Guest KY

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Just got done making a batch of Japanese curry in the pressure cooker, but the carrots and potats are still hard. I think I forgot to push the "stew" button, that's why.

Otherwise the flavor is sublime.

gear without a standby or on/off switch ffs.

This is most certainly the wrong thread for this. But need somewhere to vent..

There was an earthquake in Mexico City last night, it was small on the richter (~3.0) but with an epicenter reeeealy fucking close to me, in the center of the city.  For reference, the horrible earthquake here in september 2017 was 7.1 but a state (150km) away.

But this one last night scared the living shit out of me.  It felt like someone giving one super hard push to the building, and that's it.  Lasted 3 seconds max but you could see/feel the movement.  As a result, I hardly slept last night and had a horrible nightmare about dying in a building collapse.  Basically, it unlocked some traumas that i thought had healed somewhat, and have had pangs of existential dread through the day.

17 hours ago, plugexpert said:

gear without a standby or on/off switch ffs.

omg there's this one fucking mixer that gets rented out all the time by local venues that don't normally host performances.  You just have to yank the plug out and hope for the best every time.  

3 hours ago, markedone said:

This is most certainly the wrong thread for this. But need somewhere to vent..

There was an earthquake in Mexico City last night, it was small on the richter (~3.0) but with an epicenter reeeealy fucking close to me, in the center of the city.  For reference, the horrible earthquake here in september 2017 was 7.1 but a state (150km) away.

But this one last night scared the living shit out of me.  It felt like someone giving one super hard push to the building, and that's it.  Lasted 3 seconds max but you could see/feel the movement.  As a result, I hardly slept last night and had a horrible nightmare about dying in a building collapse.  Basically, it unlocked some traumas that i thought had healed somewhat, and have had pangs of existential dread through the day.

I still have lingering seismic PTSD too. We had a 7.1 at the end of November last year.

Is it just me, or are quakes becoming more frequent around the planet lately?

Had some ribs and they were just ok 

Edited by Stickfigger

11 hours ago, ambergonk said:

I still have lingering seismic PTSD too. We had a 7.1 at the end of November last year.

Is it just me, or are quakes becoming more frequent around the planet lately?

To my knowledge they're happening all over the world and all the time, and attempts at reading into patterns even locally starts to be a subjective task. On the science side they can't quite say: we have been observing x amount of microquakes therefore there is y probability of z; it could be building up to nothing and just as likely a big one could come without warning.

But also on the building side, I'm still not reassured despite working in that industry.. As a design problem seismic forces are well understood in structural calculations.  And there exists technology proven to deal with strong seismic loads (base isolation, etc). But most developers won't invest in that because it's expensive, and will design to just meet code. (There is a good recent article in the ny times about base isolation if you're curious). Then the fact that I've lived in quite old buildings recently.. and the myriad variables such as soil conditions which can change over time etc.

@ambergonk Here is the article i mentioned https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/03/us/earthquake-preparedness-usa-japan.html

I also just read an article about the shallow earthquake(s) my first post were about> https://news.skyalert.mx/sismos-CDMX-sismologia?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=impresiones&utm_campaign=sismos_cdmx Here is a section translated that has me on edge> "Historically, the largest earthquake with epicenter within [mexico city] was recorded 16 years ago, with a magnitude of 4.0, so the occurrence of a major earthquake is unlikely. However, it should not be ruled out that a similar or greater one could occur due to the short time that the faults within the city have been studied with special instruments, 30 years."
30 years is literally nothing in geological time.. even 500 years ago.  Whats to say a shallow 7.0 couldnt just rip this whole place to shreds. ugh

On 7/16/2019 at 12:58 PM, Braintree said:

interested go on GIF

re: the towing debacle, basically I'm the caretaker for a small park. this girl left her vehicle here well after we had closed. gave every attempt i could at finding the owner, waited a few hours, then towed the car. she thinks there wasn't enough signage so she's suing me (there is a large sign that says, among other things, "park closes at dusk" and "overnight parking is prohibited"). w/e, I'm just the guy on site, i don't own the place. 

on a related note, dogs at this park have to stay leashed. There are multiple signs stating so. So I just asked a woman to leash her yippy hyper dog as there are lots of fawns nearby, and MAN she took that poorly. called me a dick, a bastard, a fucker, a fucking bastard, told me to get a life, and flipped me off three times. all i could really do was say "there's a sign right there. I'm just here to enforce the rules" and wave goodbye. I accidentally kinda flipped her off when i did it though, lol. betcha that one leaves a heck of a google review.

Edited by luke viia
  • Like 2

Lanreotide should not cost $24,000 per monthly injection.

Started a new project, which means I need a new project name.  Ffffffffuuuuuuuu :wtf:

14 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Started a new project, which means I need a new project name.  Ffffffffuuuuuuuu :wtf:

Go to the dj name thread :cisfor:

• Like 2

Was very drunk yesterday and didn't post here on WATMM in the process.

It's a missed opportunity to boost the forum quality

10 hours ago, darreichungsform said:

Was very drunk yesterday and didn't post here on WATMM in the process.

It's a missed opportunity to boost the forum quality

oh rlly?

20 hours ago, darreichungsform said:

ppppzz8iiww hhuunn  --  iiff yoouu llooggiinn  ttoo bbaanndcaa.............................................

• Like 1

I keep getting this freaky capri sun advert. wtf???

Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 01.06.52.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chronical said:

I keep getting this freaky capri sun advert. wtf???

Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 01.06.52.png

Is it the new sonic the hedgehog? 

• Like 1

Been working all weekend and haven't taken a shit since Friday, fuuuuuu.

Sent an album out to 15 labels a couple weeks ago (reviewed 40 to see who actually accepts unsolicited demos, etc.), and so far not a single one has pressed play.  Several of them claim to listen to everything they receive, but I call bullshit.  At least the days where you had to waste resources on CDRs and postage each time are over.  And now you can know with certainty that they didn't even give it a chance, rather than just making pessimistic assumptions.

My computer desktop appears to have been replaced by a gaping black void, and the top portion of my browser with minimize, close etc. no longer appear when I hover my mouse up there.  There is no longer any means of escape from the internet, and I am afraid the dank memes thread will consume me at any moment.

Went to 3 local bike shops to get a specific style helmet and none of them had it (even though they're a dealer for the brand). So now I have to order through Amazon or some shit and I hate giving them money.

The last shop was also far too overpriced with their saddles. The last one I bought was like $45 and they're charging nothing less than $100.