IGNORED

Monolith - Volume 1

homecharlie

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest placidburp

Not Jazz - it's talked about in the 30,000 REPHLEX threads on here but not got its own and it deserves it!

Anyway, bought it. Its phenomenal! £2.99 for such quality is well worth it. I recommend to all.

There isn't that much out there that sounds like this (cept the Tuss of course) and this EP certainly takes most/maybe all its cues from the Tuss but man it sounds good to me. Top notch, so much going on, sweet sweet sounds..

Really interested to see how/if this chaps changes up his sound in the future. Cos he's got mad chops yo.

Guest cult fiction

While the tracks are very good, I find it silly by Rephlex to release a 100% Tuss clone.

I think artists that can come anywhere near a convincing Tuss sound are pretty rare. Of the 70+ tuss fake tracks that showed up before/around the time when Tuss was originally being released, the only one that was on a similar level was Teddy Oggie and look who got signed to Rephlex at least partially on the strength of that track.

Just like EAP borrowed heavily from Analord but overall leaned closer to rubbery italo disco(especially towards the end), Monolith borrows Tuss production methods but it's overall more danceable and Mary Anne Hobbs friendly.

I think Vol. 1 is more original than Monolith's earlier pre-signing stuff, and he'll probably continue to diverge from the Tuss sound. The fact that he's starting out with production skill similar to RDJ who has been making tunes for 20 years is pretty impressive I think!

Eagerly looking forward to a full-length...

While the tracks are very good, I find it silly by Rephlex to release a 100% Tuss clone.

I think artists that can come anywhere near a convincing Tuss sound are pretty rare. Of the 70+ tuss fake tracks that showed up before/around the time when Tuss was originally being released, the only one that was on a similar level was Teddy Oggie and look who got signed to Rephlex at least partially on the strength of that track.

Just like EAP borrowed heavily from Analord but overall leaned closer to rubbery italo disco(especially towards the end), Monolith borrows Tuss production methods but it's overall more danceable and Mary Anne Hobbs friendly.

I think Vol. 1 is more original than Monolith's earlier pre-signing stuff, and he'll probably continue to diverge from the Tuss sound. The fact that he's starting out with production skill similar to RDJ who has been making tunes for 20 years is pretty impressive I think!

cosign

I endorse this message.

I really enjoy the little panning and reverb tricks on display here. Also the variety of beats and synths in one song. Anyone can do this, but it takes skill to make it sound this good.

I also agree that it is definitely more straight-forward and lighter in tone than the Tuss.

Just like EAP borrowed heavily from Analord

Wait, so no one besides RDJ made melodic techno with a 303 before that?

Probably a dead horse to be beating here, but I've personally always heard a radically different composition style and production style in EOD's stuff, when compared to Richard's, or anyone else's for that matter. If you want me to get down to brass tacks, I think if EOD's work resembles anything else (melodically), it's probably older video game soundtracks.

Back on topic though - I think what Impakt and I mean is not that Monolith isn't talented, whoever he is, but that Rephlex seem to be basically buying into some sort of trend and...well, I for one never thought releasing the same stuff over and over was their style?

I don't think there's anything wrong with nicking a few stylistic aspects from different artists here and there, but it gets a bit more silly when you start using the same compositional progressions and chords on top of the style.

On a sidenote, Teddie Oggie didn't sound at all like the tuss lol :p

I don't think there's anything wrong with nicking a few stylistic aspects from different artists here and there, but it gets a bit more silly when you start using the same compositional progressions and chords on top of the style.

On a sidenote, Teddie Oggie didn't sound at all like the tuss lol :p

This thread made me go listen to Teddie Oggie and I heard nothing Tuss-like at all in it. I was confused.

Regarding EOD's EAP tracks I think it's pretty stupid to compare them to Analord since Stian's synthstimbres, melodies and progressions are extremely different from anything RDJ does. The only thing it has in common is the sound of the drum-machines.

lol... I'm pretty sure all of us love the tuss right? so when rephlex sees we love the tuss its silly of them to release more tuss sounding music? wtf? you guys are so demanding sometimes, you'd think rephlex was your employee

Archived