IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

being in Montreal I'm in the middle of the acousmatic scene, folks like francis dhomont and robert normandeau, who are all about setting up big multichannel systems in spaces and using a great deal of dynamic range.

holy FUCKING SHIT i swear i'm just going to go back and listen to lady gaga and start dancing pointlessly in the hope that my being a low-iq heathen will offset at least 10 of you acousmatic scene fucks.

THERE IS NO ACOUSMATIC SCENE. THERE ARE ONLY SUPPORT GROUPS!

Dude, chill.

two thoughts:

1) acousmatic scene? really, guys, really?

2) since the 16 bit waves and the 24 bit waves are the same price, and there is therefore nothing lost by going with the higher ones, what exactly are you arguing about?

one thinks 16 bit's the way to go.

other disagrees. great. let's move on with our lives. you aren't going to convince eachother and all you're not convincing the rest of us of anything positive about yourselves.

i've already preordered Oversteps from Warp on the limited edition 2 inch tape format. fuck all you digital 24-bitters, i got unlimited bits but for $1900 preorder price

it'd better be in a laser etched round steel tin

THERE IS NO ACOUSMATIC SCENE. THERE ARE ONLY SUPPORT GROUPS!

I've heard that phrase before from students and composers.. almost sounds like you've gone through the drill and lived to tell the tale! :biggrin:

Edited by TwiddleBot

Only if you are mastering/mixing something that is super dedicated to the art of expressing the dynamic range like minimalist academic ambient music or quiet classical stuff would you hear anything remotely like what you described above.

Thank you for an intelligent response :)

That probably explains it, as that is the circles I usually move in (being a musician myself) and the mastering rooms+mastering engineers I've gotten to hang out with are dedicated to that kind of music.. being in Montreal I'm in the middle of the acousmatic scene, folks like francis dhomont and robert normandeau, who are all about setting up big multichannel systems in spaces and using a great deal of dynamic range. Anyway, hence when opting for the 24-bit I'm hoping the new album takes advantage of the increased dynamic range. And of course you're totally right, for most compressed music the extra bits would make little discernible difference if any.

OK back to impatiently waiting for the new album :)

if you met Robert Normandeau in montreal, please say hello from me : he's a true genius. his latest records are fantastic. i've heard a new one might be on the way on Empreintes digitales. i should get a 5.1 system for the Puzzle DVD, only played it via stereo.

if you met Robert Normandeau in montreal, please say hello from me : he's a true genius. his latest records are fantastic. i've heard a new one might be on the way on Empreintes digitales. i should get a 5.1 system for the Puzzle DVD, only played it via stereo.

Met him briefly once or twice, he probably wouldn't even remember me. If you like his stuff, hope you get a chance to hear it 'live' someday, a good chunk of it (as far as I know) is made for 16 channels and when put on cd is then mixed down into stereo. have been to a couple of his shows, quite enjoyed them, they sounded great!

I heard that that label is pretty much only putting out DVDs now.. no more CDs from them.

i've already preordered Oversteps from Warp on the limited edition 2 inch tape format. fuck all you digital 24-bitters, i got unlimited bits but for $1900 preorder price

that's nothing i had them play it live into an empty bourbon barrel and then sealed in a temp & humidity controlled underground bunker and then lovingly aged for three years, when i open the bung, what i hear will be far superior to what any of you cretins get. you haven't lived until you've heard it this way!

fuck all of that, I got my oversteps custom transcribed note-for-note to this format using a special note-midi converter.

it also beats anything aphex twin has ever done hands down any day. nannou my ass.

Edited by TwiddleBot

are guys arguing about 1's and 0's?

there are ten 1's and ten 0's all in a 1 foot square box. will they all be happier in a 2-foot square box?

Edited by jules

Guest Hal9000

I'm still holding out for North America later this year

I'm with you on that one. So dissapointed not to see North America on the tour dates yet. But if I remember correctly they added the US dates later for the Quaristice tour too. Been listening since the 1st record but only got to see them for the 1st time on the last tour. It was totally mindfucking.

commmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeee tttttttttttttttttooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo the usssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss s s

sssssssssijhga

I take it it's too early yet for any word of what might be extra on the Japanese CD?

I didn't read page 57 before posting, but then I just found this: http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3765889.

Well there you have it.

Track 15 Japanese bonus track: Xektses sql (国内盤ボーナス・トラック)

As long as there are tunes like 6IE.CR on oversteps, i'd be happy to wait even if no leaks turn up.

But that's not even a bad song. :facepalm:

He's saying that he LIKES that track so much, that it would be worth the wait to hear more like it.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Guest nene multiple assgasms

about 16 bits vs. 24 bits: I've got a few dvd-audio discs, which are 24 bit, and let me tell they are definitely able to sound superior to cds. yes, there's the dynamic range thing, but there's also just more detail in the timbres and textures of the sounds. my dvd-a of björk - vespertine sounds noticibly richer than the cd. my dvd-a of t.rex - electric warrior blows the cd out of the water. incidentally, the difference between sacds and cds is much less in my experience. sacds to me just sound like really well mastered cds. I'm not an audiophile at all, but I do like good-sounding recordings.

oops, my bad. at any rate this Japanese bonus track has another clear phrase; "sql" like the programming language.. can one use SQL for audio work? :emotawesomepm9:

E_000006568042_DE_30.jpg

Zeit.jpg

200px-Monoliths_&_Dimensions.jpg

classic albums, all.

about 16 bits vs. 24 bits: I've got a few dvd-audio discs, which are 24 bit, and let me tell they are definitely able to sound superior to cds. yes, there's the dynamic range thing, but there's also just more detail in the timbres and textures of the sounds. my dvd-a of björk - vespertine sounds noticibly richer than the cd. my dvd-a of t.rex - electric warrior blows the cd out of the water. incidentally, the difference between sacds and cds is much less in my experience. sacds to me just sound like really well mastered cds. I'm not an audiophile at all, but I do like good-sounding recordings.

i've never been able to compare anything that was a straight 24-bit stereo DVD-A vs a normal 16-bit stereo CD. A lot of the stuff i've listened to on DVD-A simply sounds better because of the center speaker / L & R speaker separation, usually they place the vocals in the center channel giving more of a 'wide' stereo field effect for the L & R channels. I wonder though if it's because of the 24-bit or it has something to do with the ac3 encoding algorithm, because correct me if im wrong but i thought DVD-A was encoded/compressed. Blue-rays are different in that they have uncompressed PCM audio.

Wouldn't it also sound better as DVD Audio usually uses sampling rates higher than CD? Like 48 or 96.. ?

Even in my home studio I can tell the difference between some 44.1 and some 48 or 96Khz recordings. There's a clarity and warmth present you just don't get at CD quality. Which is strange, because technically you shouldnt be able to hear that high.. (for sure maybe it has to do with the aliasing filter). Anyway especially if you start using transient sounds or very crisp, complex textures (like cymbals/snares) it usually becomes quite apparent. The sheen is gone at 44.1

On the flip side it could also have to do with whatever sampling/bit rate the recording was originally mastered in, and the quality of the conversion process down to CD.. I can hear the difference when I downsample my own projects to 44.1, and I'm not sure if it is because 44.1 just doesn't sound as good, or my converters suck, or both.

Edited by TwiddleBot

i highly doubt i could tell the difference between 16&24bit / 44.1&96khz.. especially since i have rather cheap / hand-me-down audio hardware (cheap yamaha audiogram external soundcard, 70s kenwood amp) .. actually i don't think my soundcard can even play/record in 24bit/96khz! i'm happy with 16bit tbh.

++ i'll probably never actually listen to the wavs of oversteps - i'll probably listen to the vinyl at home, and the mp3s while out / when i want to scrobble on last.fm, zole.

Edited by modey