IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

Guest lithgow

I've realized what I waste of time it was moaning on this thread about the album all the time. There's no point in such negativity - and there are some fine, original and strangely beautiful moments on Oversteps, so it was totally over the top to blast it as I did. It's certainly not rubbish - and it's a lot more interesting than the output from other big name 'IDM' guys as of late. known(1) aside, no artist deserves such a swarm of negative words for their efforts. I take back what I said - not because the album is necessarily amazing, but because what I did was just dickish.

Um, don't be put off by the sheep on here, it's OK to not like an album.

sad.jpg

that news felt our lithgow feeling: sad

...or most likely they won't post again.

People like him never stop posting. So Lithgow, now you know. Eat it.

Eat what, the shit sandwich that is the fake Oversteps?

The Norman records thing proves dick and squat, by the by, they are known piss takers.

when people say fm what does that mean exactly?

is this it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency_modulation_synthesis

could someone explain/show examples of how this is recognizable?

Guess I'm a little late on this, but the simplest way to put it is: FM synthesis = Sega Genesis/MegaDrive music.

Also if you had a SoundBlaster 16 in the mid 90s, a lot of game music relied on the SB16's internal FM synthesizer.

And a lot of Midway pinball machines (Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom comes to mind) and various other arcade machines had them.

It's electronic sounding but can be weirdly realistic. Not like blocky, chunky NES sounds, more glassy, rubbery, bouncy.

It was a method of synthesis really popular in mid to late 80's early 90's synths (after analogue went out of vogue and before virtual analogue came in) and was the method of synthesis in the ubiquitous Yamaha DX-7 and Roland D-50 synths which were coming down in price during IDM's golden era and as a result is all over early rephlex and warp stuff. It became kind of less fashionable over the years, but its all over Autechre's LP5, and the two Ceephax albums on Rephlex. Kind of a sharp, thin sound that can be made really weird and complex due to the mathmatical nature of the synthesis.

i think it's quite funny.

i don't want to get that conflicted feeling of only being able to listen to a shit quality ae release and wondering what it actually sounds like. i've been taking the time to get reacquainted with quadrange.

Those samples sound a hell of a lot better and cleaner than the leak.

Well it's an mp3 taken from the original source vs. a transcoded radio stream, so that's not really surprising !

... Roland D-50 ...

Sorry to nitpick but D-50 was LA synthesis. Which IIRC was like PCM mixed with DCOs.

heh, I always get my crappy digital synths mixed up.

... Roland D-50 ...

Sorry to nitpick but D-50 was LA synthesis. Which IIRC was like PCM mixed with DCOs.

Haha. Yeah. I can't vouch for the D-50 but I can tell you the TX81Z is definitely not crappy. Cheap, yes, but not crappy.

... Roland D-50 ...

Haha. Yeah. I can't vouch for the D-50 but I can tell you the TX81Z is definitely not crappy. Cheap, yes, but not crappy.

I'm guessing the TX81Z is the synth used in all those mental TX tracks I previously mentioned on the Ceephax albums, it definately sounds powerful. Anyway, I digress.

I have a feeling this is going to become a classic for me, but I still can't get over how terrible the artwork is! WTF TDR! :wtf:

You think? I quite like it!

Is there something wrong with me? (don't answer that)

Can't remember if you listened or not, it just really does not match the music at all. Whoever said that the Just A Souvenir cover was a good fit for this was spot on. I am thinking of Tron lightcycles when I listen to this album.

Those samples sound a hell of a lot better and cleaner than the leak.

Well it's an mp3 taken from the original source vs. a transcoded radio stream, so that's not really surprising !

that's not from the radio stream, or actually, in fact we don't know at all where it is from.

but yeah these mp3s do sound more rich, even if the actual bitrate seems quite low…?

Edited by Guest

... Roland D-50 ...

I'm guessing the TX81Z is the synth used in all those mental TX tracks I previously mentioned on the Ceephax albums, it definately sounds powerful. Anyway, I digress.

TBH I'm not sure about Ceephax as I'm not too familiar with his catalog. It's just my personal fave, and probably the commonest FM synth.

Though, supposedly Autechre used DX100s which are very similar architecture-wise, in fact their patches might be cross-compatible. I could see that being the source of the FM from Amber, possibly Incunabula, to Chiastic Slide. Whereas around LP5/Chiastic they acquired an FS1R, which is probably the most advanced non-modular, mass-produced FM synth ever, and a Nord Lead which is capable of FM.

Sorry to have derailed the thread. I just feel a need to set the record straight when it comes to FM. Cos I'm a nerd.

monomachine is capable of FM too. I find it hard to listen to Known(1) and not think of shadow of the beast 2 (ten pints).

not a bad thing.

I have a feeling this is going to become a classic for me, but I still can't get over how terrible the artwork is! WTF TDR! :wtf:

You think? I quite like it!

Is there something wrong with me? (don't answer that)

Can't remember if you listened or not, it just really does not match the music at all. Whoever said that the Just A Souvenir cover was a good fit for this was spot on. I am thinking of Tron lightcycles when I listen to this album.

Nah, waiting til either bleep releases or I have it in my hands. Standing alone you don't think the cover art is any good though?

Also can anyone find any similarities between plyPhon and krYlon?

No, but Krylon is the trade name of the acrylic paint in spray cans, the heart and soul of old-school taggerz, yo.