IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waltz With Bashir, fucking great documentary from last year about an Israeli veteran trying to remember his experiences in the 82' Lebanon invasion. Very unique format in slow fram animation; lot of surreal imagery but very realistic at the same time. It's brutal as hell though, just FYI. I'd recommend it without any hesitation.

Liked Ponyo, had softer and more simple animation compared to other Miyazaki films, but it was pretty good.

Coraline - It was ok but somehow a bit flat. I've only read one of Neil Gaiman's books, American Gods, and it was also strangely flat. Not sure how much Coraline the film is like the story that inspired it. 7.5/10

The Firm. It was fucking shit. Not a patch on the drama, anyway. Will stick to the books, they cover so much more ground it's unreal.

Might go see Up or Zombieland sometime this week.

Guest abusivegeorge

The Firm. It was fucking shit. Not a patch on the drama, anyway. Will stick to the books, they cover so much more ground it's unreal.

Might go see Up or Zombieland sometime this week.

YOUR HEAD GODAMNIT

Coraline - It was ok but somehow a bit flat. I've only read one of Neil Gaiman's books, American Gods, and it was also strangely flat. Not sure how much Coraline the film is like the story that inspired it. 7.5/10

Hm, I've never seen/read Coraline but I thought American Gods was quite good, as was all the other ones I've read by him but can't remember the name of lol... sorry, shitty post.

ALSO:

Divine Trash - 9/10

Documentary about the life and work of John Waters. Quite entertaining if you're a Waters fan. If not, it would still be at least a LITTLE interesting, if not more so.

Coraline - thanks to my daughter. Kind of meh.

Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel - could have been really good, doesn't really go anywhere.

The Brothers Bloom - decent con man flick although some of the dialogue is godawful. It does have the lovely rinko kikuchi in it though, so that's always nice.

Anvil: The Story of Anvil. One of the better docs I've seen, only let down by the lack of insight the band members seem to have into why they didn't become more popular. I would have liked the interviewer to ask them what they thought of the other bands that made it - Metallica, Slayer, etc - and why they thought they made it. Still a very well-made documentary. 9/10.

Oh yeah lumpenprol's mention of documentary reminded me that i watched "The Fog of War" last week. Really interesting documentary about Robert McNamara.

Guest Al Hounos

yeah, Fog of War was really good.

Time (Shi-gan) - creepy

Samaria - sad

Kite Runner - a good story, told in an extremely nauseating style

Archived