IGNORED

VHS Head - Trademark Ribbons of Gold

Yeah !

Was great to talk to you, see you later;-`0

I look forward to his future works, classics like the "one glitch too many" and the "one glitch too far" double pack ep

i don't really see this as a glitchy album, it's made entirely with cutups sure but during idm's heyday 90% of the stuff off merck or countless other idmy labels was far more glitchy than this

the most valid complaint i've heard brought up so far is that the album is too unfollowable and that it borrows heavily from the Oizo/ Ed Banger vocabulary. Since i am a huge mr oizo fan and a fan of difficult music this is for me a perfect fusion of the two.

progress towards?

for me it's one of the finest examples of fully re appropriated music turned into something enjoyable. not since i listened to my first hint of Amon tobin have i heard something using similar techniques sound this fresh. and to top off the aesthetics for me is that the guy is actually using samples from VHS Tapes, you can hear that sharpness as well as the high pitched whine.

progress towards ? I don't know, but it sure as hell is a lot more interesting than most new electronic music i've heard in the past year.

Edited by Awepittance

progress towards?

Progress (n) - any phenomenon most people secretly find weird, objectionable or just plain stupid that they pretend to like because they are convinced that everyone else thinks the phenomenon in question is cool and cutting edge. See: Eugenics, Cold Fusion, Global Warming, Lady Gaga

for me it's one of the finest examples of fully re appropriated music turned into something enjoyable. not since i listened to my first hint of Amon tobin have i heard something using similar techniques sound this fresh. and to top off the aesthetics for me is that the guy is actually using samples from VHS Tapes, you can hear that sharpness as well as the high pitched whine.

progress towards ? I don't know, but it sure as hell is a lot more interesting than most new electronic music i've heard in the past year.

straight up

Guest Backson

i just ordered this. super excited. hope the packaging is as nice as Video Club.

was trying to avoid this thread in case of "spoilers" (and backlash), but i couldn't resist sharing eagerness.

progress towards?

here, here, Tom Hanks. you speak sense. i agree with you. and the whole VHS samples thing makes it tres cooler, imo. and a tad nostalgic.

i don't find it "glitchy" at all. it's pure cut-up technique. and awesomely executed.

progress towards?

Progress (n) - any phenomenon most people secretly find weird, objectionable or just plain stupid that they pretend to like because they are convinced that everyone else thinks the phenomenon in question is cool and cutting edge. See: Eugenics, Cold Fusion, Global Warming, Lady Gaga

you like Lady Gaga? and think global warming is "cool and cutting edge" ? lol lol

Yeah !

Was great to talk to you, see you later;-`0

I look forward to his future works, classics like the "one glitch too many" and the "one glitch too far" double pack ep

i don't really see this as a glitchy album, it's made entirely with cutups sure but during idm's heyday 90% of the stuff off merck or countless other idmy labels was far more glitchy than this

the most valid complaint i've heard brought up so far is that the album is too unfollowable and that it borrows heavily from the Oizo/ Ed Banger vocabulary. Since i am a huge mr oizo fan and a fan of difficult music this is for me a perfect fusion of the two.

progress towards?

For all the glitch and whatnot on this album it is remarkably funkless and flat. It's a bad pop album. Never liked the ED Banger label, compressed to high fuck big bass pseudo hipster electro-clash- dance tunes. Never liked the Merck label either, lacked balls, sterile, formulaic , boring IDM sound. I do agree with you that there isn't much coming out these days that reaks of innovation or interesting ideas though hence why I'm becoming less and less keen on current fads and going back to the truly innovational sounds of people like Todd Dockstader, Zoviet France, SPK, artists alot more dynamic with fusing source material (VHS tapes or otherwise) into a musical pallete of commendable genius.

For all the glitch and whatnot on this album it is remarkably funkless and flat. It's a bad pop album. Never liked the ED Banger label, compressed to high fuck big bass pseudo hipster electro-clash- dance tunes. Never liked the Merck label either, lacked balls, sterile, formulaic , boring IDM sound. I do agree with you that there isn't much coming out these days that reaks of innovation or interesting ideas though hence why I'm becoming less and less keen on current fads and going back to the truly innovational sounds of people like Todd Dockstader, Zoviet France, SPK, artists alot more dynamic with fusing source material (VHS tapes or otherwise) into a musical pallete of commendable genius.

You either get it or you don't. You might wanna just give up on this one.

Edited by wake

For me, VHS Head completely nails that slightly sinister aspect of the 80's when we were on the edge of the analog-to-digital transition. My teenage years were the 1980's so tracks like Red Lens Effect (with its Tangerine Dream/John Carpenter homage) really speak to me. There's so many moments on this album where I hear something I remember from back then but cannot quite place it. Last time music had this effect would probably have been BOC.

Guest no carrier

straight up

Guest disparaissant

Anbody else know what "Franco zoom to nowhere" is referring to? This guy really knows his B movies

id assume he's referencing jesus franco, who did a shitload of schlocky horror films in the 80s and really loved to abuse the hell out of long zooms.

probably my favorite track on the album. that or the violent breed.