IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never Let Me Go - 6/10. Beautifully shot, to the point of being distracting in some shots. Had some good content to it, and some very tragic moments. Ultimately I thought it was missing something though. I had a hard time accepting it as more of a pure melodrama in an unconventional setting. I wanted to see more of what was keeping these kids from just taking off instead of accepting their inevitable tragic end.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

lots of films in the cinema right now that I want to see but not enough to spend $30 going.

young adult

descendents

into the abyss

mission impossible4 maybe?

the sitter

some films are just dvd./home films. when they eventually release movies on demand shortly after theatrical release i might pay $5 to see them

Watched Vertigo for the first time today.

Whoa.

For the first half of the film, I wasn't sure what to think of it. At the last shot, my soul felt like it had been kicked in the balls. I can see watching this over the years and taking something different from it each time. I loved Hitchcock before, I mean Rear Window was one of my favorites since I was about twelve. Awesome. But this had so many layers to it.

Hitchcock.

One of my favorite movies to discover in the past year as well. I could go on and on about it but I won't, because I have. I have seen it a couple of times since then but the first time I was just so immersed in it. Reading about it, and some of the innovative cinematography and storytelling is really interesting.

i'm annoyed i missed enter the void in the theatre. our tv is big but on the big screen it would have destroyed me

I remember going out of the cinema after this film. I was with several friends and we were supposed to go to my flat and to drink some beers, every one was staring at his foots on the way to my home, saying not much. I actually felt quite strange.

So eventually they came anyway but didn't stay for long, nobody really wanted to chat and the conversations didn't go too far. Nice memory though lol

Guest ansgaria

Just came back from watching 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' and whilst it is somewhat different from the Swedish adaption of the book, I do very much prefer the American due to a handful of reason. One being the soundtrack which was extremely detailed and fitting (I didn't really expect less from Reznor and Atticus), that combined with the cleaner and more cinematic approach makes a world of difference. While I usually prefer the Scandinavian approach to storytelling and cinematography in films, this is an exception. It's interesting to see how they've twisted the portrayal of both main characters, meaning that the female lead in the Swedish is a complete, not-giving-a-fuck badass, she's more toned down and vulnerable since the male lead here is a lot more stronger yet his flaws and personality is much more laid out on screen before us. I loved it.

tl;dr: It's pretty fucking good.

anyone see the new cronenberg yet? dangerous method

whilst i am interested in those people and enjoy his films the trailer for this leaves me so cold.

trying to decide what to go see tonight. currently leaning towards young adult

watched arthur (2011) last night. not as bad as they said. the ending just throws away any moral/meaning the film had though and russell brand is annoying throughout even after he gets sober, despite thinking hes an interesting intelligent guy in real life

Is the american version of Girl with the dragon tattoo any good? I haven't watched the original yet..so should i watch the original on blu-ray or go watch the american version on theaters.

Is the american version of Girl with the dragon tattoo any good? I haven't watched the original yet..so should i watch the original on blu-ray or go watch the american version on theaters.

i haven't seen the fincher version yet. i'm not rushing to see it. the swedish version is very good. but the 2nd/3rd swedish films are garbage so i hope fincher remakes those into one film

dangerous method looks very oscar baity, that's not necessarily a bad thing. His most Oscar bait film before Eastern promises, Madame Butterfly i thought was excellent

it doesn't even look like cronenberg except viggo is in it. not heard any oscar buzz for it at all either

Just came back from watching 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' and whilst it is somewhat different from the Swedish adaption of the book, I do very much prefer the American due to a handful of reason. One being the soundtrack which was extremely detailed and fitting (I didn't really expect less from Reznor and Atticus), that combined with the cleaner and more cinematic approach makes a world of difference. While I usually prefer the Scandinavian approach to storytelling and cinematography in films, this is an exception. It's interesting to see how they've twisted the portrayal of both main characters, meaning that the female lead in the Swedish is a complete, not-giving-a-fuck badass, she's more toned down and vulnerable since the male lead here is a lot more stronger yet his flaws and personality is much more laid out on screen before us. I loved it.

tl;dr: It's pretty fucking good.

i love that the leads from the original tattoo film are now both throwaway roles in Mission Imp 5 and sherlock holmes

saw young adult and enjoyed it very much. the 2 leads were really good together. it probably isn't a must see in the theater but I recommend it on dvd for sure. it'd be a 7or8/10

anyone see the new cronenberg yet? dangerous method

whilst i am interested in those people and enjoy his films the trailer for this leaves me so cold.

i've seen it, it's pretty bad. pointless and worthless. and keira is just :facepalm:

Guest ruiagnelo

Rise of the planet of the apes - 5/10

Sometimes i am crazy enough to give blockbusters a chance. I got curious about this remake (?), because i have a deep admiration for the original '68 movie, with Charlton Heston, and all the moral/ethical questions which are brought by this theme are always important to consider.

There is not much of importance to extract out of this movie. I found it interesting that in the very end, when the apes are already in the Red Woods, one gets the feeling than it is not clear whether humans or apes are the superior species. Of course one knows the answer from a scientific point of view, but you are forced to consider both possibilities, after everything that happened throughout the movie.

The message one can get from this movie is pretty clear to me: sometimes humans try to force their characteristics to things or beings that aren't meant to be human, and try to control what's naturally uncontrollable. All it takes to understand it is to be on the other side of things. The consequences are, of course, dramatic.

From a technical point of view, this movie isn't impressive and everything feels pretty trivial. The characters are poorly developed; even the apes display a stronger personality on screen. There is no visual metaphor, no poetry. Just the usual popcorn action and tv-like rhythm. Some moments are disgusting, like when the apes leader says something to that guy's ear, in the very end of the movie. Or all the other thousand blockbuster moments that disgust me because they are so cheaply presented, so easily delivering emotions in a pretty package to the dumb spectator. The CGI looks awful, just like Hollywood got us used to. I think the animators have accidentally created apes (even the wild ones) that move like humans, which sounds funny, because in the end, that should have been the idea, but as far as my eyes tell me, it was more like an accident.

I am giving it half of the classification because, you know, movies take an awful lot time and money to make, and some action sequences are actually well executed. Also the Indian actress is hot. I think i remember her from one of Woody Allen's most recent pictures. I can't even classify this as entertainment. But well, what am i talking about? Cinema isn't meant to entertain. It should make you think about something, more about what one is living for, than why one is watching it for.

Archived