IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

moon - rather good this. wasn't expecting much. didn't know anything about the plot/scenario going into it (which is how i like to watch a film). immediately creates a feeling of the incomprehensibly horrific sadness of being alone in space. interesting parallels between sam and gertie's situations. nicely unpredictable and thoroughly watchable. left me feeling really depressed and empty inside. good times. would recommend - 7.5/10

le donk and scorzayzee - plenty lols. considine starts off brilliantly. he's a funny cunt. at times (the intimate scene in the van with the berni inn reference) he was a bit too Alan Partridge. bursts of uncomfortably crap American accent perfect... i know someone EXACTLY like le donk. scorzayzee great. thought at first he was probably some mate of Meadows playing a shit rapper, but it soon became clear he is a genuinely decent rapper IRL with intelligent lyrics (compared to 99% of mcs... googled him straight after the film.... check his track Great Britain from 2003) the typical Meadows folky soundtrack didn't really work for me on this particular film as opposed to his brilliant use of will oldham / calexico / etc in dead man's shoes. calm down hilda ogden. will probably only appeal to an English audience although international boards of canada fans will no doubt spontaneously ejaculate when Mark Herbert form warpfilms appears in his boc shirt.

The Naked City - 8/10 - An interesting little thriller... I wanted to call it film noir but it isn't for it was too bright, too lively, too warm. This was a film going for realistic documentary-ish look at New York City in the heat of summer and I think it did it quite well for the time.

Guest abusivegeorge

Raging Bull 9/10

What a fucking movie.

Welcome to manhood... now go watch mean streets :)

Seen that one a long time ago :). Love it.

I actually studied Raging Bull and passed an entire unit on it at college for film Studies, but unfortunately, that is all I did "study" it. I never actually watched it, excellent film :).

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

bu01.jpg

10/10

It has a hugely awesome cast, and yet it's pretty obviously a low budget movie, or at least they only had the money for the big opening shot. I don't understand why this is not in the Watmm pantheon along with the Big Lebowski.

to Paul Atreides:

Indeed....

changed my young impressionable life forever.......

multidimensional vehicles rule! :emotawesomepm9:

gravitational manipulation devices!

Explorers!

Monster Squad!

Saturday the 14th!

childhood.....

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

bu01.jpg

10/10

It has a hugely awesome cast, and yet it's pretty obviously a low budget movie, or at least they only had the money for the big opening shot. I don't understand why this is not in the Watmm pantheon along with the Big Lebowski.

excellent film

B000C20VNW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

actually just three short films strung together exploring the underbelly of suburban america. i know, i know, this sort of thing has been done to death but these films really have a true haunting power. the last film, "prologue" still gives me goosebumps. also, some pretty serious gore in the first one, "cutting moments". the second effort, "home", is the weak link in the trilogy but still stands as a solid film. i wholeheartedly recommend netflixing or downloading this dvd.

the blurb from gaspar noe on the covers sums it up - "Buck's films are desperate, dry and cruel as life often is, and movies never are"

Gaspar Noe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7reBJ1_tSa0

Are these leg spreaders film connoisseurs? It's an amazing film if you have never seen anything like it... but from an analytical standpoint it's only half decent. It all depends on the crowd.

Wouldn't call them feinschmeckers, but you know, there will always be those who go: "It's good but it's no Citizen Kane" because they know it'll make them sound like film-intellectuals.

wtf everyone thinks full metal jacket gets bad after the second half? you have to be fucking kidding me. both 'parts' are equally great in my opinion. I tend to like Kubrick's war movies a a shit load, Paths of Glory, Spartacus, Barry Lyndon, Full Metal Jacket <--- probably my favorite kubrick movies. I can't think of many other movies that show the apathy and dark side of war that well besides maybe Platoon and i think FMJ is a superior movie. If you haven't seen Paths of Glory....... what are you waiting for?

Archived