IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Guest Xenblake

Oh so the grey is bad. That's a shame, i was looking forward to that, tension in the middle of the wilderness, survival action flick

Still gonna give it a go though.

I don't know why people think this is so bad, what were they expecting? It basically does what it says on the box. The only thing I can see dragging this film down a bit is the religious aspect, thankfully the films focus is for the large part on various scenarios of extreme survival and character development it didn't really bother me that much.

Also I preferred it to Frozen (stuck on a ski lift wolf survival action) which while having some pretty scary / intense scenes, quite a few of the situations the characters find themselves in were unrealistic enough to taint the overall enjoyment of the film.

Wolves are dangerous mmmkay

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"the grey"

How the fuck did Liam Neeson go from Oskar Schindler to this piece of sorry trash?

Pretty lateral career move to be honest.

It's actually a parabola if you plot Qui Gon in the middle

he peaked at Darkman

Flol!

Oh so the grey is bad. That's a shame, i was looking forward to that, tension in the middle of the wilderness, survival action flick

Still gonna give it a go though.

I don't know why people think this is so bad, what were they expecting? It basically does what it says on the box. The only thing I can see dragging this film down a bit is the religious aspect, thankfully the films focus is for the large part on various scenarios of extreme survival and character development it didn't really bother me that much.

Also I preferred it to Frozen (stuck on a ski lift wolf survival action) which while having some pretty scary / intense scenes, quite a few of the situations the characters find themselves in were unrealistic enough to taint the overall enjoyment of the film.

Wolves are dangerous mmmkay

I enjoyed The Grey... was exactly what I was expecting.

I enjoyed the shit out of 'The Grey' and it is about "actual" wolfing out, so, that is rad.

'Frozen' is fun. Some tense moments there. A bit more unbelievable than 'The Grey', which also had its over the top scenes.

Survival films are so amazing when they are done well.

I think my favourite "survival, tough guy in the woods" film is 'Jeremiah Johnson'. On par with 'First Blood', of course.

Guest ansgaria

'Synecdoche New York'.

One of the most absurd things I've ever watched. It just kept getting more and more absurd. I literally got all mad about how absurdly confused I was. But I loved it. And I feel awfully weird now. That cliché-ish 'what the fuck is real?' feeling. I think it served its purpose. Kaufman you brilliant bastard.

to eugene: Thanks. I do enjoy Vincent Gallo's acting sometimes. His album 'Recordings of music for Films' is one of my albums that I put on and will be putting on to relax to, for the rest of my days.

'Synecdoche New York'.

One of the most absurd things I've ever watched. It just kept getting more and more absurd. I literally got all mad about how absurdly confused I was. But I loved it. And I feel awfully weird now. That cliché-ish 'what the fuck is real?' feeling. I think it served its purpose. Kaufman you brilliant bastard.

Yes.......meta-films......fourth person pov

eh, i don't see how it was any worse than a serbian film. although i'm sure you'll tell me.

i like bad movies by the way, so when i say i enjoyed something it doesn't necessarily mean it was good.

well I thought a serbian film was pretty bad but it had potential.

They just went a bit too far into "lol" territory (skullfucking?), and the decision to have him reconstruct what had happened to him, rather than live it in real-time, was I think a bad one. I also liked the crazy director dude, Kill List didn't have any character as memorable.

Kill List was pretty tense but my enjoyment was ruined by the fact that it seems a pretty blatant rip-off of a Serbian Film, to the extent that it felt to me like plagiarism. I think I read somewhere that the director said his film was "inspired" by a Serbian Film, which is funny because I don't call "inspired" lifting the entire ending concept. Plus the ending seems tacked on. Yeah, if I hadn't seen ASF I probably would have liked it much more...but then again, I also saw Hot Fuzz so probably would have burst out laughing when the "bad guys" threw back their hoods...

Quick question for those in the know: the whole subgenre of horror films where it turns out "there's a huge conspiracy and all the friendly people we know are in fact part of a sinister cult" - did that start with Rosemary's Baby in 1968? Are there any earlier examples? I tend to like these films, pretty damn creepy. Still haven't seen Wickerman...

Quick question for those in the know: the whole subgenre of horror films where it turns out "there's a huge conspiracy and all the friendly people we know are in fact part of a sinister cult" - did that start with Rosemary's Baby in 1968? Are there any earlier examples? I tend to like these films, pretty damn creepy. Still haven't seen Wickerman...

Invasion of the Body Snatchers was '56 I think, if that counts

Guest viscosity

NEDS is probably one of the best films i've seen. had to turn on subs to understand the heavy scott accent, but was glad i didn't pass it up.

didn't realize until later it was the same guy from Tyrannosaur, which I also enjoyed. going to be checking his other films out, see how they hold up

glad you liked NEDS, I only saw it due to Data's praise way earlier in this thread, so thanks, Data! Yeah, I think if it hadn't been for the miracle of DVD subtitles I probably would have rated the film much lower. To me it's in a similar vein to Animal Kingdom, which I really liked as well.

Guest zaphod

I'll go see the Grey if you guys tell me the wolves win

fake edit: and aren't lying about it

the grey is pretty good, and yes, the wolves win. i don't know what mirezzi and the others are on about. it's not a bad film at all.

Guest zaphod

eh, i don't see how it was any worse than a serbian film. although i'm sure you'll tell me.

i like bad movies by the way, so when i say i enjoyed something it doesn't necessarily mean it was good.

well I thought a serbian film was pretty bad but it had potential.

They just went a bit too far into "lol" territory (skullfucking?), and the decision to have him reconstruct what had happened to him, rather than live it in real-time, was I think a bad one. I also liked the crazy director dude, Kill List didn't have any character as memorable.

Kill List was pretty tense but my enjoyment was ruined by the fact that it seems a pretty blatant rip-off of a Serbian Film, to the extent that it felt to me like plagiarism. I think I read somewhere that the director said his film was "inspired" by a Serbian Film, which is funny because I don't call "inspired" lifting the entire ending concept. Plus the ending seems tacked on. Yeah, if I hadn't seen ASF I probably would have liked it much more...but then again, I also saw Hot Fuzz so probably would have burst out laughing when the "bad guys" threw back their hoods...

that's a perfectly reasonable response. funny though. i saw a serbian film and it never even crossed my mind that the two were similar. the cult thing at the end was tacked on but it seemed more inspired by the wicker man than anything. and i thought the film was well shot, had a nice look to it. i can't say the same for a serbian film, which was garbage.

Guest Mirezzi

Super - Sorry, Cody. I know I made a sentimental film about a Don Quixote-type retard once upon a time, but this takes any sins I committed and amplifies them by 10,000. I couldn't even finish it. With the first 30 minutes, Rainn Wilson attempting to act + a really fucking horrible script was more than I could handle.

Les revenants - They Came Back (2004)..

http://www.rottentom...om/m/revenants/

The lives of the residents of a small French town are changed when thousands of the recently dead inexplicably come back to life and try to integrate themselves into society that has changed for them.

no gore, no blood, some undead though...very original plot..the rest is silence

CLEARLY you need to see Wickerman.

I'm pretty sure that concept predates rosemary's baby but i couldn't say exactly which movie. The original invasion of the body snatchers is pretty much that but not exactly a cult

Les revenants - They Came Back (2004)..

http://www.rottentom...om/m/revenants/

The lives of the residents of a small French town are changed when thousands of the recently dead inexplicably come back to life and try to integrate themselves into society that has changed for them.

no gore, no blood, some undead though...very original plot..the rest is silence

I need to see this.

Fright Night (2011)

I didn't have any expectations for this movie what so ever (well maybe I thought it would be shit) and it turned out to be one of the best vampire films that I've seen. Admittedly, I've never watched the original, though I had a vague idea what it was about.

Any how, yeah, good popcorn flick. Felt 1000x more like a throw back to Monster Squad/80s style monster movies than Super 8 did, without attempting to be retro. I can't really explain why that is, maybe it was just the Hardy Boys style teenage detective/adventure aspect to it.

Archived