. the opening scene... WOW..

The Five Obstructions (Lars Von Trier)

LVT has reputation for being an asshole but he's actually such a nice guy, this is a good film about friendship.

for some reason I've watched most of Von Trier's films, but never got around to this one. Great film, great concept! I'm not sure that he's "actually such a nice guy" though, he certainly comes across as a bit of a frustrated and pathetic control freak through this film. But on the other hand, it's a sort of love letter to a guy he admires and seemingly sort of envies too. A father figure for Lars? Anyway, interesting film.

I think Max is trolling as usual, but I also enjoyed the fuck out of 'Drive,' as minimal and yet full as it is, which is a bit chaotic at times, I love the ambience of the whole film. Bryan Cranston kills his performance and now I am a fan of Gosling. The music is amazing as well. I am with you on this Robbie, sorry you didn't enjoy it Awkward. The weakest point was Albert Brooks' performance imo, his comedy career made me not be able to take his seriously. 7.5/10

Guest Coalbucket PI

He's Just Not That Into You

I found this immensely irritating, probably more so than I expected. Not only was everyone in it completely self involved and infuriatingly wealthy and successful and unpleasant, but the whole thing was an aimless ramble tying together however many shitty relationship stories it was by basically cutting between them so as to avoid any single storyline arc that involved more than about 3 interactions and a sort of conclusion, if you could call it that.

yeah, my girlfriend wathced that, intolerable shit, also seen because of her lately; the Women, infuriating, made me (momentarily) hate women.

just watched Submarine, a lot of folks here kind of slagged it but I thought it was alright. I think the watmm range was between 6.5 and 8, I give it around a 7.5. I liked it more than I thought I would. At least I could sit through it, unlike Blue Valentine.

Archived