IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

for some reason I've watched most of Von Trier's films, but never got around to this one. Great film, great concept! I'm not sure that he's "actually such a nice guy" though, he certainly comes across as a bit of a frustrated and pathetic control freak through this film. But on the other hand, it's a sort of love letter to a guy he admires and seemingly sort of envies too. A father figure for Lars? Anyway, interesting film.

I kind of agree with you but IMHO the key to understanding the film is that the Danish director was going through a severe depression and the film is Von Trier's attempt to help him. You might have an idea of how impossibly difficult is to deal with a depressed person, not to mention the fact that when you are the one who's sick you instinctively reject all the advice people give you (i.e. you think they are stupid, they don't 'get it', etc), so now imagine you are a super smart and artistic director guy, it gets geometrically worse. I think this kind of tough love / poking / tricking him into work is actually brilliant and reveals LVT as the teddy bear he really is. What about the game itself? The possibilities are endless, the five obstructions with Autechre, the five obstructions with Kafka = FUN. I read he's working a new version with Scorsese for Taxi Driver.

-

-

-

tumblr_l791z40hvP1qc38ggo1_500.jpg

Stroszek (Werner Herzog)

Outsider musician goes to USA with his prostitute girlfriend to live the American dream. I avoided the movie for years and now I'm afraid I have no words to explain how good it is. I understand why would someone commit suicide after watching Stroszek so approach with caution. Absolute Classic.

Heart of Glass (Werner Herzog)

A pre-communist town is under some sort of spell and prophet dude in the mountains has visions about the end of the world. Super weird and awesome. This is the one where he has most of the cast acting under hypnosis haha.

Rescue Dawn (Werner Herzog)

Feel good story about a heroic US soldier surviving hardship in Laos after trying to bomb people from the sky but it's such a feat to make Patrick Bateman look human and likeable, I just gave up and tried to enjoy it. The non-Herzog parts are hilarious, that forest is so green ...

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hm I didn't know about the Danish dude going through a depression, it wasn't really depicted on film, but the hints are there in hindsight. Still he didn't seem terribly depressed when in front of the camera. I agree with your insight into the depressed mind, having been there myself.

Agree with your review of Stroszek as well, great but very bleak film, and for that reason have only watched it a few times.

So still on the Von Trier tip I tried watching Manderlay....does it get better? Because I had to turn it off after 10 min or so. Absolutely terrible, I felt embarrassed for Von Trier. The girl he hired to replace Nicole Kidman has zero screen presence and the dialogue was cringe-worthy. Someone tell me it gets better....?

I just can never tell if you are being serious Max, perhaps you have cried wolf (trolled) one too many times, or I just don't comprehend what or who you are....

a cute lil girl? or a man dressed in a clown outfit jerking off furiously as he types every word with sweating fervor...

Has data seen 'Drive' yet?

fuck, can't wait to see that reaction....

terri - 8/10 - a very unpretentious and intelligent teen-with-issues dramedy, good acting too, the music was kinda banal though.

the dead - zombies ? in africa ? - good cinematography and gore, the rest is completely unintentional b-movie

i haven't seen drive yet, all i know is im jealous as fuck at college / kavinsky etc who got to be on the soundtrack.

im on the soundtrack for this though lol. sundance here i come.

i haven't seen drive yet, all i know is im jealous as fuck at college / kavinsky etc who got to be on the soundtrack.

The opening tune is fucking fantastic

[youtubehd]FPba6ry2czg[/youtubehd]

The opening tune is fucking fantastic

[youtubehd]FPba6ry2czg[/youtubehd]

Yeah, that track is golden.

Keep us informed about the film Mr Murder. I would like to see it if it contains your amazing jams. Or one of your amazing jams.

And I want a full report after you see Drive, hopefully we haven't hyped it up too much for you.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

I really didn't know what I was getting into with this one, I just saw some clips of Gary Oldman looking tired drinking scotch in a bleak 70s office and thought I want to see it. In many ways it was amazing but I have to say it wasn't very entertaining. The pace is incredibly slow and with no dynamics, and its so subtle you will inevitably miss one important element and and have no idea what is going on for a while. The appearance is great, the whole world feels like a dusty old room, and the fact that it's so slow gives room for Oldman and Mark Strong and Cumberbatch to all do some fantastic stuff. Scene for scene it is tremendous. It could ruin it a bit but I feel as though engineering a little more explaination into a few parts of the story might have made a lot more people enjoy it.

Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind - 8.5/10 - Can't believe I hadn't seen this earlier. Definitely of Miyazaki's best.

Vigilante (1983) - 8/10 - Great 80's exploitation flick. This is kind of like if The Warriors and Dirty Harry had a baby. Great John Carpenter-esque synth score.

Ip Man 2 - 6.5/10 - Some decent action scenes and it wasn't slowed down too much by Ip Man's family stuff like the first film. Too much wire-fu though.

it's a shame there aren't more good movies like Drive getting mainstream marketing campaigns, i was realizing the other day i fall into the trap of only wanting to go see movies for $10 bucks that seem to offer a large spectacle like Planet of the Apes or Inception. With the exception of a few of those films, i feel like i've seen the movie already just by watching the trailer. Drive was a refreshing change from all that. Now i'm going to check out Contagion!

Kill List - The less you know about this one going in the better. The ending will split a lot of people but I loved it, and the build-up and use of sound was fantastic.

Drive: Pretty Good

good cinematography & acting, weird pacing & writing. I liked all the slow parts though. & some pretty good action. Though it made me want to watch Sin City.

Me and my friend finally watched The Human Centipede last night.

[...]

And what was that whole business with the incredibly shitty "German" cops? They looked like two pedos from Vienna and acted even worse than the rest of the cast. Well I think one of them never even said a word anyway.

LOLOLOL: The friend had a tiny roll as an extra for some German movie yesterday and was one of about 50 party guests needed for the scene. One of them was Andreas Leupold, one of the shitty cops from Centipede! There's a shot of the both of them standing at a bar, AHAHAHA. :lol:

I'm just watching whatever films are on iPlayer that are above a certain level of bad. so i just watched fucking Scoop.. i had to resist turning it off for a while but it wasn't that bad really. edit: 4.8/10

Guest viscosity

Rubber and Steak

was expecting less, themes were a bit in your face but overall I enjoyed both of em. Rubber was sort of metatheater.. although the script was a bit iffy I thought. Steak was also good, commenting on superficial body modifications

speaking of Steak i had no idea the really chisled faced tall Chiver guy in that film WAS in reality Kavinsky from Ed Banger records. It's hard to tell if they added makeup to his face to make his cheek bones so ridiculous or if thats how he actually looks in real life

Guest viscosity

saw this one briefly in Enemy of the State on tv,

http://www.celebitchy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/breaking_bad_04_wenn3417312-715x1024.jpg

though it has become almost common that I barely think twice of it, you can see that she has had a bitt much of that botox

very artificial cheekiness, and is a bit comparable to this type of cultural phenomenon

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Top0_xZayDU/TI8GhGUFJ4I/AAAAAAAAD3I/TCuRQEeizyo/s1600/Padaung+Girls.JPG

Archived