• 2 months later...

So the script will likely be written in about two hours, I'm sure the first draft will be enough judging by the first film, then they can get busy with casting and scouting locations.

as long as that Lindelof clown isn't involved, then there is a slight chance that this sequel won't entirely suck. i'm willing to torrent it and give it a chance.

I really only saw Prometheus for the visuals. They can do whatever they want with the sequel as long as there is plenty of sweet sweet eye candy.

The characters needed to be as intelligent and discerning as scientists and engineers in space should be, so that when they die in spite of that it actually is scary. The consistency I'm talking about here is crucial to the effect of any sort of suspense or terror. Any sort of realistic relateable dialogue couldn't have hurt much either. The mastery of technology/intelligence beyond our wildest dreams and its still futile efforts against the Murphy's Law fuckitude of the alien life is the theme that separates the good films in this franchise from the bad. It does aspire to be above Freddy vs Jason part 17, but it's just dressed up in a fancier costume. - Roger Ebert Motherfucker

I still stand behind the idea that Weyland hired a bunch of goon scientists, but the main characters should have been more intelligent considering what they pieced together. that was its major flaw

• 1 month later...

20th Century Fox will release a special edition of "Prometheus" Blu-ray on May 16th, which will contain no new footage, but several new featurettes, including one about the future of the franchise.

In the featurette, Jon Spaihts, who wrote the original script that was later re-written by Damon Lindelof, says that the story for the sequel was worked out during the making of the first film.

"Ridley always wanted to to tell a parallel story [to 'Alien']. He knew it would take at least two ['Prometheus'] films," said Spaihts, who went on to confirm that the idea was always for the characters to find god, something Scott previously said as well. "Not god, like the one that people believe in and pray to, but a creator. The being who created the engineers. Don't expect him to be a merciful god."

The writer went on to say that he always loved the idea of having David (Michael Fassbender) meet god. "God created the engineers, the engineers created us, we created robots," he explained. "Now David is on his way to visit god and he's bringing hell with him."

In the original "Prometheus" script, Xenomorphs show up thirty minutes into it, but Lindelof felt that it was too early to deal with the creatures, so he took them out. "I can tell you that Xenomorphs haven't gone away," he hinted about the sequel, adding that we may see new versions of the Xenomorph. "What would happen if a facehugger got its tentacles on god, or on David?"

BRILLIANT!

I like Prometheus for what it was (a solid fun contemporary sf blockbuster). I'll watch any more films like that.

But I probably won't respect them that much, I'll just be entertained.

• 6 months later...

Director Ridley Scott has given an update on Prometheus 2.

Released in June 2012, Prometheus was conceived as a sort of prequel to Scott's 1979 classic Alien. Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace starred as members of a spaceship crew attempting to prevent the extinction of the human race. The film received a somewhat mixed response from critics and sci-fi fans but performed well at the box office, grossing over $400 million (£255 million) worldwide.

2012Prometheus02PR180512.jpg20th Century Fox gave Prometheus 2 the go-ahead in August 2012 but since then progress seems to have been slow. However, Scott insisted the sequel is still in the works at a press conference to promote his new movie The Counsellor, Metro reports, telling journalists: "Prometheus is being written right now. Number two."

Prometheus had a script rewritten by Lost creator Damon Lindelof from an original draft by Jon Spaihts, but Lindelof has confirmed he is not involved in the sequel. This June (2013) it was reported that up-and-coming sci-fi screenwriter Jack Paglen was in negotiations to pen the screenplay for Prometheus 2.

Noomi Rapace spoke about Prometheus 2 in February of this year, telling The Playlist: "They're working on the script. I met Ridley in London a couple of weeks ago. I would love to work with him again and I know that he would like to do another one. It's just like we need to find the right story. I hope we will." Both she and Fassbender are contracted to return for a second film.