IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have no idea why you're all so low scoring punchdrunk love. saw it for the first time recently and loved it. went to the top of my pta ranking. the musicality of it really won me over.

I didn't like Punch Drunk Love mainly because I was so fucking uncomfortable watching it. It also went nowhere story wise. I don't mind when a movie is just being "weird" and answers itself but I never really found a conclusion to any of the plot points (i.e. the piano) And I fucking HATE Adam Sandler's voice.

Punch Drunk Love is simply a worse version of Synecdoche, New York (Same composer so the music is similar)

Guest zaphod

Yeah I dunno about that.

Just watched Melancholia. Von Trier gets more immature and puerile the older he gets.

3 films on our flights to NYC

Margin Call - 7/10 - Decent thriller/financial drama. Does a good job of trying to boil the financial crisis/fire sale down to a specific point with particular people. Kevin Spacey in particular is fantastic, however Jeremy Irons steals it.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 6/10 - I dropped the book half way though, and regretting watching this obviously cut version on the plane, because whilst it was excellent I don't think it was done justice on dodgy headphones and a tiny screen. Might finish off the book and re-watch, I got a bit confused part way through (too many G&Ts)

Moneyball - 8/10 - Loved the book, and the film doesn't disappoint - definitely check it out.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

i have no idea why you're all so low scoring punchdrunk love. saw it for the first time recently and loved it. went to the top of my pta ranking. the musicality of it really won me over.

Punch Drunk Love is simply a worse version of Synecdoche, New York (Same composer so the music is similar)

disagree. synecdouche is a mess of a film.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 6/10 - I dropped the book half way though, and regretting watching this obviously cut version on the plane, because whilst it was excellent I don't think it was done justice on dodgy headphones and a tiny screen. Might finish off the book and re-watch, I got a bit confused part way through (too many G&Ts)

what did they cut? i too saw it on a plane and enjoyed. didnt notice anything obvious missing. also wasn't confused.

disagree. synecdouche is a mess of a film.

what did they cut? i too saw it on a plane and enjoyed. didnt notice anything obvious missing. also wasn't confused.

It seemed like they maybe cut some shooty bits (Hungary at the start in particular, but not the main bit at the end). Like I said I probably wasn't watching it too closely however other critics have said it's hard to follow in places - I'll probably try watching it again.

Guest Mirezzi

I thought Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was mostly superb but a sloppy edit kept it from greatness. In fact, I'm not sure even editing would have saved it. As with Let the Right One In, Tomas Alfredson is the best and worst thing about his films. His direction of actors is almost perfect and I personally love his camera work and visual style. Rarely, it might lean toward pretentious, but I think he's too talented to be accused of pretending. Nonetheless, I think the story needed better punctuation as some of the drama unfolded so methodically that all manner of tension and release was lost. The arc of the story just sort of...unraveled, slowly, as one by one and painstakingly scene by scene it all wraps up.

Don't get me wrong. Overall, I did love it, but more for the sum of its parts and I do think it was a lost opportunity because with much tighter storytelling, it could have been Alfredson's masterpiece. Gary Oldman was just...other-wordly brilliant IMO.

Guest Mirezzi

It seemed like they maybe cut some shooty bits (Hungary at the start in particular, but not the main bit at the end). Like I said I probably wasn't watching it too closely however other critics have said it's hard to follow in places - I'll probably try watching it again.

Oh, I was completely disoriented for the first 30 minutes and it wasn't until Tom Hardy's scenes that I recovered from the dizziness. I think the editor tried in vain to create some energy from scenes that were, frankly, over sculpted by Alfredson.

Just rewatched Inglorious Basterds - I love that Quentin Tarnatino got that many people to watch a film with so many subtitles.

Also it's a damned good film.

benedict - I love punch drunk love. one of my favorites. Don't really get the comparison with Synecdoche, New York to be honest. punch drunk love is a love story, Synecdoche, NY is an existentialist nightmare (and i thought it could have used a bit of editing to tighten it up).

Tinker Tailor Solider Spy was very well done. I thought it would suffer in comparison to the classic BBC series starring Alec Guiness, but it's a great take on the story. Oldman was good, the sense of London in the 70s was very accurate (or so I've been told, as I only had lived in Canada during the 70s lol, and don't remember a lot of them anyways), and it was paced nicely.

monsters - took me by surprise. really enjoyable and well made considering the low budget. i suppose it's more of a love story than a monster movie... and the girl is HOT. stick her in the girls with short hair thread.

immZS6.jpg

Same composer, but other than that nothing as far as I can tell.

I haven’t really contributed to this thread in quite a while and average about a film a night so I’ll post as I recall them…

Marwencol - 8/10 - Another great documentary to surface in the last 2 years. Highly recommend it.

Into the Abyss - 8/10 - Tragic and represented well. A bit refreshing that Herzog was merely an observer like the rest of us, especially with a topic as preachy as capital punishment.

Perfect Sense – better than Contagion/10 – I really enjoyed this… an interesting cocktail of emotions with a fresh take on the apocalyptic theme.

Déjà vu – 5/10 – I like to dip into a DW film every now and again, plus mediocrity helps cleanse the palate. A barely watchable yet entertaining film.

We Need to Talk about Kevin – 7/10 – Loved the soundtrack… all in all, I couldn’t find much I didn’t like about it.

Carnage – 9/10 – One of my favorites in recent memory. Savage and brilliant.

Smoke – 8/10 – Superb writing… sublet and effective direction. Will watch again.

Hunger Games, fucking love that shit! 8/10

read the books first though or it's probably a 6/10 because it packs a lot in and skips a lot of useful details.

Guest bitroast

Into the Abyss - 8/10 - Tragic and represented well. A bit refreshing that Herzog was merely an observer like the rest of us, especially with a topic as preachy as capital punishment.

watched this yesterday. thought it was pretty excellent.

i was kind of expecting it would spend more time and attention to deathrow inmates, but that may have just been an exception on my behalf.

Archived