Guest blakeboogie

*edit*

I realized I had no clue what the words actually meant so I looked it up and it’s pretty poignant for the situation...

He fell asleep 
Adormeceu 

The Rosary
O Terço
He fell asleep 
Adormeceu 

Before the end of the day 
Antes do fim do dia 

Between the routine of the place 
Entre a rotina do lugar 

But life is still made 
Porém a vida ainda se faz 

In a weak sigh
Num fraco suspirar
Recognized 
Reconheceu 

Peace who hides 
A paz quem da se esconde 

Behind the mantles of reason 
Por traz dos mantos da razão 

Fell asleep not to die 
Adormeceu pra não morrer 

Dying without knowing
Morrendo sem saber
Hey hey 
Hey hey 

Love your white dreams 
Amor seus brancos sonhos 

If someone has no vision 
Se alguém não tem visão 

Shelters you
Te abriga
He fell asleep
Adormeceu”
Edited by J3FF3R00

I was never a super fan but I also felt gutted over it. The dude was just super consistent. Always putting out quality stuff with a great aesthetic, and also influenced so many other great musicians. Huge loss.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

I believe these are the first appearances of Doom and KMD, correct?

Those are simultaneously pretty terrible but also endearing.. so of-the-time.  I didnt catch any doom verses- did he do production or something?  Because the KMD i've heard he is rapping

8 hours ago, bupkis said:

I heard the news of his passing on new years but it did not start to sink in until the day after. I went on a walk and listened to Madvillainy got home and watched the redbull interview again almost teared up at his closing remarks.

I got into Hip Hop because my older brother listened to it all classic 90s stuff. He had a bunch of great CDs and I got so into the Infamous and It Was Written and other classics, he was cool with me using them whenever he was not home and we had a boombox with a CD player and tape deck on it so I could make tapes of all his stuff and listen whenever which I did with Operation Doomsday. Just fell in love with that album. I was probably the only kid in school whose hero was a supervillain haha.

For some reason some of his simple rhymes are my favorite and this one will be burned in my mind forever

The flow is at pedal pace steady like tricycles
Beware all suckas is froze like icicles

Gas Drawls is probably my favorite song from him but he has so much awesome music so gifted from the booth to the boards as they say.

RIP MF DOOM

Compliments of the town jeweler

thx for the stories.  Regarding your first sentence, I can relate that it is sinking in rather slowly.  Him being the character MF DOOM has always made him seem distant, but now that his passing is sinking in I find myself imagining Daniel the person writing the words and they are hitting me differently..

His rhymes have that rare combination of talent and passion.  They have that wtf factor where when you read them its like 'how could anybody even think to put those words together?!'

Pour the wine, whore to grind, quarter to nine, let's go
Ever since ten eleven, glad she made a brethren
Then it's last down, seven alligator seven, at the gates of heaven
Knocking, no answer, slow dancer, hopeless romancer, dopest flow stanzas
Yes, no? Villain, Metal face to Destro
Guess so, still incredible in escrow
Just say Ho! I'll test the yayo
Wild West style fest, y'all best to lay low
Hey bro, Day Glo, set the bet, pay dough
Before the cheddar get away, best to get Maaco

A mod merged my tribute thread with a 2010 thread, I guess thats cool> But I hope people keep it going and dont get confused by the title if they weren't aware of his real name. (Maybe add MF DOOM to the title since its his most known alias)

59 minutes ago, markedone said:

Those are simultaneously pretty terrible but also endearing.. so of-the-time.  I didnt catch any doom verses- did he do production or something?  Because the KMD i've heard he is rapping

Doom is in the video for Gas Face from 2:49 onward. He went by Zev Love X during that era and maybe would had that as his "default" alias if his brother hadn't had such an untimely death. 3rd Bass help get KMD discovered and signed.

He and his brother DJ Subroc both produced. Just skim his "Special Herbs and Spices" releases to see how much he produced himself.

According to DJ Subroc's wiki he was credited as "KMD" for when he produced, even if by himself. This was for legal reasons as he wasn't yet 18, but Zev and likely Onyx were (Rodan was also still in high school when KMD was signed). So that second track is likely him or Zev Love X or both but not specified. 

3rd Bass is one of those musical groups with a fairly "flash in the pan" but legitimate run. Two gold records and the other big "legit" white rapper group. Incidently they feuded with Beastie Boys despite trying to work with them initially - they dissed both the Beastie Boys for signing to Capitol and later Vanilla Ice for his pop approach. They were heralded for the later and the video has a Henry Rollins cameo. The former not so much... we all know how much bigger the Beastie Boys became and they successfully transitioned into the 90s when so many other golden era groups, ones from NYC especially, broke up or winded down. MC Serch has some great stories on YT and hosted "The White Rapper Show" years ago which was both terrible and excellent and prime late 00s / early 10s reality tv. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If there's one figure in hip-hop MF Doom reminds me of it's Kool Keith. Not just the obvious similarities with their prolific work under various aliases, unabashed weirdness and distinct flows but also their similar career arcs. Both were part of seminal late 80s groups and went quiet for years before their solo careers took off. Two very different and distinct rappers though.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, joshuatxuk said:

If there's one figure in hip-hop MF Doom reminds me of it's Kool Keith. Not just the obvious similarities with their prolific work under various aliases, unabashed weirdness and distinct flows but also their similar career arcs. Both were part of seminal late 80s groups and went quiet for years before their solo careers took off. Two very different and distinct rappers though.

Kool Keith had a feature on the most recent Roc Marciano album really good

6 hours ago, markedone said:

says you love MF DOOM" " have no idea who's zev love x or kmd" - Skeptical  African Child | Meme Generator

Just joking man I did not know about his early days as Zev either

I was very sad to hear this on New Year's Eve. Spent a good chunk of the days since revisiting the solo and collab classics, as well as first listens to DOOM's Born Like This, which I had ignored up to now for some reason, and KMD's debut Mr. Hood.

• Like 1

https://www.nts.live/shows/tuesday-trips/episodes/tuesday-trips-w-ivan-ave-5th-january-2021

^An instrumentals focused tribute radio show.  They dabble in madlib instrumentals tho which is a bit off topic imo.

There was a better doom tribute show that aired yesterday on nts with more raps.  It was from 'Outside Insight Hour'.  Hasn't yet showed up on the nts archive but ill post it when it does

Edited by markedone
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, markedone said:

There was a better doom tribute show that aired yesterday on nts with more raps.  It was from 'Outside Insight Hour'.  Hasn't yet showed up on the nts archive but ill post it when it does

https://www.nts.live/shows/outside-insight/episodes/the-outside-insight-hour-5th-january-2021
Here it is^  Great tribute show ?

Edited by markedone

5 hours ago, Richie Sombrero said:

There was a tribute on Gilles Peterson too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000qx4v

Yeah - GP then compiled a 2.5 hour dedicated show om his own WorldwideFM  MF DOOM Tribute - Giles Peterson Worldwide FM

Includes some of the sources for the samples etc..

Tracklist:

COOKIN SOUL – NAUGHTY OR NUTS
KMD – IT SOUNDED LIKE A ROCK (INSTRUMENTAL)
KMD – CONSTIPATED MONKEY (INSTRUMENTAL)
KMD – STOP SMOKIN’ THAT SHIT (INSTRUMENTAL)
RAIN – CLOUDS
KMD – CONTACT BLITZ
KMD – BANANAPEEL BLUES
PREFUSE 73 – BLACK LIST
DOMI & JD BECK – MADVILLAINY TRIBUTE – ACCORDIAN
MADVILLAIN – ACCORDIAN
IDRIS MUHAMMED – PIECE OF MIND
BISHOP NEHRU FT DOOM – MEATHEAD
CZARFACE & MF DOOM – DON’T SPOIL IT
HELIOCENTRICS – DISTANT STAR (FEATURING PERCEE P & MF DOOM)
WILMA ARCHER – LAST SNIFF (FEATURING MF DOOM)
JNEIRO JAREL – SELFIE DESTRUCTION (FEATURING DR WHO DAT & JJ DOOM)
THE HERBALISER – IT AIN’T NUTTIN (FEATURING MF DOOM)
MF DOOM – POTHOLDERZ (FEATURING COUNT BASS D)
CZARFACE & MF DOOM – CLOSE TALKER
LEW HOWARD & THE ALLSTARS – HULA ROCK
MADVILLAIN – MEATGRINDER
FRANK ZAPPA AND THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION – SLEEPING IN A JAR
ARTHUR VEROCAI – SERIADO
MF DOOM – STILL DOPE ( FEATURING EMPRESS STAHHR THE FEMCEE)
FLYING LOTUS & MF DOOM – LUNCH BREAK
MF DOOM – GUINESSES (FEATURING ANGELIKA & 4IZE)
DAEDELUS – IMPENDING DOOM (FEATURING MF DOOM)
OSMAR MILITO – AMERICA LATINA
MADVILLAIN – RAID
MADVILLAIN – BISTRO
LONNIE SMITH – JEANNINE
MADVILLAIN – FIGARO
DANGERDOOM – SPACE HO’S (MADLIB REMIX)
CHUTE LIBRE – PENELOPE AU BALCON
CLUB DES LOSERS / FUZATI – DEPUIS QUE J’ÉTAIS ENFANT (FEATURING MF DOOM)
KING GEEDORAH – ANTI-MATTER (FEATURING MR FANTASTIK)
KOOL KEITH – SUPER HERO (FEATURING MF DOOM)
DR OCTAGON – BLUE FLOWERS
MF DOOM – GAZILLION EAR (THOM YORKE REMIX)
DANGERDOOM – THE MASK (FEATURING GHOSTFACE KILLAH)
DABRYE – AIR (FEATURING DOOM) (KODE 9 REMIX)
MF DOOM – YESSIR!
VIKTOR VAUGHN – RAE DAWN
MF DOOM – GAS DRAWLS
STEELY DAN – BLACK COW
SEMI OFFICIAL – SONGS IN THE KEY OF TTRYFE (FEATURING MF DOOM)
JOHN ROBINSON – SORCERERS (FEAT MF DOOM & INVISIBLE HANDS)
MADVILLAIN – FANCY CLOWN (FEATURING VIKTOR VAUGHN)
FOXY – MADEMOISELLE
MF DOOM – CORIANDER
J.J DOOM – GUV’NOR
BADBADNOTGOOD – LOS CONQUISTADORES CHOCOLATES
GIL SCOTT HERON – BICENTENNIAL BLUES
FOGG – A WORD OF ADVICE (FEATURING MF DOOM)

• Like 1

I do not think that anyone posted any songs from Nehruviandoom yet. I always thought that this was a charming little project and I bet DOOM was the best Hip Hop mentor anyone could wish for. He really helped Bishop Nehru write some incredible bars. The outro to this song always gets me it is so inspiring!

Today I learned that DOOM produced 4 songs on the Ghostface album Fishscale. Unfortunately he rhymed on none of them. The saturation on ODBs vocal is oh so creamy. Brooklyn Zoo! Brooklyn Zoo!