IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

This is my bum usually (_._)

This is my bum when ae announce an album (_O_)

Your post made it into the Oversteps review in this week's Humo magazine. :wang:

if this is real, that's fucking hilarious

This is my bum usually (_._)

This is my bum when ae announce an album (_O_)

Your post made it into the Oversteps review in this week's Humo magazine. :wang:

Haha, are you shitting me? Where can I find this?

"This is what my bum usually looks like: (_._)", according to one Obel on a forum for lovers of the better electronic oumpah-pah. "And this is what my bum looks like when Autechre announce a new album: (_O_)". We will spare you the details of what position our sphincter assumed when we first received the Oversteps release date in our inbox. But we will say this: on the Facebook page of Warp, home of duo Rob Brown and Sean Booth since 1993, we were quick to click the 'I like this'-button...

And cheers for posting the scan, that's fucking crazy!

Haha, that's made my evening!

Edited by Obel

Guest Georges Bataille

Fucking yes! I have been immortalised in Belgian print media! Any chance of a translation of that top bit?

haha, i just read it too

who here is kristoff tilkin?

i've been playing warp stuff and other idm to my friend i've known for quite a while now, he bought hudson mohawke and i was shocked to come back to my pad today and hear him pumping oversteps, which he bought :braindance:

Wow. :beer: Cheers, Obel! I feel sad, because I told myself I wouldn't listen to Oversteps again until I got the package in the mail, weeks ago. I hope it's here today.

Guest kelvanE

this album is great. i'm loving both the beat-less and more danceable tracks. this album feels cohesive, whereas Quaristice was a disjoined medley. for me, the album plays out in thirds:

r ess ---> qplay = second favorite

see on see ---> st epreo = favorite

redfall ---> Yuop = third favorite

Finally got it in the post, today. Man oh man. I never realized just how bass-heavy it is until I played the actual, manufactured CD, on my family's speakers. Also, it is in a digipak! :emotawesomepm9:

Guest kelvanE

live in US and got it from Bleep, along with the 24-bit .wav/320kbps MP3 combo pre-order. my CD copy arrived on Wednesday. so yes!!! you need to hear it

Is it bad that I still haven't received my vinyl box set yet? I live in England so I would've thought a whole week has been a little long now...

Bleep have been slipping up recently, they hasn't sent my Dopplereffekt vinyl for a month so I emailed them and they basically said they forgot... Send them an email with the order number and find out what's going on mate

This is the first Autechre album I've heard in a long time that came as a genuine surprise, and a very effective one at that. I've felt for a long time that in terms of pushing electronic music forward there aren't really any other artists that come close, neither in complexity nor in exploring what technology can do in music. From Confield through to Untilted, they really didn't leave much room for further progression in that particular direction, and they were following a very linear course through it. So while each album succeeded in taking things a little further (or light years ahead of where anyone else was taking it), it was all a very natural development. With Quaristice it sounded like they were taking a step back and just having some fun with it... you know, they'd been so serious with it they needed to an album to just play on, an homage to everything they'd accomplished musically over the last ten years. And now that it's out of their system, they're onto a new phase. It's like the reverse aesthetic. The melodics are the foreground, the beats are being guided by them. And lo and behold it sounds nothing like anything anyone else is making at present (at least that I'm aware of). If one were to hear this without knowing it were a new Autechre album, it would not be immediately apparent it was them, and yet there's no one else who would think to make it quite like this. There's just a sonic quality to it that's so very unique to Autechre.

Anyway, Autchre is so far ahead of the curve it almost makes me not want to try, at least in terms of pioneering in this vein. They know their equipment all too well and have far too much experience with it. Without a doubt one of the top 10 most important music artists of the last 20 years.

This is the first Autechre album I've heard in a long time that came as a genuine surprise, and a very effective one at that. I've felt for a long time that in terms of pushing electronic music forward there aren't really any other artists that come close, neither in complexity nor in exploring what technology can do in music. From Confield through to Untilted, they really didn't leave much room for further progression in that particular direction, and they were following a very linear course through it. So while each album succeeded in taking things a little further (or light years ahead of where anyone else was taking it), it was all a very natural development. With Quaristice it sounded like they were taking a step back and just having some fun with it... you know, they'd been so serious with it they needed to an album to just play on, an homage to everything they'd accomplished musically over the last ten years. And now that it's out of their system, they're onto a new phase. It's like the reverse aesthetic. The melodics are the foreground, the beats are being guided by them. And lo and behold it sounds nothing like anything anyone else is making at present (at least that I'm aware of). If one were to hear this without knowing it were a new Autechre album, it would not be immediately apparent it was them, and yet there's no one else who would think to make it quite like this. There's just a sonic quality to it that's so very unique to Autechre.

Anyway, Autchre is so far ahead of the curve it almost makes me not want to try, at least in terms of pioneering in this vein. They know their equipment all too well and have far too much experience with it. Without a doubt one of the top 10 most important music artists of the last 20 years.

yep, you hit the nail right on the head there imo.