IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

I can't get past the crap quality of the m4a and the terrible crossfades, not to mention the error towards the end of the album that I can't bypass on my portable device. This is an album I can't really dive into without having the full presentation available.

Thus, WHAT THE FUCK, WARP/BLEEP?

Oh I can answer that, actually:

Me: No harm in asking, I suppose - with the proliferation of faked/leaked versions of the new Autechre release all over the internet, is there any likelihood of Bleep releasing downloads to those of us who have already paid for it?

Thanks for any help / advice / subtle indications you can provide.

Regards, (blos).

Bleep: Your request (#7752) has been deemed solved.

MB, Feb 10 10:37 (GMT):

Hi (blos)

You can be sure that Bleep and Warp will do everything it can to provide its loyal customers and fans the best, tailored service it can possibly provide.

Bleep Support

Edited by blos

Oh I can answer that, actually:

Me: No harm in asking, I suppose - with the proliferation of faked/leaked versions of the new Autechre release all over the internet, is there any likelihood of Bleep releasing downloads to those of us who have already paid for it?

Thanks for any help / advice / subtle indications you can provide.

Regards, (blos).

Bleep: Your request (#7752) has been deemed solved.

MB, Feb 10 10:37 (GMT):

Hi (blos)

You can be sure that Bleep and Warp will do everything it can to provide its loyal customers and fans the best, tailored service it can possibly provide.

Bleep Support

what a politician answer :facepalm:

It's hypocritical to the point that it seems like it must be sarcastic.

I wonder if that's a robot answer.

listening to this again, treale might be my favorite track...

Agreed, really digging that one!

It really does swing.

Anyone getting a Vangelis vibe from Os Veix 3?

I wonder if that's a robot answer.

I think it's an auto-text replacement when someone at Bleep types STFU.

Guest lithgow

if you mean the track selection and the way each tracks sounds significantly different from each other, that makes sense. the flow of Oversteps from track to track seems to have a very encapsulated and specific flow

but if you mean the individual tracks on Oversteps build up and develop a lot. i'm not hearing very much build up and disassembling on Oversteps, maybe im missing something. Most of the transitions seem to almost 'burst' into the mix and the album has almost an anti ambient quality to me where things seem very immediate and brisk. There are a lot of atmospheric more silent sections on this album but they don't really build up or slowly develop into something more dense like the stuff on for example Amber.

Okay, now I think we're getting somewhere here...

Cohesion. Its that simple. The reason why *I* for one appreciate this album is because one has to reflect on this album cohesively. Robbie, you remember when Queersauce came out and what my reaction was... about how Warp post-scripted their stance on the album, making these shortened bursts of ideas sound like some grand revelation for the band, and subsequently us as listeners. Remember how I said that if Autechre was "brilliant" or "hard core," instead of releasing 20+ songs on one album, they would release one album that was ONE song? IMHO, Oversteps is the closest we've gotten across an entire album, to it being a single body of work. For that alone, I appreciate this on another level. Given that, I cant help but look at this m4a file in a different light.

Is it less beats? Sure. Does it cast less of a, dare I say, typical Autechre feel? Absolutely not. It actually is the opposite. To me, this album summarizes the disorienting mood at the heart of most of their songs, while cutting out the stuff that makes them "cool" and progressive. To that, I have to give them TONS of credit. They've retained their signature by evacuating their penmanship.

Aahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

BWWHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ha hah... hehehehheheheheheh

on an unrelated note I have had a mad impulse everyday to just post "bump" since about page 100 of this thread.

also I had ilanders stuck in my head alll day.

and Treale is grand.

Aahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Frankly you should rather be laughing at all the statements you made about the new m4a leak being fake.

EPIC FAIL IS EPIC.

Edited by Fredd-E

anyone have a clue how to make some of those gnarly high end guitarish rip sounds on redfall? sounds Fm but not like any i've heard

album is really growing on me, there are only a few tracks i'm not feeling (krlyon) but i think see on see, known(1) and o=0 are pretty great

can't wait to see what autechre does next. question is... has joyrex heard this monster yet?

Edited by Awepittance

i'm sorry i keep mentioning my record label in this thread but i can't help it

2 tracks off of the compilation Unfamiliar Cielings on Tear records (not my label but features 2 artists on rlr)

remind me A LOT of oversteps, total coincidence but this sote song especially reminds me of that guitar on Redfall

and the general flow of this nommo ogo track with that bassy distortion reminds me of st epro quite a lot. clips are a little short but you can kind of see what im talking about

the comp is on emusic

in a way i'm glad autechre has maybe opened people's minds a little towards synthy stuff with no beats, cause i plan on putting out a lot of it in the future :)

Edited by Awepittance

anyone have a clue how to make some of those gnarly high end guitarish rip sounds on redfall? sounds Fm but not like any i've heard

i'm sure i've made sounds like that with the synth1 vst.. which is apparently a nord lead clone? i'll have a play with it this weekend and see what i can come up with. i've never been too good with typical fm synths though. too complex for me hehe.

what i really want to know is how the fuck they did that high melody in known(1). it's so ridiculous! (in a good way)

in a way i'm glad autechre has maybe opened people's minds a little towards synthy stuff with no beats, cause i plan on putting out a lot of it in the future :)

so do i :emotawesomepm9:

Edited by modey

i'm sure i've made sounds like that with the synth1 vst.. which is apparently a nord lead clone? i'll have a play with it this weekend and see what i can come up with. i've never been too good with typical fm synths though. too complex for me hehe.

sounds like it could be that same mysterious sound used in Fermium or even Simm but have you tried played with the instruments Tension or Collider that come with Ableton Live? also check out Sculpture inside logic audio. It's a shame that the best phys mod plugins can't be used in other Daws.

you can use certain settings in these programs where you get almost an acoustic resonating chamber overdrive effect and it sounds very cybery/shiny but also kind of acoustic. usually running an object made out of metal (in collision: plate or beam, in sculpture : steel ) and using very high pitched notes on it gets an effect kind of like this, not exactly.

Edited by Awepittance

Hmmmm.... that's always the way I perceived my own music but I think most people think it's more ambient... what do you guys all think?

....anyone?

:emotawesomepm9:

sounds like it could be that same mysterious sound used in Fermium or even Simm but have you tried played with the instruments Tension or Collider that come with Ableton Live? also check out Sculpture inside logic audio. It's a shame that the best phys mod plugins can't be used in other Daws.

you can use certain settings in these programs where you get almost an acoustic resonating chamber overdrive effect and it sounds very cybery/shiny but also kind of acoustic. usually running an object made out of metal (in collision: plate or beam, in sculpture : steel ) and using very high pitched notes on it gets an effect kind of like this, not exactly.

hmm, i don't have live or logic, so i can't really try out these plugins. shame because i'd love to get into physical modelling synthesis at some point. maybe i'll play around with reaktor a bit more.

Hmmmm.... that's always the way I perceived my own music but I think most people think it's more ambient... what do you guys all think?

....anyone?

:emotawesomepm9:

yeah i'd say your stuff is more ambient, well at least yellower days is, imo. speaking of which, i should really listen to it more, it's a wonderful album!

actually everyone needs to listen to yellower days and my album city fighter jacky in poke world! zole!

back on topic, this is a really sweet album. Love qplay and Treale. Treale has some of Ae's best stuff going on in it. Mostly I just love how inviting the album is, I actually enjoy giving it repeated listens, that hasn't happened since LP7 for me.

i always love listening to new autechre albums over and over again. but then usually stop after a couple of weeks of constant listening, and start again after about a year. hmm.