IGNORED

VHS Head - Trademark Ribbons of Gold

Yeah, I usually don't care too much about what someone uses (particularly in terms of software). I was more interested in the whole thing being made from VHS samples- that's crazy! Every sound? I don't know man...

every sound. yes.

What about songs that have overarching synth melodies and chords like "Sunset Everett"? It seems more likely those are not samples.

Yeah, I usually don't care too much about what someone uses (particularly in terms of software). I was more interested in the whole thing being made from VHS samples- that's crazy! Every sound? I don't know man...

every sound. yes.

What about songs that have overarching synth melodies and chords like "Sunset Everett"? It seems more likely those are not samples.

then your assumption would be wrong :sorcerer:

Guest 1337isg4y

every sound. yes.

Oscillik, you keep insisting that it's all samples. Do you have proof of this other than your word?

I'm not implying your making it up, just curious.

Guest Lube Saibot

Also you seem to infer that using anything but samples would be, ahem, "cheating", and somehow less impressive or something...

...pretentious much?

it amazes me the amount of people that assume he must be using something other than samples, just because they themselves can't imagine that it is possible.

every sound. yes.

Oscillik, you keep insisting that it's all samples. Do you have proof of this other than your word?

I'm not implying your making it up, just curious.

i've seen his setup. you can believe that or not.

Also you seem to infer that using anything but samples would be, ahem, "cheating", and somehow less impressive or something...

...pretentious much?

yes it would be cheating. considering that the whole premise behind the music is that it is samples from VHS tapes

Guest ruiagnelo

i don't care if everything is composed of vhs samples.

it has a lot of vhs samples and a truly unique sound. that will do for me.

It is entirely possible, I've chopped up things and created new melodies from individual notes and phrases, it would just be a lot of work to create a whole album that way- especially one this intricate.

But yeah, the bottom line is that it's a sweet album regardless...

This is entirely possible, difficult and time consuming definitely, but people saying it's impossible are being silly.

How do you think Matmos have made an entire career making albums entirely out of field recording sounds? When I was in college I made an album using only sounds I recorded from phones, fax machines, supplies, etc in my office. If I could do it with a pirated copy of Reason and a lot of hard work six years ago, it's certainly possible now. Think how many 70s and 80s movies have synth scores, it would be very doable to chop this all up, you just need to be obsessive and able to bang through tedious work.

This project is great and I personally don't see any reason why he wouldn't limit himself to just VHS tapes. There's an almost unlimited sample bank there. Big ups VHS Head.

i don't care if everything is composed of vhs samples.

it has a lot of vhs samples and a truly unique sound. that will do for me.

It is entirely possible, I've chopped up things and created new melodies from individual notes and phrases, it would just be a lot of work to create a whole album that way- especially one this intricate.

But yeah, the bottom line is that it's a sweet album regardless...

me 2

Guest 1337isg4y

I couldn't care less whether it was all made from samples or not. I also believe it is entirely possible that is is in fact all samples, I am just curious as to why some people are so sure that is is.

Closest thing I could find to a press release: http://bit.ly/edXyA7

"primary sound source" would suggest not the sole sound source, no?

Edited by 1337isg4y

What premise are you talking about? Did you infer this premise from his name?

I couldn't care less whether it was all made from samples or not. I also believe it is entirely possible that is is in fact all samples, I am just curious as to why some people are so sure that is is.

i have already said why i am so "sure that it is"

(eg. sneaksta303 saying it's obvious he used Ableton - though I'd like to think he was joking)

i got some lolz from that one too

i was joking. i remember fooling lots of peeps with my old reason productions, saying it was something else. Also, while a DAW may influence your composition style, saying I can tell VHS is using Live is ridiculous. I COULD see how Live would be helpful with the warping and all his samples, but there's no way of knowing.

What premise are you talking about? Did you infer this premise from his name?

i have already said why i am so "sure that it is"

I still don't understand. What kind of 'setup' would make it obvious that there's only samples being used? Whether performed live or sequenced on a computer, any of his sound sources could be made from synths just as well as from samples. I just can't grasp your reasoning here.

This is entirely possible, difficult and time consuming definitely, but people saying it's impossible are being silly.

How do you think Matmos have made an entire career making albums entirely out of field recording sounds? When I was in college I made an album using only sounds I recorded from phones, fax machines, supplies, etc in my office. If I could do it with a pirated copy of Reason and a lot of hard work six years ago, it's certainly possible now. Think how many 70s and 80s movies have synth scores, it would be very doable to chop this all up, you just need to be obsessive and able to bang through tedious work.

This project is great and I personally don't see any reason why he wouldn't limit himself to just VHS tapes. There's an almost unlimited sample bank there. Big ups VHS Head.

i agree, there are only maybe 1 or 2 times (the song encey already mentioned) where it sounds like he might be using a synth to compliment a melody already being made with a sample. to me it doesnt matter, the concept is conveyed very clearly in the sound alone.

Edited by Awepittance