IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

28920.jpg

8/10

paul giamatti is such an awesome underappreciated actor.

fuckign hate that cunt

trying to decide whether to see Into the Abyss, Melancholia or Immortals this weekend. i know i know totally different movies. Maybe I'll see all 3.

the solution to the dilema was to see none of them.

did see rango tho. kinda fun.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stalker - very long and slow movie, I really liked the sepia scenes, now I now where Valve got their inspiration for HL2, anyway the movie is very philosophical and you're free to come to your own conclusions, it's certainly a journey for the viewer too. I need to rewatch the ending as I lost interest after a while.

Spoiler: I can't believe they just walked near the nuclear power plant like that, that surely can't be safe, I mean it probably is to some degree but who knows if they dumped some radioactive waste nearby.

whaaaat? You need to rewatch the ending?? That's the part that elevates it to awesome status.

Regarding walking near the reactor, as you may know several of the cast (and Tarkovsky himself) got cancer and died young, most believe it was due to exposure during the filming of Stalker.

AFAIK it wasn't filmed near any nuclear plants, but they did get exposed to something toxic that probably caused their deaths.

the zone was inspired by an area in russia affected by a nuclear accident, but filmed at a location in estonia. (according to imdb)

all of 'Stalker' is based on the novel "Roadside Picnic" by The Brothers Strugatsky: http://en.wikipedia....Roadside_Picnic

In Soviet Rossia, Chernobyl disaster doesn't inspire Moviefilm, Moviefilm inspire Chernoby disasterl!

Stalker - very long and slow movie, I really liked the sepia scenes, now I now where Valve got their inspiration for HL2, anyway the movie is very philosophical and you're free to come to your own conclusions, it's certainly a journey for the viewer too. I need to rewatch the ending as I lost interest after a while.

Spoiler: I can't believe they just walked near the nuclear power plant like that, that surely can't be safe, I mean it probably is to some degree but who knows if they dumped some radioactive waste nearby.

whaaaat? You need to rewatch the ending?? That's the part that elevates it to awesome status.

Regarding walking near the reactor, as you may know several of the cast (and Tarkovsky himself) got cancer and died young, most believe it was due to exposure during the filming of Stalker.

AFAIK it wasn't filmed near any nuclear plants, but they did get exposed to something toxic that probably caused their deaths.

the zone was inspired by an area in russia affected by a nuclear accident, but filmed at a location in estonia. (according to imdb)

all of 'Stalker' is based on the novel "Roadside Picnic" by The Brothers Strugatsky: http://en.wikipedia....Roadside_Picnic

In Soviet Rossia, Chernobyl disaster doesn't inspire Moviefilm, Moviefilm inspire Chernoby disasterl!

regarding being filmed near a nuclear plant, I think you're right that the toxic dust or whatever they were exposed to was not part of the plant, but if I remember correctly in the final sequence (b&w with the family walking near their shitty house) you can see nuclear-style cooling towers in the background? They may not actually be nuclear, but they sure look like it...or else my memory is playing tricks...

regarding being filmed near a nuclear plant, I think you're right that the toxic dust or whatever they were exposed to was not part of the plant, but if I remember correctly in the final sequence (b&w with the family walking near their shitty house) you can see nuclear-style cooling towers in the background? They may not actually be nuclear, but they sure look like it...or else my memory is playing tricks...

from wikipedia:

Many people involved in the film production had untimely deaths, which were attributed to the long, arduous shooting schedule of the film as well as to toxins present at the shooting locations.

Vladimir Sharun recalls:

We were shooting near Tallinn in the area around the small river Jägala with a half-functioning hydroelectric station. Up the river was a chemical plant and it poured out poisonous liquids downstream. There is even this shot in Stalker: snow falling in the summer and white foam floating down the river. In fact it was some horrible poison. Many women in our crew got allergic reactions on their faces. Tarkovsky died from cancer of the right bronchial tube. And Tolya Solonitsyn too. That it was all connected to the location shooting for Stalker became clear to me when Larisa Tarkovskaya died from the same illness in Paris.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Stalker_(film)

nothing nuclear, just chemical

Guest Coalbucket PI

I actually sort of watched Twilight while I was 1/2 - 3/4 cut on Saturday. I kind of imagined that at least the first one would have some sort of charm even if the rest of them were complete shite. It really just lacked any substance though, it seemed like the story could have been described in a paragraph and the lines were stupid and the bleak washed out red lips look was absolutely done to death and I really have no idea what it brings to the table in terms of the vampire concept. I didn't even want to bang the girl and lord knows I did when she was in Into The Wild. I'm not adverse to some trashy films that aren't really marketed to me because a simple film can be satisfying enough, like one or two of the Harry Potters or Footloose or something but I dunno, maybe I was just drunk and I missed all the subtlety.

Killer Elite 7/10 typical jason statham film, say a few lines beat someone up whilst tied to a chair.... pretty fun movie.

our idiot brother 7/10 pretty funny scenes in places, i think paul rudd is a good comedic actor

I actually sort of watched Twilight while I was 1/2 - 3/4 cut on Saturday. I kind of imagined that at least the first one would have some sort of charm even if the rest of them were complete shite. It really just lacked any substance though, it seemed like the story could have been described in a paragraph and the lines were stupid and the bleak washed out red lips look was absolutely done to death and I really have no idea what it brings to the table in terms of the vampire concept. I didn't even want to bang the girl and lord knows I did when she was in Into The Wild. I'm not adverse to some trashy films that aren't really marketed to me because a simple film can be satisfying enough, like one or two of the Harry Potters or Footloose or something but I dunno, maybe I was just drunk and I missed all the subtlety.

I tried watching some rifftrax for Twilight, and it barely improved the experience. Even as a stupid tween Mormon vampire fantasy, it's just an incredibly dull, vapid, tension-free movie. It's a chore to watch in almost any circumstances. You can't even laugh at it, because it just stares back at you, uncomprehending and perhaps constipated:

Bella.jpg

Batman : Year One (animated) - 5/10 i think this one works better as a comic book only. I thought Bryan Cranston doing Commissioner Gordon's voice would carry me through this movie but no, it couldn't hold my attention both times i tried to watch it. It's trying to be very adult, very dry and slow and deliberate. The actions scenes and animation is well done, it's just not that entertaining. It thought the last Batman animated movie the Red Hood was excellent. If i was the one putting money behind another million dollar Batman animated movie, i would focus on something like Knightfall, Hush or one of the other epic Batman stories, even the cheesy one where Robin dies and Joker buys a nuke from Iran. If you want to see a better depiction of Year One brought to film or animation check out Mask of the Phantasm or Batman Begins, this might be more accurate but it's not nearly as good.

Tabloid: lovely bit of fun from Morris. Nothing weighty like his abu ghraib/fog of war works, rather just a completely insane story that needed to be told. Interrotron works wonders for this one, all the interviewees are charming, even the scumbag british tabloiders have some confounding way of winning you over. I would have wanted more about the actual press war that ensued, rather than the cloned puppy. 7.5/10

Frank Miller sucks a bit. I enjoyed this more than you did though but not enough to talk about it on here.

What's your favorite Batman animated movie?

better question... what is your favorite DC universe animated movie, i didn't realize they made so many already

http://en.wikipedia....erman:_Doomsday

i loved Under the Red Hood, Batman:Superman Public Enemies, All-star Superman and Emerald Knights

i was particular impressed with Red Hood, i even got a little emo towards the end when it showed retro robin

Frank Miller sucks a bit. I enjoyed this more than you did though but not enough to talk about it on here.

What's your favorite Batman animated movie?

better question... what is your favorite DC universe animated movie, i didn't realize they made so many already

http://en.wikipedia....erman:_Doomsday

i loved Under the Red Hood, Batman:Superman Public Enemies, All-star Superman and Emerald Knights

i was particular impressed with Red Hood, i even got a little emo towards the end when it showed retro robin

Wonder Woman, GL First Flight and Emerald Knights, JL New Frontiers, All-Star Superman and Under The Red Hood are all pretty nice.

Marvel just can't seem to make any new animated stuff I enjoy besides the 'Hulk vs. Wolverine' shorter film. That is fun. With Deadpool and Lady Deathstrike being authentic and not the bastardizations in 'Wolverine: Origins'.

Was looking forward to the new Green Lantern cgi show on Cartoon Network but I am not liking the animation at all. Very rudimentary, although the story was decent.

30 minutes or less - 6/10

rise of the planet of the apes - 6,5/10

the another earth - 5/10

bellflower - 4/10

elf - 6/10

invincible - 6/10

killer elite - 5/10

our idiot brother - 6/10

the ex - 5/10

the wild blue yonder - 6,5/10

the dark hours - 6/10

the godfather II - 7/10